* Cannot Save Report as PDF on Mac with Crossover

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
glio
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

Cannot Save Report as PDF on Mac with Crossover

Post by glio »

I am using FHv6.2 with Crossover v19 on a Mac. I cannot work out how to enable Save Report as PDF. When selected I do not get a requester box for destination of the file. FH appears to create the file but it does not appear anywhere on my computer. I can save the report as HTML (with graphics) & rtf or txt (without graphics). Any ideas please.
--
Geoff Culbertson
Petersfield, Hampshire UK
--
Researching Culbertson, Jackaman, Bolingbroke, vander Kerckhove, vanden Berghe, Hall surnames.
Valkrider
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Cannot Save Report as PDF on Mac with Crossover

Post by Valkrider »

Have you installed PDFwriter as mentioned in how_to:family_historian_v6_on_crossover_wine#printing_and_pdf|> Printing and PDF?

The FH PDF Printer does not work as explained in how_to:family_historian_v6_on_crossover_wine#reported_problems|> Reported Problems.
glio
Gold

Post by glio »

I have tried FH novapdf, which wouldn't install. Then I tried BullzipPDFPrinter, which needed .NET Framework v 4 which stalled at the start of the install process. Have also now tried PDFWriter but the install stops when it tries to install .NET Framework.
I'm using MacOS Catalina 10.15.3
--
Geoff Culbertson
--
Researching Culbertson, Jackaman, Bolingbroke, vander Kerckhove, vanden Berghe, Hall surnames.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

As explained in the Knowledge Base references given yesterday, you cannot install any of those Windows based PDF Printer Drivers within Crossover.

You must install the Mac version of such PDF Printer Drivers as https://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfwriterformac/ at the Catalina OS level (not inside Crossover) and then use the FH Print commands.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
mjashby
Megastar

Post by mjashby »

Geoff,

I use the native MacOS app VipRiser - https://onflapp.wordpress.com/vipriser/ - mainly because it's still maintained unlike the other Mac options which have not been updated for years because there is little/no real need for a pure PDF Printer Driver on MacOS when running native apps.

The basic PDF printer functions in VipRiser are provided as 'freeware' (presumably because, for most Mac users, such a facility is completely unnecessary), but there is an advertised pay-ware add-on which provides 'advanced' PDF management features which you can just ignore. Have never seen any prompts to purchase after the initial install.

Mervyn
glio
Gold

Post by glio »

Mervyn,

Many thanks. I have only just got round to installing VIPRiser and it works beautifully.

Geoff
--
Geoff Culbertson
--