* Exporting Gedcom file to Family Tree DNA

Questions about exporting information from FH to other programs and websites
LizzieA
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

Exporting Gedcom file to Family Tree DNA

Post by LizzieA »

I have just received my DNA results from FTDNA and would like to upload my FH Gedcom to their website. MY FH tree comprises both my line and that of my husband, but I only want to upload my part of the tree going back about five or six generations.

I have read Knowledge Base<Exporting a Family Tree with/without Media and I assume that I need to start by using the Export GEDCOM File Command to select the relevant records. My preference then would be to use the Export Gedcom Plugin but as FTDNA is not yet included in the list of products in the Output Formats section, I am unsure exactly how to proceed after that.

Is anyone able to help me with this? Does anyone else have experience of uploading a FH Gedcom to FTDNA?

Many thanks

Lizzie
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Exporting Gedcom file to Family Tree DNA

Post by tatewise »

Hi Lizzie,

You are certainly on the right track, and all the techniques you mention are correct.
If you need any detailed advice about them then please do ask.

I don't recall anyone discussing migrating a GEDCOM file to https://www.familytreedna.com/ before.

I have checked its How to Upload Your GEDCOM advice and it does not specify any details.

So in the Export Gedcom File Plugin start with the Standard GEDCOM 5.5 and Remove all the Multimedia entirely.

After inspecting what gets uploaded you may need to experiment with Standard GEDCOM Draft 5.5.1 and other options.
Since there is no free trial mode I cannot help and you will be our guinea pig.
Any advice about the best settings can be added to the Plugin the next time I update it.
A significant new update is due soon so your feedback will be very pertinent.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
LizzieA
Platinum

Post by LizzieA »

Hi Mike

Thank you so much for your prompt reply which was very helpful. It's nice to know that I'm on the right track, at least to begin with! I may well need to come back to you in due course if I get stuck or need more detailed help.

In any case, I will let you know how I get with using the plugin and uploading the GEDCOM.

Lizzie
trevorrix
Famous

Post by trevorrix »

My issue with FTDNA family trees is that they do not recognise baptism or burial dates and places, only birth and death dates and places. Prior to 1837 where I don't have any birth or death information those people are devoid of any meaningful information on my FTDNA family tree. I am unwilling to corrupt my Family Historian project, just to suit FTDNA, by introducing ficticious or approximate birth and death dates and places where that information does not exist in the records.

Trevor Rix
Trevor Rix
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

That is useful feedback Trevor, and it might be possible for the Export Gedcom File Plugin, when in FTDNA mode, to convert Baptism/Christening into Birth facts where they do not exist, and similarly for Burial/Cremation into Death facts where they do not exist.
trevorrix
Famous

Post by trevorrix »

Mike, I would not want that to happen. I would not want incorrect information showing on my FTDNA tree
Trevor Rix
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry Trevor, I misunderstood your comments, and thought you wanted to substitute dummy Birth/Death details so FTDNA was more meaningful, so I will ensure that feature is optional.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

An optional compromise might be to simply insert just the year from the date, I know it might still be wrong for January events, but it would be obvious they were not accurate dates.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Could add the Approx qualifier to simple dates.
For Range Dates it would reduce to just the year part(s).

BTW: Due to lack of further feedback, I am not actively pursuing any such options currently.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The Plugin Store version of the Export Gedcom File Plugin now has an export mode for (FTD) Family Tree DNA that primarily uses the (Std+) Full Data Standard GEDCOM 5.5 rules together with an option to adjust Baptism & Christening and Burial & Cremation Events into Birth and Death Events respectively with approximates Dates.

If anyone can provide feedback on what GEDCOM features Family Tree DNA supports then the settings can be further refined.
TimTreeby
Famous
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by TimTreeby »

Just to say that FTDNA. will be releasing myFamilyTree 2.0 as from the 18th November.
And also improving the family tree tools over the next few months.

Not sure exactly what GEDCOM facts will be imported into FTDNA when the rollout is complete but suspect that may well be changed from what is there now.

One other thing the new version will allow is to download a GEDCOM from their Family Tree, so may need to check what this download consists of as well.
AnnabelUK
Silver

Post by AnnabelUK »

I just wanted to say "Thank you" for this thread and the help given. I've finally managed to upload my GEDCOM file to FamilyTreeDNA with the help of the Export plugin after spending hours trying to get it to work. :D