* Customize Vertical Lines

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
drathgen
Platinum
Family Historian: V6

Customize Vertical Lines

Post by drathgen »

My tree extends quite wide and would certainly fit a landscape size A4 page. One the other hand a portrait orientation would be much more convenient. Once before I did manage to pull down selected boxes so that they automatically 'bunched up' thus using much less space and would fit neatly onto an A4 portrait.
Now FH6 declines to cooperate.
FHUG Verticle bar.jpg
FHUG Verticle bar.jpg (111.33 KiB) Viewed 4421 times
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Customize Vertical Lines

Post by tatewise »

You have the Movement Control Box open, so should be able to select the box (not the bar above) and drag it up & down.

Try the Diagram > Options > Orientation: Left-right that tends to be narrower & taller so may fit Portrait better.
Also in the Movement Control Box try reducing the Scale.

How are you using the Diagram?
Is it printed in isolation or integrated into a Book?
Have you tried Diagram > Save Diagram As > PDF File (.pdf) and accepted the default One Page option, then it should be possible to view/print the PDF file as required.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
drathgen
Platinum

Re: Customize Verticle lines

Post by drathgen »

I am preparing my chart for a book.
No, I try the box by itself but no, the whole chart moves, not the box alone.
I've altered the scale which means it fits onto a Portrait page, and I've saved it to a .pdf/one page etc - all of which is great.
But I have another tree with 13 children - and once upon a time I did find that single boxes with lines could be extended vertically, allowing the others to 'bunch up' together very neatly. But not today.
Not sure what else to do at the moment - but assistance appreciated.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Make sure you have selected the option as Mike suggested in the movement control box
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

With the Movement Control Box open, ensure you have Box & Bar selected, as in your original screenshot.
(Any other option won't work.)

Then when the cursor moves over a box it becomes a cross with four arrow heads, and by holding down left mouse button the box can be dragged up & down.
drathgen
Platinum

Post by drathgen »

Here is an earlier tree I made with the one person selected and vertically extended downwards.
FHUG Vertical lines.jpg
FHUG Vertical lines.jpg (162.04 KiB) Viewed 4249 times
And yes, I have tried the options you recommended; but so far the whole tree moves, not the one box with line I wish to move.
Cheers
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

That is really very peculiar :?

Does the cursor change to a cross with four arrow heads when moved over a box?

Can you move the box Eduard Heinrich RATHGEN shown in your latest screenshot?

Can you open the Family Historian Sample Project and move a box in any of its Diagrams?

Can you try each type of Diagram, namely Descendant, Ancestor and Descendant & All Relatives?

Is there any significant change to your PC setup since the feature last worked?

As a last resort, try re-installing FH V6.2.7 downloaded from https://www.family-historian.co.uk/down ... ee-upgrade
drathgen
Platinum

Post by drathgen »

Thanks for all those suggestions. I have not yet re-installed the program, but as yet none of the other attempts worked. :(