* getting started

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Mairi
Silver
Family Historian: V6

getting started

Post by Mairi »

hello,
I have just bought the Family Historian software and following all instructions have got it on my computer however after much searching I can't find out how to begin inputting my family info. I have previously had other Family History programs and not had any trouble beginning. I didn't expect to have difficulty before I got going but I am not able to put my tree up and continue researching, I would quite happily just copy it in, if I knew how to.

many thanks in anticipation
Mairi
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: getting started

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Hello, Mairi and welcome.

Before we get started, can you tell us: how do you learn best? We can point you at our how_to:index#beginners_guide|> Beginners Guide if you learn well by reading (or indeed watching videos) but some people learn by doing (including myself) so you might prefer a step by step approach -- ask us for step 1, we'll answer it and so on.

First things first. If you have a tree you'd like to import as a starting point, what programme is it coming from and how have you exported it? FH is pretty good at importing trees from other programmes -- although with some gotchas but we can help you gently through those. how_to:index#importing_to_family_historian|> Importing to Family Historian is good on imports, but we're here to help.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG Mairi.

Have you looked at the Help > Quick Start Guide and Help > Video Tutorials that both explain how to add people?
Also the Help > Getting Started is a good starting point.

Do you want to import an existing family tree from another product as a New Project?
That is also covered in the Help > Quick Start Guide via the Project Window.

Tell us which product you were using before and we can explain how to migrate it to Family Historian (FH).

BTW: Those topics are covered in the how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers that you should have been asked to study when you joined the FHUG.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Mairi
Silver

Post by Mairi »

Yes looked at all the info that came up. But nothing that said get started, there doesn't seem to be a way of inputting information to begin a new tree. Unless I am missing something.

Mairi
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

OK, Mairi -- do you have a tree in another programme you can start from? Or do you want to start a new tree and repeat any work that's been done (many people choose this option if they want to learn from what they've done in the past.)

If you have an existing tree, what programme is it in?

Otherwise, I will give you step by step instructions on how to add individuals and families.

There are two main views in FH of families etc -- the Focus window and the record list. I'm guessing you want to start from the Focus Window, and there's an introduction to the Focus window here, including how to move around and up and down how_to:v4:focus_window|> Focus Window Introduction, Printout, and Customisation

If the Focus Window isn't what appears when you start FH, ask again for Help, but I believe it comes up as default for new users of FH6.

In a new project your Focus Window will be empty except for the starting person you created, probably yourself or maybe one of your parents.
Screenshot 2019-11-30 17.48.59.png
Screenshot 2019-11-30 17.48.59.png (57.3 KiB) Viewed 8830 times
You can click on anything that says 'Add' to add a relative. At this stage you'll want to Create New Record (somebody who isn't already in the project); fill in the box with the details you know about the new individual.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Often when FH starts up for the first time it will show the Focus Window of the Family Historian Sample Project.
To start a new empty Project follow these steps:
  1. Click the File menu and select Project Window
  2. Click the New Project button
  3. Select the Start a new project option
  4. Complete the dialogue to get to a blank Focus Window
Please click the Help menu and select Getting Started that provides a good getting started guide.
The other Help topics of Quick Start Guide and Video Tutorials are also good.
The all explain how to create a new project.

Both Helen and I have asked: Do you already have a family tree in another product?
If so, then tell us which product and we can give step by step instructions to copy it to FH.

Mairi, you are not answering any of our questions, so it is difficult to advise you.
Mairi
Silver

Post by Mairi »

Sorry that I didn't answers I thought I had said in my original list but possibly forgot to put it in!! I have 6 trees ongoing, one is just about completed and will be sent off to its owner in the next week. The others are my family, I have been using Family Tree Software up to now, along with Ancestry! I have been doing genealogy for about 30 ish years now and am well and truly hooked, which is how I got into doing research for other people! The Family Tree that I have been using is now very out of date, I thought this one was simi l at and that it allowed access to Ancestry in the same way as my other package. If I can make a start I will be fine, I will want to upload my trees to this package so that they are all together, but I will have to transfer them from Ancestry as My Fami!y Free program isn't working well enough, I am afraid of losing all my work if I try it that way. Is it possible to upload Trees from Ancestry into Historian ? Many thanks for your help and again sorry I was slow to give more details. If you need any more let me know.
Mairi
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

When you say Family Tree Software, is that a programme on your PC or something online? It's not something I recognise.

In any case, if you have trees on Ancestry, your best option is to use https://www.rootsmagic.com/Essentials/ (free) (which synchronizes with Ancestry) to download your tree from Ancestry (including media -- this is important as very few options for downloading from Ancestry will include media) and then look at how_to:import_from_roots_magic|> Import from RootsMagic (RM) to understand how to import it to Family Historian.

You should be aware that changes in FH will not automatically be synchronised back to Ancestry or any other online tree -- if you want to update an online tree, it is possible on demand not automatically) but there are a few gotchas that we can go through with you. Mike Tate is the guru on that!
Mairi
Silver

Post by Mairi »

Yes it's a program on my computer, I have been using it and updated it since about 2006. But it doesn't synchronise with Ancestry now that stopped a few years ago, I have updated the Ancestry trees by hand. I will have a go at transferring from Ancestry into this program. Thank you for your help.
Mairi
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Mairi, I suspect by Family Tree Software you mean Family Tree Maker that synchronises with Ancestry.
It is a pity that you say Family Tree Maker is not working well.
Perhaps that is because you have not upgraded to the Software MacKiev version as the older versions no longer synchronise with Ancestry.

Family Historian does NOT synchronise with Ancestry nor any other online tree in that way.

If you want that style of synchronisation then either update to latest Family Tree Maker (https://www.mackiev.com/ftm/) or consider using RootsMagic (http://www.rootsmagic.com/).

If you still want to migrate to Family Historian then follow the steps in these guides:
In how_to:import_from_ancestry|> Import from Ancestry website see the Roots Magic advice.
Then use how_to:import_from_roots_magic|> Import from RootsMagic (RM) using the Export Gedcom advice.
That rather complicated process is needed if you want to automatically download Media image files into Family Historian.

Having migrated to Family Historian it is straightforward to upload your family tree to Ancestry (or other online trees) from time to time, but there is no automatic synchronisation, and Media files cannot be auto-uploaded.

My overall impression is that you would like to continue using a program that synchronises with Ancestry.
You were comfortable with Family Tree Maker until it stopped synchronising a few years ago.
If that is still the case then my best advice is to buy the https://www.mackiev.com/ftm/ Family Tree Maker 2019 program costing about £80 and continue where you left off. Family Historian is not the best for you.
Mairi
Silver

Post by Mairi »

Thank you Mike, I will give that some thought, when I was looking to update I couldn't find Family Free Maker any where. But I will look again, you are right I was very comfortable with FTM it worked well for me. Thanks again for the help.
Mairi
trevorrix
Famous

Post by trevorrix »

There were several programs named "Family Tree", but only one named "Family Tree Maker" which is currently owned by Software MacKiev. As you now have Family Historian, a much better program, I recommend that you take the time to learn how to import your trees from FTM to FH. Once you understand the method, it will only take a few seconds.
Trevor Rix
Mairi
Silver

Post by Mairi »

Thanks Trevor that is helpful. I looked at the new FTM. And wasn't very impressed, I am trying to get the hang of Family Historian and hope I will manage it.

Thanks for your reply
Mairi
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Unfortunately, Mairi says her FTM is very old and not working well, so I suspect it is not synchronising with Ancestry.
In that case it cannot be used to migrate her current Ancestry family tree into FH.

The solutions are documented in our how_to:import_from_ancestry|> Import from Ancestry website guide.
If Media images are needed then you must use the RootsMagic Essentials free version and its TreeShare for Ancestry feature, or download the Media images manually one by one and relink them.

We can guide you step by step along the way if that is what you want to do.
Mairi
Silver

Post by Mairi »

Thanks Mike I'm going to have another try to get FTM to work. It was working up to a few days ago, so will try if it does I will transfer my family trees over to Historian! Will let you know how I get on.

Mairi
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

If you can get FTM synchronised with Ancestry then use the how_to:import_from_family_tree_maker|> Import from Family Tree Maker (FTM) guide to migrate your family tree into FH.
Mairi
Silver

Post by Mairi »

Oh thanks for that Mike will try it!

Mairi