* Adoption by a Mother who is divorced with spousal children

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
nshortland
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Adoption by a Mother who is divorced with spousal children

Post by nshortland »

Help please Folks,

I have a couple in my tree who married, had two children and later divorced. The Mother never married again and many years later she adopted a disabled son. How do I enter this adopted child? Do I set up a blank spouse family for the Adopting mother? Any advice will be gratefully received.

Regards,
Nick.
Last edited by nshortland on 07 Sep 2019 17:12, edited 1 time in total.
Nick Shortland
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Adoption by a Mother who is divorced with spousal children

Post by tatewise »

In the Mother's Property Box her divorced 1st husband and 2 children are on the 1st Spouse tab.
Select the adjacent Spouse blank + tab and use Add Child to add the adopted child.
In the child's Rel column choose a=adopted.

On the Mother's Facts tab you can also add an Adoption Event and enter whatever details you know with Source Citations as appropriate.

You didn't say if you know that child's actual birth parents.
If you do, then create them as a married couple as usual, then use Add Child to Link Existing Record of the same child.

See how_to:recording_children_with_foster_adoptive_parents|> Recording Children with Foster/Adoptive Parents for general advice, but your case is slightly different because (unusually) the adopting person is not married.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
nshortland
Gold

Re: Adoption by a Mother who is divorced with spousal children

Post by nshortland »

That's what I was thinking Mike. Thanks for the prompt advice.
Nick Shortland