* Adding a second place to a fact

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Rich Scats
Gold
Family Historian: V6

Adding a second place to a fact

Post by Rich Scats »

Is it possible to add a 2nd place to a Fact similar to the Immigration & Emigration facts as I have a number of people who crossed the Atlantic and returned to their home country and similarly to other parts of the world so not either true immigration nor emigration. One could apply this penal transportation as well.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Adding a second place to a fact

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

No, only the Immigration and Emigration facts can have two places -- I have modified the Immigration fact to be 'Travelled' and supplement it with notes about the reason for/nature of the travel (and hidden the Emigration fact).

Screenshot 2020-02-02 16.40.17.png
Screenshot 2020-02-02 16.40.17.png (20.53 KiB) Viewed 5732 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

No it is not possible to add a 2nd Place to any Fact at all.
That is an abnormal non-standard FH extension to Immigration and Emigration events only, that does not migrate to any other products because it is outside the GEDCOM standard specification.

See Wish List Ref 559 Fact Descriptor for Civil Union, two Place Travel, Preferred Occupation, etc. that could offer a solution.

See how_to:recording_a_marriage_civil_partnership|> Recording a Marriage/Civil Partnership that explains how to use the TYPE field to rename a fact. Although it focusses on Marriage, the same technique applies to any fact.

See how_to:narrative_report_fact_sentence_templates#custom_fact_fields|> Custom Fact Fields that explains how to add additional custom fields.

Another approach uses a custom Attribute where you could use its Value as the 2nd Place.

Furthermore, the Departure and Arrival are really two different events that not only have a different Place but also a different Date, and those two custom attributes already exist in the Extended Set of facts.
See glossary:work_with_fact_sets#custom_facts_from_other_products|> Custom Facts from other Products that explains how to access the Extended Set.

I am sure one of the above will offer a viable solution.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Rich Scats
Gold
Family Historian: V6

Post by Rich Scats »

thanks for your help Helen & Mike
because I use GedSite a program by John Cardinal to create my One Name Study both Immigration & Emigrate don't show the second place so I need to have rethink
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

My interpretation of the GedSite documentation suggests it does support the 2nd Place field of Immigration & Emigration.
See https://www.gedsite.com/en/sentences.htm under L (location/place) Parameters.
There it specifically says for L:I3
Returns the value of the first custom place value record for an event.
When using Family Historian, the _PLAC record is stored in place 3. In Family Historian sentence templates, the {_place2} variable is mapped to [L:I3].
As the FH Help explains {_place2} is used with immigration and emigration events only as each of these, unlike all other fact types, are associated with 2 places.

BTW: Are you using the Export Gedcom File Plugin to export to GedSite and include the FH Sentence Templates?
I have worked closely with John Cardinal to get those features working satisfactorily.

However, having said all that, two separate facts each with their own Date and Place may be a better solution.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Gedsite can show the second place if you use Mike's plugin: see http://colevalleygirl.co.uk/tree/g1/p17.htm
Screenshot 2020-02-04 06.49.56.jpg
Screenshot 2020-02-04 06.49.56.jpg (61.47 KiB) Viewed 5578 times
JohnnyCee
Diamond

Post by JohnnyCee »

Rich,

As Mike and Helen have indicated, GedSite does support multiple places for an event and when processing FH sentences, it converts the {_place2} variable to [L:I3]. if you are using FH sentences, the 2nd place should work without you doing anything other than using the {_place2} variable. If you are using GedSite sentences, you should add [L:I3] to the sentence template.

The reason GedSite uses "L:I3" rather than "L:I2" is because GedSite uses "L:I1" for the PLAC value and "L:I2" for the ADDR value. If I recall correctly, FH doesn't use ADDR for events (other programs do), so "[L:I2]" will be empty when GedSite reads a GEDCOM file exported from FH.

Also, as Mike mentioned, you should use his Export GEDCOM File plugin rather than the native method in FH.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Correction: FH most definitely does use ADDR Address fields as they are in the standard GEDCOM 5.5 specification that FH closely follows.

Question: If I have interpreted the GedSite documentation correctly, it is not necessary to use the Export Gedcom File Plugin, because the fact _PLAC tag populates the L:I3 item and thus the Sentence Templates are not essential?
i.e.
PLAC maps to L:I1
ADDR maps to L:I2
_PLAC maps to L:I3
and those can all be used in GedSite customisations without needing FH sentence templates.
JohnnyCee
Diamond

Post by JohnnyCee »

Mike,

I am not an expert FH user. When entering an event in FH, I do not recall seeing anywhere to enter an address value separately from the place value. Perhaps I just missed it or do not remember correctly.

Luckily, my recollection of FH doesn't matter to GedSite. It supports PLAC and ADDR for all events and attributes, and for FH it supports _PLAC to enter a second PLAC-type value. GedSite does not restrict _PLAC to certain event types but according to what I read above, FH will only export them for Immigration and Emmigration events.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

John, the Property Box > Facts tab has fields at the bottom for Date, Age, Place, Address, Note and Sentence, plus sometimes a second Place or a Cause field.
Those apply to any of the multitude of standard and custom Events & Attributes.
Maybe you only looked at the Main tab that only offers a few key event Date and Place fields.
In addition there is the All tab that supports all the GEDCOM 5.5 structures.
See the how_to:v4:property_dialogue_in_v4|> Property Box Dialogue Features video that illustrates the tabs including the Address box at about 1min 20secs - 40secs.