* Hidden attribute causing a save problem?

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
DavidNewton
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Hidden attribute causing a save problem?

Post by DavidNewton »

This more of a 'why' question, than a 'solve it' question.
Recently I was trying to tidy up my home made plugins. I opened one for editing made the changes and then got this message
"A problem occurred. Task may not have completed correctly".
However, FH was happy to save the plugin with a different name. After a bit of investigation I found that the problem was due to the hidden attribute having been applied to some of the plugins in the Program Data folder. Turning this on and then off established that this was indeed the problem so simply solved. I have no idea why the hidden attribute was applied but I assume it was when I was restoring the plugin folder after a Windows 10 crash.
But this does not answer the question as to why this causes FH a problem.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Hidden attribute causing a save problem?

Post by tatewise »

I have performed a few more experiments, but not exhaustively on all custom file types.

If a Custom Query file is Hidden then it cannot be updated just like Plugin script files.

However, Custom Fact Types and Custom Reports are unaffected by the Hidden attribute and can be updated.

Whereas Custom Text Schemes get their Hidden attribute cleared if they are edited.

I have come across this type of inconsistent behaviour elsewhere in FH. It is as if Calico Pie have not established suitable guidelines, so the programmers of each feature have done their own thing.

May I suggest you report the problem to Calico Pie but widen the scope to cover all customisation files.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
DavidNewton
Superstar

Post by DavidNewton »

Thanks Mike. I have raised a ticket with Calico Pie support. I will post back on this thread when I get a response.
David
DavidNewton
Superstar

Post by DavidNewton »

Calico Pie responded
Thank for reporting this. We have passed this to the developers for further investigation.
So I guess that is all for now.
David