* I have duplicates that I'm having trouble merging

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Daulton
Gold
Family Historian: V6

I have duplicates that I'm having trouble merging

Post by Daulton »

I'm sure this is a common and simple thing to fix but I have failed to do that. I imported two gedcom files..and I guess you're not supposed to do that without filtering it some way.
Right now there are two me's and I have two mothers and fathers... you get the picture.
There are merge tabs in the file tab and the edit tab and Instructions in the help section I do not understand. So far nothing works. It says merge two people but there are not two sets of people to select. They all have the same information and reference numbers. The duplicates show up in the charts.
I love the program but I've been fixated on Ancestry but want to move all that information over so it is useful to my family later. I really do appreciate your time and suggestions.
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Re: I have duplicates that I'm having trouble merging

Post by Jane »

I suspect when you did the Merge you did not check and Merge the Family Records as your people have the same Reference number.

See
how_to:correcting_duplicate_spouses_families|> Correcting Duplicate Spouses/Families
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I have moved this to the FH General Usage Forum because it is nothing to do with Research.

It is not clear where you imported the GEDCOM from and exactly what commands you used.

It sounds like you may have exported from Ancestry, but I am guessing.
But in that case checkout the how_to:import_from_ancestry|> Import from Ancestry website advice, which suggests that if you use FTM then how_to:import_from_family_tree_maker|> Import from Family Tree Maker (FTM) should be better.

Yes, it is a good idea to tidy each imported Project into FH compatible form before doing anything else.

Then if two Projects share data to be merged use the File > Merge/Compare File command and study the advice in glossary:merge_compare_files|> Merge/Compare File.
As Jane says, a common mistake is to only merge Individuals and overlook all the other tabs for Families, Sources, Media, etc.
If it is a sizeable Project then it may be easier to start again from scratch than try and fix what you have.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Daulton
Gold

Post by Daulton »

Sorry for posting in the wrong spot. I thought I was in General.
I don't use FTM anymore because I read the negative comments. It is possible that I downloaded one gedcom from FTM but the latter from Ancestry.
I did download two gedcom files ...at different times separated by some months. I am really new at Family Historian and will follow your directions..if I have to, but I hope I don't, since the file was, to me, very large, over 1300 names.
I am only showing myself, my wife, my father and mother duplicated on the Ancestor tab. If I can figure out how to delete those then it would be easier, maybe. But, that really doesn't make sense because I should show the whole family tree duplicated.
But maybe it would be easier to delete the whole thing and start with a fresh new Ancestry gedcom that includes all my new material, and the billion duplicates, that are a real pain.
Anyway.. I really appreciate you comments and time. I will try deleting one of me as a test. Would that delete both if they have the same reference number?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

As Jane tried to explain it is probably NOT the Individual records that are duplicated.
If those 'duplicates' both have same [Record Id] then they are NOT duplicated.
They are linked to two Family records as if they have been married twice.

You have not described how you incorporated the new Ancestry GEDCOM into your existing FTM Project (I assume it is a Project and not a stand-alone GEDCOM?)

Did you use the File > Merge/Compare File command?
If so then you probably only merged Individual records and omitted all the rest.

In the Records Window on the Families tab, sort the records alphabetically by clicking on 1st column heading.
Now look for an entry for you & your wife, or your father & mother.
Are they listed in pairs with two of each family?
If so then those are the records that need to be merged using Edit > Merge/Compare Records.
But you will have to repeat that for every such pair of Family records.
Daulton
Gold

Post by Daulton »

Ok.. that helps better.. I am not used to the terminology. This is what happened. I purchase the program about a year ago after losing my Family Search program, which I then found a back up copy of, and quickly made a gedcom file because it was becoming corrupted. At that time Family Search was no longer run by Ancestry and I looked for a program to replace it with. I think my first download to Family Historian was from that file and I remember it had some errors. I think the duplicates were in that. I then became really involved with Ancestry and making gedcom back up files along the way. I'm dissatisfied that I can't share anything on Ancestry so now I want to populate Family Historian with what I have discovered. So some six months ago I loaded another newer gedcom file to Family Historian.
I think those duplicate errors are from that first upload of the Family Search program.

Unread postby tatewise » 25 Apr 2019 03:52
As Jane tried to explain it is probably NOT the Individual records that are duplicated.
If those 'duplicates' both have same [Record Id] then they are NOT duplicated.
They are linked to two Family records as if they have been married twice.

You have not described how you incorporated the new Ancestry GEDCOM into your exist-ing FTM Project (I assume it is a Project and not a stand-alone GEDCOM?)
This is the new terminology... but what I wrote above sounds like what you are describing and I wouldn't know the difference between a Project and stand-alone GEDCOM or the implications of... But I guess I will learn! I never used the Merge feature when I added the new Gedcom.. but it was back in time and I don't have a clear memory either of what I did. I think I just uploaded the GEDCOM FILE.
I think I did look at the alphabetized record and did not see that my immediate family was duplicated, and that was the nexus of my problem...because there were not two of each to merge...(?)
Again.. I really do appreciate your's and Jane's responses. I am at least learning something. I'll go back and see if there's something I can discover.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I'm not sure where to start.
To get into FH study how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers.
That gives Documentation & Tutorials and explains Projects and much more...

Maybe you have just opened the GEDCOM file instead of using File > Project Window > New Project.

how_to:import_from_ancestry|> Import from Ancestry website explains how to migrate your data to FH.
That is part of how_to:index#importing_to_family_historian|> Importing to Family Historian.

When you have a better understanding, you should be able to find the Family records and determine if they are duplicated.

BTW: According to Change FTMB file to GEDcom file (16122) you did have FTM 2014 last year.
Daulton
Gold

Post by Daulton »

I think you've helped a lot. I'll follow your instructions...and read the directions. I'll spend some time working with the program as I do wish to learn it.
Appreciate your time and help.