* Burial Fact Sentence

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
ColinMc
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Burial Fact Sentence

Post by ColinMc »

Discovered an interesting issue with the Burial Fact.

I had noticed for a while that despite entering a Minister as a Witness to several burials, the Burial Sentence text made no reference to the Minister.

After a few experiments, by chance, I discovered that (using the Edit Text from Tools > Fact Types) simply adding a single space character after the text "was buried" caused the Minister info to appear as expected in the Sentence. Resetting to Installation settings also then ensured the Sentence appeared as Expected.

As far as I can see, the Installation Settings version was identical to the Sentence version I opened initially.

Just to be on the safe side, and check I was not imagining this behaviour, I Restored several old Backups, added a new minister witness to a record, and the same behaviour happened. I also checked that each Project Validated OK.

To the best of my knowledge, I had not edited that text before, but even if I had the Installation Settings version seemed identical to that before resetting to installation settings (apart from that extra space).
Colin McDonald - Researching McDonald, McGillivray, Tait, Rountree families
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Burial Fact Sentence

Post by tatewise »

I am not clear about what is happening there.
My Burial definition is probably in Installation Settings mode and works as expected.
Please post a literal Copy & Paste of the two versions that behave and misbehave to see if I can recreate the effect.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ColinMc
Superstar

Post by ColinMc »

Here is code as I was running it

Code: Select all

{individual} was buried {date} <at {address}> {place} {age}. <The burial was attended by {role=attender}. ><The mourners included {role=mourner}. ><The minister at the burial was {role=minister}. ><The rabbi at the burial was {role=rabbi}. ><The priest at the burial was {role=priest}. >
I added a Minister as Witness to the record shown

fact 1.jpg
fact 1.jpg (129.89 KiB) Viewed 7366 times

After the Witness is added, the sentence remains unaltered

fact 2.jpg
fact 2.jpg (44.86 KiB) Viewed 7366 times

Then I edit the sentence text by adding a space after "was buried"

Code: Select all

{individual} was buried  {date} <at {address}> {place} {age}. <The burial was attended by {role=attender}. ><The mourners included {role=mourner}. ><The minister at the burial was {role=minister}. ><The rabbi at the burial was {role=rabbi}. ><The priest at the burial was {role=priest}. >
and as soon as I complete the edit

fact 3.jpg
fact 3.jpg (62.65 KiB) Viewed 7366 times

The Sentence appears as expected.

Of course I've just realised that the Sentence text now includes the alteration you suggested at Template codes (17370), so it is not as installed.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I've tried your code and cannot get it to fail.
If you switch back and forth between codes, do the symptoms switch back and forth?
i.e. The minister... sentence comes and goes?

If you cannot get it to fail now, then it was probably just a temporary side effect of too many changes at the same time.
ColinMc
Superstar

Post by ColinMc »

No switching between code does not make the Sentence alternate.

Since it has happened with several versions of the Project file, going back to October last year, I Think I might decide to r-install the software just in case there are any little issues.

I'm sure there wont be, but better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks for looking anyway!
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

Colin - I may be missing something that you've already thought of - but when you say "After the Witness is added, the sentence remains unaltered" have you done anything to refresh that sentence or not?

I find that if I add a minister (say) and do nothing other than look at the sentence, then nothing happens. I have to click on (say) the previous fact, then on the burial again before the sentence refreshes to include the minister's name.

This applies to all sentences using the witness data, not just burials. What you did was probably enough to induce a refresh.
Adrian
ColinMc
Superstar

Post by ColinMc »

That's an interesting thought.

I'll play with that tomorrow
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Also check you do not have a custom sentence field set for the individual fact, the quick place to check is the All tab.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Jane, we don't think there was a custom Sentence Template because the Burial event Sentence changed whenever modifying the Tools > Fact Types definition.

Also the screenshots show the Sentence box background is beige that indicates the default template applies.
If that box had a white background then that would indicate a specific fact custom template applied.
See how_to:narrative_report_fact_sentence_templates#specific_fact_sentences|> Specific Fact Sentences.
ColinMc
Superstar

Post by ColinMc »

I think Adrian has got the answer!

It does seem as if adding a witness, does not cause a refresh in the Sentence text automatically. As he suggests, the act of making an edit to the code in the Sentence text on its own, seems to have forced the refresh. So the issue was nothing to do with adding a space, it was simply that the software required to force a refresh somehow, and any edit to that text code would have sufficed.

Just to check, I've loaded up a few of the old backups to test, and as expected, the addition of a witness, does not reflect in a changed sentence. But yes, the sentence is updated while still using that original sentence text code, simply by refreshing the fact in the Property Box.

Sorry to have caused a problem with this topic. However it does seem that it might be worth reporting to Calico Pie, or is it one of these "by design" features that Microsoft refer to!
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I think it worth reporting, especially as interestingly if you use Edit > Undo and Edit > Redo to remove and restore the Witness, then the Sentence updates automatically on both changes.
So it appears that after completing the Witness dialogue the trigger to update the Sentence is missing.
ColinMc
Superstar

Post by ColinMc »

I've reported it
ColinMc
Superstar

Post by ColinMc »

Had a reply as follows
Thank you I have made a note for the developers, in the meantime if you select another fact and return to the Fact it will update the sentence, there is no need to close the Witness box to do this.