* Advice about my own FT

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
TonyVella
Gold
Family Historian: V6

Advice about my own FT

Post by TonyVella »

I am originally from Malta and the following is (or, at least, was) common to all Maltese families.
The Vella FT is rather easy and uncomplicated:
GG Father: Toni Vella
G Father: Toni Vella
First-Born Uncle: Toni Vella
Father (Second-Born): Victor Emanuel Vella
Myself: Toni Vella (Toni>Tonju>Antonju>Antonjo>Antonio>Anthony>Tony.)
However, my father married a Cordina; one of 6 siblings of a Giuzeppi Cordina.
If I considered doing my own FT, should I combine the Vellas with the Cordinas or should I do 2 separate trees?
I thank you in advance for all opinions (and jokes).

The biggest joke: I got my Post-Graduate Catedrático en Filosofía under the name Juan-Antonio Cordina de Vella. When I travel to Buenos Aires I still have problems signing documents; Tony Vella comes to hand so readily that I have to concentrate to sign J-ACdeV.
Tony Vella
Ottawa, Canada.

I believe that 3 weeks after I fall off my perch no one will even remember my name.
Valkrider
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Advice about my own FT

Post by Valkrider »

It is your choice which way you do it. However, the recommended way is all in one Family Historian Project. As you go further in your research you may well find that there are other marriages between the Vella family and the Cordina family and having it all in one project ensures that data is not duplicated and gives you an overall view of your ancestors.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

It is advisable to have just one 'extended' family tree.

If you pursue the idea of putting your mother's ancestors in a separate tree, then you would also produce another ancestor tree for your G Mother, and another for your GG Mother, and so on for every other wife.

If you go for separate trees, then descendants of any marriage would only appear in one tree, or you would have to duplicate that data in two trees, which is not a good idea.

It is quite easy to produce sub-trees of say your mother's ancestors from the one 'extended' family tree. If that is ever needed.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

I would also go for the single tree. Over the years I have become the "Family Genealogist" so my Project contains branches not only of my Family but my husbands family and my sisters husbands family.

I wrote an article about the options a while ago and it can be found here
https://www.taubman.org.uk/family/wp/20 ... t-or-many/
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
dewilkinson
Superstar

Post by dewilkinson »

I would also recommend one tree. FH can handle very large trees without difficulty. As has been said reports can produce sub-trees as required. I also think if you went the way of separate trees you will have many problems in the future and be unable to produce proper ancestor diagrams.
David Wilkinson researching Bowtle, Butcher, Edwards, Gillingham, Overett, Ransome, Simpson, and Wilkinson in East Anglia

Deterioration is contagious, and places are destroyed or renovated by the spirit of the people who go to them
steveflanuk
Diamond
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by steveflanuk »

Another single tree vote from me. If it wasn't for a single tree then I may not have found out that my maternal great grandfather served on the same ship as the brother of my paternal great grandfather in WWI - just over 50 years prior to the marriage of my parents!!
TonyVella
Gold
Family Historian: V6

Post by TonyVella »

OK folks, you have convinced me. A single tree it will be!
Thanks again to all for taking the time.
Tony V.
Tony Vella
Ottawa, Canada.

I believe that 3 weeks after I fall off my perch no one will even remember my name.
GeneSniper
Superstar

Post by GeneSniper »

It's another vote for one tree. The way I look at it is that I could do my tree and wife's separately but linking them would just be like my daughters doing their tree and I don't see the point of not finding out all the scandal on my wifes side to help cancel out all the scandal on mine :lol:
William

* Illegitimi non carborundum *