* Where are the Citation Details from TMG

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
Senelstune

Where are the Citation Details from TMG

Post by Senelstune »

Folks,

I need to edit a Citation Detail that supports a Source imported from TMG.

I know that the Citation Detail has arrived into FH, because I can see the Citation Details in a Ancestors by Generation Report. However, I just can't find the Citation Details to make an edit.

I can find the Source record in FH - but I cannot see the Citation Detail in the Main, Media, Notes or All tabs. So, it is there somewhere otherwise it wouldn't print in a report.

Can you point me in the right direction please ?

Any help much appreciated.

john
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Where are the Citation Details from TMG

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Have you checked in the Citation for the fact it is cited against?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Since you know the Source record you can track down the Citation in many ways.
See how_to:finding_where_records_are_used|> Finding where Records are used for general advice.

In this case, select the Source record and run the Where Used Record Links Plugin.
In the Result Set double-click on any Field Where Used cell to open its Property Box.
Ensure the Show Sources yellow scroll icon in toolbar is enabled so the yellow Sources For pane shows Citations.

If the same details appear in multiple Citations, you will have to correct each one, which may be possible using Copy & Paste.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Senelstune

Post by Senelstune »

Found it thanks. I just needed a bit more penetration of the layers to discover the text. I found the Citation Details 4 layers down, here :-

Fact
.. Source
.. .. Data
.. .. .. Text From Source which contains the Citation Details.

Thanks for the hint.

john
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

John, it sounds like you were tediously navigating down on the All tab of the Property Box?

If instead you open the Facts tab and select the Fact the Citation shows its Text From Source in the yellow Sources For pane adjacent to the Property Box, but for that pane to be visible you must enable the Show Sources yellow scroll icon in toolbar above. You may have to select the appropriate Source if more than one in order to see its Citation.

You can then edit that Text From Source field directly.
But as I said it may need repeating in other equivalent Citations.

See glossary:sources#linking_to_sources_via_a_citation|> Linking to sources via a citation for a screenshot of the Show Sources yellow scroll icon and the yellow Sources For pane. It is also in Help > Quick Start Guide > Cite Your Sources.
BTW: We are not sure why that yellow pane is named Sources For when it is actually showing the Citations.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Mike, BTW I completely understand why the yellow pane is called Sources for -- it's showing the Sources For a given Assertion (Fact).
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

But it does not show the Source(s) in full, only the Title(s) unless you click on [+], but it does show all the Citation fields.
I guess the Sources For: label only really applies to the top drop-list box, and the yellow pane has no overall name.
It would be more user friendly for the whole yellow pane to have its own name.
Having said that, the Property Box does not label itself as such either !
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Mike, I was mostly objecting to you saying "we" when what you meant was "I" -- it's a pet peeve, which I nurture assiduously.

It does however identify the Sources -- which is what I feel it should do (most often, I don't need the details) -- and displays the unique Citation data.

And now I think we should return senelstune to his usual programming/the subject he asked about.
Senelstune

Post by Senelstune »

Thanks Helen and Mike,

I have no comment to make on the to's and fro's between you here, apart from to say how much I appreciate the collective wisdom. It is especially valuable as the content of the discussion has assisted in my broader understanding of the way FH deals with Facts and Citations.

BTW Helen, I watched from afar your recent conversation with John Cardinal. We could have a private email chat sometime.

Thanks again to you both.

john