* Can't make multiple selections with CTRL-Click in FH 6.2.7 running under Win10 and VMware Fusion

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
ShaneB
Gold
Family Historian: V6

Can't make multiple selections with CTRL-Click in FH 6.2.7 running under Win10 and VMware Fusion

Post by ShaneB »

Hi all

The subject lines says it all. I find I can't make multiple selections using Control OR command OR Option-Control + mouse click in FH running under Windows 10 on a Mac and VMware Fusion.

I could do this previously, but not now. Anyone have this issue - or even better, does anyone have a solution?

With thanks in advance
Shane Baker
Perth, Western Australia
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Can't make multiple selections with CTRL-Click in FH 6.2.7 running under Win10 and VMware Fusion

Post by tatewise »

There is no problem in native FH v6.2.7 in native Windows 10 v1803 so I suspect VMware Fusion.

That is a fairly rare configuration, so I doubt if many, if any, other users have that setup.

As usual with things that once worked and now don't work, the question is what changed in between?
Have any of Windows 10 or VMware Fusion or the Mac OS been updated since it last worked?

Have you any other apps you can check that form of multiple selection?
e.g. In Windows 10 File Explorer can you multi-select files?

It may be a matter of software forensics to discover by trial and error what works and what does not in different apps.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
mjashby
Megastar

Re: Can't make multiple selections with CTRL-Click in FH 6.2.7 running under Win10 and VMware Fusion

Post by mjashby »

Shane,

See - http://vcdx56.com/2019/01/vmware-fusion ... t-working/ - Hopefully it might provide the solution, but I don't use VMWare so can't test.

Apple have upped their system security in recent OS updates, including introducing 'software notarization' whatever that might mean, which seems to have limited the initial usability of some third party apps including virtualisation software, so you may need to check security settings after any significant OS update. Much the same for recent Windows 10 releases where Micosoft's own vritualisation software (built in to PRO versions of Windows 10) seems to be on a mission to block the functionality of as much third party software as it possibly can.

Mervyn
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

I noticed the same today after updating VirtualBox yesterday (I wonder if they are using the same base) I did, however, manage to do multi select with the mouse and the shift key.
ShaneB
Gold

Post by ShaneB »

tatewise wrote:There is no problem in native FH v6.2.7 in native Windows 10 v1803 so I suspect VMware Fusion.

That is a fairly rare configuration, so I doubt if many, if any, other users have that setup.

As usual with things that once worked and now don't work, the question is what changed in between?
Have any of Windows 10 or VMware Fusion or the Mac OS been updated since it last worked?

Have you any other apps you can check that form of multiple selection?
e.g. In Windows 10 File Explorer can you multi-select files?

It may be a matter of software forensics to discover by trial and error what works and what does not in different apps.
Thanks Mike.

I can do multiple selections in File Explorer and indeed, I can do multiple selections everywhere in FH except Record Links.

Any suggestions are welcome as I'm stumped!

Regards
Shane Baker
Perth, Western Australia
ShaneB
Gold

Post by ShaneB »

mjashby wrote:Shane,

See - http://vcdx56.com/2019/01/vmware-fusion ... t-working/ - Hopefully it might provide the solution, but I don't use VMWare so can't test.

Apple have upped their system security in recent OS updates, including introducing 'software notarization' whatever that might mean, which seems to have limited the initial usability of some third party apps including virtualisation software, so you may need to check security settings after any significant OS update. Much the same for recent Windows 10 releases where Micosoft's own vritualisation software (built in to PRO versions of Windows 10) seems to be on a mission to block the functionality of as much third party software as it possibly can.

Mervyn
Thanks Mervyn.

Yes, I'd looked at that previously and even went back, deleted VMF and re-included it. No good I'm afraid.

Regards
Shane Baker
Perth, Western Australia
ShaneB
Gold

Post by ShaneB »

Valkrider wrote:I noticed the same today after updating VirtualBox yesterday (I wonder if they are using the same base) I did, however, manage to do multi select with the mouse and the shift key.
Thanks Colin

As you'll see from my other posts, this issue is specific to one list (Record Links) in FH.

Weird!

Regards
Shane Baker
Perth, Western Australia
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Can you clarify what you mean by the Record Links list?
Are you referring to the list obtained by selecting a single record and then using View > Record Links? In that list of links it has never been possible to select more than one record because the Go To action opens the Property Box for the selected record and you cannot have multiple Property Boxes open.
Lorna
ShaneB
Gold

Post by ShaneB »

LornaCraig wrote:Can you clarify what you mean by the Record Links list?
Are you referring to the list obtained by selecting a single record and then using View > Record Links? In that list of links it has never been possible to select more than one record because the Go To action opens the Property Box for the selected record and you cannot have multiple Property Boxes open.
Thanks Lorna - and everyone. I appreciate the advice.

I've been trying to follow a YouTube video's process for merging duplicated families, but it turns out there's a much simpler method - presumably due to updates to FH.

All's well now.

Regards
Shane Baker
Perth, Western Australia