* Sources After GEDCOM download to FH from Legacy

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
irishcopper13
Family Historian: V6

Sources After GEDCOM download to FH from Legacy

Post by irishcopper13 »

I am new to FH, but not new to using programs for genealogy. I was recently using Legacy and had too may issues with that program, so have switched to FH 6. I followed the Knowledge Base instructions to make a GEDCOM file from Legacy to download to FH. After a few attempts those family files seem to be intact, except for my Sources. I am a Source "Splitter", I use both the MLA citating and few of the "Lumping" citations.
My problem is that none of my Sources have a "Type", even though Legacy clearly has a type format. Also, I have dozens of sources that have the Title of database. How do I go about editing my Sources? Do I really have to do each one individually? I also seem to have missing sources, one in particular is a "lumped" newspaper source for "American Obituaries and Death Notices". Is there an easy way to find that?
I hope someone can solve this frustrating problem, and I have the book that goes with this program, but could not find my answer in that or this forum.
Thank you
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Re: Sources After GEDCOM download to FH from Legacy

Post by Jane »

The first thing to check is the contents of your exported Gedcom file to see if the Type field was exported at all, you can open the file in a Text editor to search for one of the Type values, it may be the data is there.

You can do the same for your missing source, check if you can find the title in the file, if not it's possible Legacy did not export it.

If not you could use a plugin script to set the Type values. Some one here can help with that.

I am not quite clear what you have with your Database sources. Is there more information in them at a lower level?
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG.
I have move this to the Importing and Exporting Forum that is more appropriate.

Another way to find items is to use the Edit > Find dialogue.

All Source records should be listed in the Records Window on the Sources tab, which has a filter to search for titles.
In the Property Box check the All tab where all data fields are shown, and that may not be listed on the Main tab.

The snag with Source Type codes is they are non-standard GEDCOM in FH and probably in Legacy too, so might not migrate.

However, if those codes are in the Legacy GEDCOM then they will almost certainly be in FH but as Uncategorised Data Fields (UDF), so have you tried the how_to:handling_unrecognised_data_fields|> Handling Uncategorised Data Fields (UDF) advice, as recommended near the end of how_to:import_from_legacy|> Import from Legacy Family Tree (LFT)?

Have you reviewed the Exception Reports produced by FH on creating the new Project? See Window > Log Files.

There are many Legacy migrants here who may give further advice.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
DavidNewton
Superstar

Post by DavidNewton »

As an experiment using FH6.2 and Legacy 8 I exported an FH file to Legacy and then imported it back to FH. The type data is there as a UDF in the All tab of the Source Record. Looking at the GEDCOM files in notepad the differences are exemplified below

FH-Legacy-FH Import
@S1156@ SOUR
1 TITL GRO Death Index
1 ABBR "GRO Death Index"
1 REFN +GRO Death
1 MEDI 2 GROD

FH Original
0 @S26@ SOUR
1 TITL GRO Death Index
1 ABBR "GRO Death Index"
1 _TYPE 2 GROD
1 REFN +GRO Death

How you convert the MEDI tag to a _TYPE tag using FH I don't know.

David
irishcopper13

Post by irishcopper13 »

Thanks everyone for your input. I will review your ideas and see what works.
Last night I went back to my Legacy program to compare how the sources look with how they look in FH. It looks like the source titles actually transferred over as the "Short Title", so in my largest family file I have 498 sources to fix.
I figured out how to add a Type to each source, but really don't want to have to do all this additional work to fix 6 family files.
Thanks,
Pen
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

One of the advantages with Family Historian is the ability to write a plugin to sort out data on import.

So a simple plugin and copy or move the short title to the title and move the medi field to the _type field.

There are a few in the downloads which already do some of this. So if you have a full version rather than a trial they can be "tweaked" to do what you want.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
irishcopper13

Post by irishcopper13 »

Under options for Sources I clicked on Using "Short Titles" as Names, and that solved one issue.

I used the plugin UDF List to get a list of the "Exception Report" and have a list containing almost 2300 items! So, according to the Knowledge Base ideas I downloaded the plugin "Change Any Fact Tag", but not sure how to use it. I have noticed that instructions for a lot of things are not very helpful, not clear at all as to how to do the task at hand.
As for writing a Plugin myself...that is not going to happen, as I absolutely detest writing code. This I know from just completing a class, last month, in writing databases.

This is a small example of what is on my list;
"_NAME" "INDI.BURI.ADDR._NAME"
"CITY" "INDI.RESI.CITY"
"SOUR" "DATE" "SOUR.DATE"
"LATI" "INDI.BURI.ADDR.MAP.LATI"
"INDI" "LONG" "INDI.BURI.ADDR.MAP.LONG"
"MAP" "INDI.BURI.ADDR.MAP"
"NAME" "INDI.RESI.NAME"

Pen
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

OK, you looked at UDF, but did you try any of the other ideas, such as Edit > Find and the Source All tab, especially for the missing Source Type field.

how_to:import_from_legacy|> Import from Legacy Family Tree (LFT) explains how to handle _PLAC_DEFN Place Definition for location Lat/Longitude values, and that should fix those MAP, MAP.LONG, MAP.LATI UDF.

The SOUR.DATE UDF is a known problem with Legacy not adhering to the GEDCOM specification. We need to understand what that DATE represents to decide how to fix it.

Not sure why NAME details are associated with ADDRess details. That needs explanation to decide how to fix.

I suspect the reason for instructions not appearing very helpful is largely down to the terminology used in FH that differs from Legacy, and is a common problem migrating between genealogy products. Once you become more familiar with the FH concepts the instructions will become clearer. BTW: The Change Any Fact Tag Plugin won't help with the UDF examples you listed because the Fact Tag is the one immediately after INDI that are all OK in your examples.

Are there any Legacy migrants out there that recognise any of the issues being experienced by Pen?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry