* Research Log

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
British Kiwi
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Research Log

Post by British Kiwi »

Hi

I have create a basic Research Log (I have since discovered GenQuiry but having installation issues) and want a bit of guidance on formatting the report and any suggestions for improvement if you see any.

I have created a custom attribute which is post-death (so appears at the bottom of the list). I have included the address to be the repository name (didn't want to mess up PLACes), notes to describe what I have done and the label I use for what I was investigating.

I have a report and have hidden the labels as it was looking stupid. I would like to make each Research log record stand out either with a bit of a gap or a line between each one. I would also would have preferred to have the notes on the final column but looks like that isn't an option. I have attached it to show you what I mean.

It seems to do what I need for now especially in conjunction with the To Do list from the knowledge base. I am trying to decide whether to link the sources I find to the research log too, but am undecided.

Any ideas?
Attachments
Research Log.pdf
(6.7 KiB) Downloaded 371 times
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Re: Research Log

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Re GenQuiry email me at GenQuiry@GenQuiry.com and I'll see if I can sort out the installation issues for you.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

If you add a few blank lines to the end of each Research Attribute local Note field then that adds a gap between the entries.
If you insert a row of underlines then that draws a line also.

Adding Source Citations seems perfectly reasonable to me.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
British Kiwi
Famous

Post by British Kiwi »

Thanks Mike, I will try that.

I tried to have a separate tab for research but I couldn't get it to show as I liked. I was hoping for it to be like the facts tab but just with the research log attribute only. I ended up deleting it and using the facts tab for entry.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

If I understand your technique you have a Research Attribute for each line of research, and use its Value, plus the Date, Address, and Note field.

You should be able to have a box for each of those fields such as.
Item 1: INDI._ATTR-RESEARCH[1] and Date: INDI._ATTR-RESEARCH[1].DATE in Part 1 & 2 on same line.
Address: INDI._ATTR-RESEARCH[1].ADDR in Part 1 on a line of its own.
Note: INDI._ATTR-RESEARCH[1].NOTE2[1] in Part 1 with Variable Height box (optional).

This then repeats for 2nd _ATTR-RESEARCH[2] and 3rd _ATTR-RESEARCH[3] and so on.
British Kiwi
Famous

Post by British Kiwi »

Thank for that Mike. I have managed to fit 4 maybe 5 instances of the attribute. I'm guessing there is no way to have a list box with them all in similar to the fact tab? I am likely to start recording all my research now and this will only show the first five. Not the end of the world as they are on the fact tab too,
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

No, currently there is no way to create a scrollable list, but with a slight variant of design I can easily get a dozen entries, especially in a floating Property Box, and even more with smaller fonts.
ResearchLogTab.png
ResearchLogTab.png (9.72 KiB) Viewed 7745 times
This design puts each ADDRess and NOTE2 in Part 1 & Part 2 of the same Item and not Variable Height.

AND there is nothing to prevent having multiple tabs: Research A, Research B, Research C with say 10 logs on each one.
Baboon281
Diamond

Post by Baboon281 »

Is the GenQuiry programme still available to download.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

I retired Genquiry a long time ago, but you could try the Research Planner plugin. The plugin is available from the plugin store and there's an overview here:
Baboon281
Diamond

Post by Baboon281 »

Okay thanks. I’ll take a look at the plugin but I was trying to find something that I could use as a standalone resource if possible.