* Family History Projects Disappeared

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Sheila
Family Historian: None

Family History Projects Disappeared

Post by Sheila »

I'm using FH v 6.0 and all my Family History Projects are missing from the Project Window today. I've tried my PC's 'system restore' dated 3 days ago, but this hasn't worked. I was successfully using them 1 day ago. Can anyone offer a suggestion where I might look for them, other than resort to working my way through the back ups?

Thanks
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Family History Projects Disappeared

Post by tatewise »

In your File > Project Window what is the Location: set to?
That determines where FH is looking for your Projects.
The default is My Documents\Family Historian Projects but what does yours say, and is that where you save your Projects?

Have you always saved your Projects in the default Location: or have you relocated them somewhere else?

Is it possible that the Family Historian Projects folder has been moved?
If you open Windows File Explorer can you find that Family Historian Projects folder?

The fix for this problem is to ensure File > Project Window has its Location: matching where your Projects are actually saved.

BTW:
You mention FH V6.0 and your Profile on the right says Family Historian: None
You should upgrade to latest free V6.2.7 from https://www.family-historian.co.uk/down ... ee-upgrade
Also click your username Sheila top right and choose User Control Panel. Then on its Profile tab, select Family Historian V6.2 and scroll down to Submit.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Sheila

Post by Sheila »

I've always saved to the default location and I agree it may somehow have moved as Location shown is now different. However, if I click on it nothing appears? (Have attached screenshot - I hope.)
Issue with Project Windows disappearing.docx
Can I change it back to 'default location' without affecting the programme's content?

If I open Windows File Explorer what do I look for to find the Family Historian Projects folder?

Many thanks for your time.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

To attach a screenshot see the advice at info:forums#posting_topics|> Posting Topics and use the Attachments tab.

To reset the Location: to default, left-click on blue pathname and choose Reset Location to Installation Default or click More Tasks > Project List and choose that same option. It will not affect your Project database contents.

See how_to:v4:understanding_projects|> Understanding Projects for more background details.

In Windows File Explorer open your Documents folder (i.e. C:\Users\<Sheila>\Documents) and the Family Historian Projects folder should be listed there (unless you have chosen to backup Documents to OneDrive in which case you need to look in C:\Users\<Sheila>\OneDrive\Documents).

Did you see my BTW advice in my first reply?
Sheila

Post by Sheila »

I've found the missing items! They were in:-
<Documents\Email addresses\Family Historian Projects>

I have no idea what happened to move them to this odd location, but everything FH related had moved - even Word articles I'd copied.

I've successfully moved them back to the Projects Window, but could you advise what part of the program I should move the 'FH Gedcom Backup Zipped' Files to. Is it the same location i.e. Family Historian Projects?
Documents\Family Historian Projects\Sheila's Tree\Public>

I did see your BTW advice thanks, but did not want to upgrade and add to my confusion until I'd sorted the problem.

Many thanks for your help.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, that is odd, but probably an accidental click & drag in Windows File Explorer might have done it.

It is not too important where the 'FH Gedcom Backup Zipped' files are saved, as long as you stick to a consistent regime.
I guess they are currently in the Documents\Family Historian Projects\Sheila's Tree\Public folder, which is fine?
( I keep mine in a Documents\Family Historian Projects\Backup folder. )
However, it should match the FH Tools > Preferences > Backup > Default Backup Folder: setting.

What is crucial is that you backup all important files externally to your PC (e.g. DVD, OneDrive, external hard drive).
See glossary:backup_and_recovery|> Backup and Recovery for detailed advice.
That advises using the Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings Plugin to preserve all your customisations, as they are NOT saved in Project backups.

I understand your decision regarding my BTW advice.
Danielbaker2
Silver
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by Danielbaker2 »

From Files > Project Window, click More Tasks ...
> On the resultant menu, Choose Project list.
Three choices on the side there.
You may want to select Choose Location for Projects if where they got moved to is workable for you to stage images and other reasons.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Thank you Daniel, but Sheila resolved that last Friday and successfully recovered her Projects.
We have now moved on to backup regimes.