* Ancestors by Generation Narrative: exclude spouse and children for the focus person

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
ctb
Platinum
Family Historian: V6

Ancestors by Generation Narrative: exclude spouse and children for the focus person

Post by ctb »

Hello
Does anyone know how I can NOT include the spouse and children of a person when I run their "Ancestors by Generation Narrative"?
What I'd like to do is just have the person and then their ancestors - main reason being they had a lot of children for whom I have input a lot of information and it isn't relevant...

Also, is there a way of suppressing the record attribute numbers for each person, as I feel I don't need each person to be numbered.

Many thanks!
LornaCraig
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Ancestors by Generation Narrative: exclude spouse and children for the focus person

Post by LornaCraig »

Use the Report Options>Main tab.
To exclude Record IDs, untick the Record ID item (this is not ticked by default).
To exclude children, untick the Child Events/Attributes option. (You may want to leave the Ancestors' Children option ticked)
The Marriage Events/Attributes section can be set to Exclude list and also untick Auto-generate Sentences if Missing Facts.
To exclude the spouse's individual facts, untick Non-Ancestral Spouse Events/Attributes and Non-Ancestral Spouse Record Notes.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Ancestors by Generation Narrative: exclude spouse and children for the focus person

Post by tatewise »

Lorna's advice explains the available Options perfectly well.

BUT the Child ... and Non-Ancestral Spouse ... settings apply to all generations and not just those of the focus/root person.
There are no other settings that would only apply to the focus/root person.

The only other possibility involves using Save Report As > Word-Processor Document (RTF) and editing the Report in a word-processor to remove the text you don't want.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ctb
Platinum

Post by ctb »

Many thanks Lorna, I really appreciate that; unchecking "Child Events/Attributes" worked a treat - thank you.
The "record id" is indeed unchecked but still seems to list everyone with a number (1,2,3,4,5,6 etc); it's not a big deal but seems a bit pointless.
Thanks again for your help!
ctb
Platinum

Post by ctb »

Thanks to you too Tatewise. Your message slipped in whilst I was implementing/trying out Lorna's suggestions and discovering what you rightly say about "settings apply to all generations and not just those of the focus/root person. There are no other settings that would only apply to the focus/root person".
Thank you also for the RTF document option - that seems like a great idea!
Thanks again.
ctb
Platinum

Post by ctb »

Have just tried the RTF option, but unfortunately it doesn't look too good and the photos are not aligned with the individuals....
So, back to plan B (or is it plan T?!) and manually editing the underlying data in the document. But what I can't see is how I can change the text when it says for a couple and kids who are still alive that "xx and yy HAD child a and child b". It makes them sound like they are dead!
Any advice, please?
Many thanks
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The numbers are cross-references between the main Ancestors and the lists of Children so their details are not repeated.

I assume the underlying data in the document you plan to edit is the Sentences for the Facts of Children you want to exclude.
I suggest you do that in a temporary Copy of your Project or create a GEDCOM only Backup and restore that afterwards.

I don't think xx and yy had the following children sounds so bad.
After all, their births were historical events. Anyway there is no way to change it in FH.
ctb
Platinum

Post by ctb »

ah, OK, thanks! Not being *able* to change it certainly takes away the stress of trying to do so :-)
Thanks for your help - and I much appreciate you sending it this evening as I would have been burning the midnight oil (yet again) as I finally, three years later, get ready to send my report to my waiting family. Actually, I think they've given up any expectation that I will send them anything, so they will have a nice surprise in a day or two!!
Thanks again
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I have found a solution to hiding your focus/root person's Spouse and Children details.

Set the Living Flag on each of them and in the Report > Options > Privacy tab, tick the Show basic details only for Individuals where this flag is set: Living option.
If you prefer, you can use the Private Flag and change the right-hand drop-list entry to Private.

You can also experiment with the other Privacy options.

Using the above options allows various levels of detail to be included just for those chosen Spouses and Children without needing to edit any other Project data. Sorry I did not think of that feature before :oops:
ctb
Platinum

Post by ctb »

That's brilliant, thank you so much Tatewise!