* Named List

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
laz_gen
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Named List

Post by laz_gen »

From within a plugin is it possible to add result rows to a named list?

In effect mimicking the "Add Row Records to Named List" option of the Query menu of the result set tab.

I can see the API listing has a fhCallBuiltInFunction call but can't see an appropriate function to store in a named list, just the functions "IsInList" and "HasNoteInList" to query a list.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Named List

Post by tatewise »

No that is not possible via the FH API.
The Plugin could create a Result Set and just like a Query Result Set you can add the rows to Named List manually.

The only other possibility is for the Plugin to modify the GEDCOM file where the Named List records are saved.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Sorry it's not possible currently, but you can set flags.

Beware though that setting a flag updates the last updated date.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
laz_gen
Famous

Post by laz_gen »

That is a shame, I was thinking I could perhaps enhance my mini To Do system with a plugin.

I currently use a custom To Do fact and add that to an individual as needed with a category and a small note. At the end of an FH session where I know I have added some To Do facts I run a custom query to gather them all up and manually add the rows into a named list. I thought it may be good to automate that process somewhat with a plugin.

I currently have that query named with a # as the first character to ensure it always appears as the first query in the list where I can always find it and I would have done the same to a plugin name, using the plugin "Add to Tools Menu" tick box.

Maybe in the future, if Calico Pie were to provide such a feature, I could run a plugin like this from a configurable button on the toolbar.

I have been following all of the To Do / Research Planner discussions lately but they all seemed rather too much for my simple needs but I had thought perhaps a plugin could enhance my To Do processes a little. I take it adding rows to named lists (from a plugin) has already been suggested to the Calico Pie.

Incidentally, has a suggestion for configurable toolbar buttons ever been mentioned before. Are they on any wish list?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Actually, I don't think there is a request for a Plugin API to the Named Lists nor one for custom toolbar buttons.
There are keyboard shortcuts that will invoke Custom Queries or Plugins in the Tools list.
e.g.
Alt + V + C + X + Enter will run frist Custom Query whose name starts with X

Alt + T + X + Enter will run first Tools Plugin whose name starts with X (except that a few letters invoke Tools commands such as H for How Related).
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

I have a plugin which prompts so I can find any tags in my research notes, which include #RN for research notes or #TODO for stuff I need to look at again.

It's mentioned in Helen's new article in the knowledge base.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

The new article referred to is at alternative_approach:work_in_progress_or_research_to_do_lists|> Planning and Tracking Your Research (it will be made more accessible when it's complete).
laz_gen
Famous

Post by laz_gen »

I am happy to make a request to Calico Pie for

1. Plugin API access to write/modify Named Lists
2. Custom toolbar buttons

The only contact form I can see at the FH website seems to be for reporting a problem.

Is this also the means of making requests for future enhancements?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, it is formally their Support Ticket system, and the 'problem' is that a feature is missing.
laz_gen
Famous

Post by laz_gen »

Two new tickets created at Calico Pie support requesting:

1. Plugin API access to write/modify Named Lists
2. Custom toolbar buttons
laz_gen
Famous

Post by laz_gen »

Helen

An interesting KB article.
I will be reading to see how I can enhance my simple To Do process.

Thanks