* Changing Fact Type from an Event to an Attribute

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
MarionWoolgar
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

Changing Fact Type from an Event to an Attribute

Post by MarionWoolgar »

I made a mistake when I set up a Fact Type called Poor Law - Removal Order because I created it as an Event and I should have created it as an Attribute. Data has been entered in this Fact Type and I don't want to have to do it all again, so I want to make a change.

I have set up a new Fact Type with a working name of Poor Law - Removal Order Attrib in Custom2 Fact Set to distinguish it from the original Event in the Custom Fact Set. I have also downloaded the Change Any Fact Tag Plugin v 2.9 and I have run it. However, when I try and locate my original Event in the Custom Fact Set in the drop down lists, it doesn't appear. Also, when I try and locate the new Attribute in the Custom2 Fact Set, that doesn't appear either.

I am clearly missing something obvious! Can anyone point me in the right direction, please?

Marion Woolgar
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Changing Fact Type from an Event to an Attribute

Post by tatewise »

It sounds like you are using the correct approach Marion.

You are setting Source Tag Set: to Custom and looking in Source Tag Name: for Poor Law - Removal Order.
Similarly, for Target Tag Set: set to Custom2 and Target Tag Name: for Poor Law - Removal Order Attrib.

I assume they are Individual facts and you are using the Individual Records tab in the Plugin.

Are any other of your Custom facts listed in Source Tag Name: ?
Are more listed if Target Tag Set: is set to Custom when looking in Target Tag Name: ?

Is there anything listed when Source Tag Set: is set to <Custom Facts> ?

Have you closed and re-opened FH since creating the definitions in Tools > Fact Types ?

In Tools > Fact Types set the Fact Set filter top left to Custom and tick Show Hidden.
Is your Poor Law - Removal Order event listed with ticks under Visible and Status ?
Similarly for Fact Set filter set to Custom2.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
MarionWoolgar
Gold

Post by MarionWoolgar »

File 3 Custom2.JPG
File 3 Custom2.JPG (75.02 KiB) Viewed 7030 times
File 2 Custom.JPG
File 2 Custom.JPG (72.49 KiB) Viewed 7030 times
File 1 Custom.jpg
File 1 Custom.jpg (100.49 KiB) Viewed 7030 times
Thanks for your reply, Mike. Yes, I thought that I was going in the right direction and then I got lost.

In Tools > Fact Types, I have the original Event and the new Attribute. The original Poor Law – Removal Order (Event) is highlighted in the Custom Fact Set and the new attribute is listed in the Custom2 Fact Set, see File 1 attached.

Yes, both are Individual Facts.
After running Change Any Fact Tag Plugin v2.9 I tried to locate the original Event & the new Attribute in the respective boxes. This is what happened when I completed the Source side, see File 3 attached.

And this is the Target side, see File 4 attached.

As you can see, neither the original Event nor the new Attribute are listed.
Yes, I did close & reopen FH V6.2 after creating the new Fact Type Attribute.

Can you spot anything that I might have done incorrectly, please? If not, could some sort of file corruption be to blame for the difficulty?

Marion Woolgar
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I have to apologise as you have uncovered an unusual bug in the Plugin.
It arises when the Name and Label of the Fact are greater than 22 characters and there is no Abbreviation defined.
That bug will be fixed in the next issue of the Plugin.

In the meantime, change the Label or Abbreviation for such Facts so they are 22 characters or less.
e.g.
Poor Law Removal Order

BTW: Your Poor Law _ Removal Order attr uses an underscore instead of a hyphen.
So that should be deleted and recreated with a hyphen to match the other Poor Law facts.

It does not matter much what Label or Abbreviation you choose, because after using the Plugin you can change them to whatever you like.
MarionWoolgar
Gold

Post by MarionWoolgar »

Thank you, Mike, I altered the Label & Abbreviation as you recommended and I have now been able to make the change from Event to Attribute.

Unfortunately, this has thrown up another problem! the whole point of moving the Poor Law Removal Order Fact Type from an Event to an Attribute is because I needed a field to record the court and session where the order was issued, the place from which the person was to be removed and the place to which they were taken. I thought that I had set this up correctly: {individual} removed <from {_place}> <to {_place2}> {date} {age} , but when I wished to use the Attribute, the second place field was missing. Please see the attached two files containing screen prints.

Again, I can't understand where I have gone wrong? Can you help me, please?
Attachments
Individual Facts.jpg
Individual Facts.jpg (90 KiB) Viewed 6913 times
Fact Def.jpg
Fact Def.jpg (60.62 KiB) Viewed 6913 times
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Unfortunately, only Immigration and Emigration facts can have two places.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

You could use the Place field to record the court where the order was issued and add the other details in the Note field.

I have a Movement Order fact set up (as an event) and put all the details in the Note field. This includes not only the from/to parish but also any background I have on why the person was thought to 'belong' to one parish rather than the other, any family members included in the order and, in one case, the amount of relief paid to the man and subsequently to his widow.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The Immigration and Emigration facts do not adhere to the standard GEDCOM rules that only allow one Place name.
So the 2nd Place won't export to other genealogy products, and is not supported by other facts.
Strangely, FH does not even prevent you using the {place2} and {_place2} codes in other facts.
(This is a recurring theme, and I wish Calico Pie had never added those 2nd Place fields.)

BTW: The field following the Attribute label Poor Law Removal Order: is known as its value and has the Sentence Template code {value} (see Knowledge Base advice below).

To add extra fields, use the Note box with labelled text as explained in how_to:narrative_report_fact_sentence_templates#custom_fact_fields|> Custom Fact Fields.
MarionWoolgar
Gold

Post by MarionWoolgar »

My thanks to you all for your contributions which are very much appreciated. I am very puzzled by the idea that two place names are permitted in an Attribute for voluntary emigration, but are not permitted for internal or external migration that is legally enforced, such as transportation, removal orders, settlement certificates and imprisonment. There is a certain lack of joined-up thinking here as all the above require a second place name.

Thank you also for pointing me towards the article on Custom Facts Fields. I will try and follow it, but at first glance it does look very complicated indeed. I'm just a family historian, not a computer software expert and getting my head around techniques like this is not at all easy.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Firstly, the standard Immigration and Emigration facts are Events not Attributes.
In the GEDCOM standard they only have one Place field just like all other facts (Events & Attributes).
Although FH adheres to the standard, it has added a 2nd Place field just for those two events, using a special technique allowed by the standard, but not recognised by other products.

The other facts you mention do not exist in the standard GEDCOM set, and must be created as custom facts (allowed by the standard) but they also are only allowed one Place. It think you will find most if not all other products have similar constraints.