* Given Names

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
malcolm.perrins
Family Historian: V7

Given Names

Post by malcolm.perrins »

I'm testing FH as a replacement for TMG. In TMG I have many non-people such as newspapers. All of these newspapers have the family name of Publication so that they appear together in an index. The sentence output in TMG only displays the Given Names, for example a newspaper entered in TMG as Sydney Morning Herald Publication would show as Sydney Morning Herald. These newspapers are all witnesses to events e.g. marriages, burials, probate notices, obituaries, etc.

Is there any template code for witnesses in FH to output only all given names?
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Given Names

Post by tatewise »

There are really two issues.

Newspaper articles are not really witnesses but actually Sources that should be added as Citations.

Regarding the Sentences they can be customised, but may be a bit tricky for a newcomer.
See how_to:narrative_report_fact_sentence_templates|> Narrative Report Fact Sentence Templates.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
malcolm.perrins

Thanks tatewise.

I do treat newspapers as sources but I also treat them as witnesses. Others treat other non-persons e.g. ships as witnesses.

I've tried {=GetFieldText(GetContextItem(WITNESS),"%~.NAME:GIVEN%")} but all I get is the first name of the set of given names not all given names.

Is there a solution?
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Use GIVEN_ALL

A good way to view all the qualifiers is to use data reference prompt to select the field and check the text at the base which explains the option.

I am with Mike on your use of Newspapers as individuals, but one thing with FH it's accommodating of different ways of working.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
malcolm.perrins

Thank you Jane.

{=GetFieldText(GetContextItem(WITNESS),"%~.NAME:GIVEN_ALL%")} works very well in the sentence for the witness:

<para>{date} the {=GetFieldText(GetContextItem(WITNESS),"%~.NAME:GIVEN_ALL%")} published the Obituary of {principal}<para>{note}

But does not work at all in the sentence for the principal. Also how do you output the contents of the note field in italics?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I suggest you read the FH Help page for the GetContextItem() function.
It is deprecated, and only works in Witness Sentence Templates.

It is not possible to set any font styles (such as bold or italics) for any text anywhere in Reports.
This is the most significant feature missing from FH.
See Wish List Ref 20 Word-processing facilities for note and source text (italics, bold, tables, etc) and Vote for it.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry