* Issues with Clean Up Notes

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
KennethEvans
Diamond
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: Issues with Clean Up Notes

Post by KennethEvans »

I did this multiple times, including three just now. It worked the last time.

This morning it was definitely in the Program List for the test file. When I opened it now the first time, it was not. It was there the second time I opened the test file, but it was not there for the real file when I opened it after that.

The only thing I can guess is that I closed FH without closing the Search and Replace window before going to the next file. I think I closed the Search and Replace window first the last time, though.

This explanation doesn't explain why it was there the second time I opened the test file, but it was not there for the real file when I opened it after that.

In any event I am sure it was in the Program List for the test case many times, and was not there when opening the real file after that. I can't guess what the problem is.
KennethEvans
Diamond

Post by KennethEvans »

Now it's not remembering after I load it to the Project List. FH has stayed up. I have closed and reopened the Search and Replace window. After loading it, it isn't there the next time. It's still in the Program List, though,

I have to go now.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by tatewise »

You said that you "closed FH without closing the Search and Replace window".
That should not be possible because the Search an Replace window and the Manage Presets windows are both modal, so each is locked until the child window is closed. So how did you manage to Close FH without closing the Plugin?

Do you have Search and Replace and Manage Presets windows open at the same time in two instances of FH?
It is important to Close the Manage Presets and Search and Replace Plugin in one instance of FH before opening them in another instance of FH, otherwise the Search and Replace.dat files may not get saved.

Is there anything special about your C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\... folders?
Are they linked to a Cloud Store (OneDrive, Dropbox, etc), or a Backup utility, or another folder?
Is your anti-virus tool over-aggressively scanning modified files and locking them meanwhile?

In the Manage Presets window, trying using New Preset Name to create several Presets in Project List.
Use >> Save >> to Program List for more than one Preset.
In the Manage Presets window is it a case of all or nothing in the Project List and Program List?
If so, that suggests the two Search and Replace.dat files are being temporarily locked by something else.

Try temporarily suspending your anti-virus tool or exclude C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian folder.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
KennethEvans
Diamond

Post by KennethEvans »

Hi Mike,

I'm sorry but I don't have more time available to work on this. I actually like doing this sort of thing, but I have already spent more time on FH than I can justify, and I have other committments, which I can no longer ignore.

I can't say I'm infallible after getting the compare backwards and then not realizing it, but I am pretty careful. I have definitely had the preset in the Program box many times, and it has not been available later. In fact, it only operated correctly once out of 7-8 or more times. I did not have two instances of FH up at any of those times. I do not have Program Data linked to anything, and the other things FH or the plugins store there have worked fine. I might not have closed FH with Search and Replace open. I was not taking notes as I would have been if I were seriously debugging, and I might not have remembered correctly. It was an after thought. In most of those trials I was not doing anything in FH other than test this preset handling. (My database is pretty much cleaned up and working in FH, now.)

You might chalk it up to user error once or twice, but unlikely that many times. If user error, it was too easy to not do it right.

Sorry, and thanks again for your help.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by tatewise »

OK, put it on the back burner for now.
I tried various ways to repeat your symptoms, but could not get it to go wrong.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
KennethEvans
Diamond

Post by KennethEvans »

I have thought of one possible cause. I did look at the Program Data in a text editor at one time. I often leave those open. That could have prevented writing.

The argument against this is that the data were not there and should have been when I first opened it. I am pretty sure I didn't close it during the last 3 tries, the last of which worked.

(I'm not even sure it was open, just a conjecture. I only looked at the file once, early on.)

In the event it couldn't save the settings, I should have got an error message. Unless perhaps they aren't saved until FH shuts down. In the best of all possible worlds, the preset settings should have been saved when I closed that window.

Leaving it on hold is fine. If I get any more information, I will let you know.