* reinstallation

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
wigansaint
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

reinstallation

Post by wigansaint »

Hi, I recently had to purchase a new laptop and am currently re-installing my software. I have a disc of V.4 which I have installed.Originally I also downloaded V.5. I have found a download of V.5 in the download archive.

However the product key I have to activate the program does not work. Is there any way of checking if the key I have is correct?

Also if I decide to download V.6 will I have to have V.5 installed first before I can upgrade?
Jane
Site Admin

Re: reinstallation

Post by Jane »

If you had a V5 upgrade from 4 you need to install using the V4-V5 upgrade program. If you did not keep a copy you will have to ask Calico Pie support to resend a link for you.

If you purchase a V5-V6 upgrade you can install that with out installing V5.

This is all covered in how_to:family_historian_installation_details|> Family Historian Installation Details.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, to install any recent upgrade V4 to V5 or V5 to V6 you need that latest installation media and the Licence Keys for the current and previous versions. You do not need to install any previous versions, and the online downloads will not work with those Licence Keys.

If you have mislaid any of the above then see how_to:family_historian_licence_problems|> Family Historian Licence Problems for advice on contacting Calico Pie to retrieve them.

For full step by step details of how to transfer everything from old PC to new PC see the how_to:family_historian_migration_guide|> Family Historian V5 & V6 Migration Guide.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
wigansaint
Diamond

Post by wigansaint »

Thanks for that.
wigansaint
Diamond

Post by wigansaint »

Further to this post I now have v.5 installed and have updated to latest version.

My original laptop gave up the ghost but I have managed to rescue the files from the hard drive and imported them onto my new laptop and into Family Historian. I used the project window, imported gedcom file and chose option to copy linked multimedia files.

However when I open a diagram the flags for births and marriages do not appear. How can I get these on the diagram?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I guess you mean icons not flags on Diagrams.
Did you follow the advice in how_to:family_historian_migration_guide|> Family Historian V5 & V6 Migration Guide to use the Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings Plugin before your laptop died?
Otherwise, if that was not possible then copy the C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian folder from the old hard drive to the new PC.
That assumes you put your births and marriages icons on the C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Icons folder.
If you put them somewhere else, then have you copied them onto the new PC?
Once you have found them then I advise you put them in that Icons folder.
You will then have to go through each Diagram in the Options > Boxes tab and use Edit Features to add the Icons again.

Having got Diagrams back yje way you want please use the above Plugin to preserve those settings.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry