* Problems with narrative reports

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Jonvdw
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

Problems with narrative reports

Post by Jonvdw »

Hello,

I am encountering problems with narrative reports :
- Sometimes the Hebrew name of the person is written backwards (written from left to right) but not always though. It is bizarre since, in one paragraph, the name can be written backwards and, in another one, it is written in the right way. I think it has something to do with paragraphs and format? I don't have this problem in charts or while working on the person's profile.
- Sometimes there is too much space between a comma and the rest of the sentence, or between a full stop and the following sentence.

Could anyone tell me how I could fix these problems? Thank you very much!
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Problems with narrative reports

Post by tatewise »

For general advice see how_to:narrative_report_fact_sentence_templates|> Narrative Report Fact Sentence Templates.

In the few experiments I have tried with Hebrew names the characters always appear in the same order.
Is the left/right order associated with particular sentence constructs?
Can you post a screenshot showing examples of the problem. See info:forums#posting_topics|> Posting Topics.

Have you reviewed the Sentence Templates that lead to the excessive spacing?
Is it possible that conditional components in < angle brackets > do not include appropriate space characters?
Then when the conditional components are missing the unconditional spaces will still be present.
e.g.
... lived <at {address}> {place} will have two spaces between lived and the place when no address.

... lived< at {address}> {place} will fix that problem by putting first space inside < >

If unsure then please copy & paste into your reply the Sentence Templates that lead to excessive spaces.
Also post a screenshot showing examples of the problem.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Jonvdw
Gold

Post by Jonvdw »

Thank you very much for your reply and help!
I will look at the links and advice you gave me to solve the problem with the excessive spacing.

I have attached a screen capture of the typical problem I encounter with Hebrew in narrative reports (the red lines point to the names written backwards).
Attachments
Example.JPG
Example.JPG (156.45 KiB) Viewed 4782 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I have experimented some more and get similar inconsistent backward Hebrew names in Narrative Reports.
The same people in different sentences are sometimes forwards and sometimes backwards.

Also most types of report have backward Hebrew names in photo captions.

My Family Group Sheets have backward Hebrew names in record Note titles.
My Outline Reports have backward Hebrew names in some sentences but in different ways to Narrative Reports.

I suggest you report all those problems to Calico Pie as advised in how_to:about#problem_reporting|> Problem Reporting.
Attach a similar screenshot as here.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Jonvdw
Gold

Post by Jonvdw »

Thank you very much! I will contact Calico Pie, I hope FH will find a solution.
Jonvdw
Gold

Post by Jonvdw »

I contacted them and they will investigate the problem in order to get a fix in the next release of the software.
Calico Pie found out that, by zooming in/out the narrative report, the Hebrew characters would be written in the right way. It worked but, despite that, when I saved the report as a PDF file, all the Hebrew names in the PDF were written backwards...
Could you tell me if you found any temporary solution to solve this problem? I can't imagine not being able to make narrative reports from my research :(
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Prior to V6 you could not use extended characters, so what people used to do was add a media image with the name in non ascii script, would that work for you in the meantime?
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
Jonvdw
Gold

Post by Jonvdw »

Thank you for your suggestion!
I will use that solution if I can't figure out something else. It is a real headache though, as I have about 300 names that will need to be modified. I feel frustrated because I found this morning a post from 2017 with the same problem, it was reported to FH and nothing has been done since then apparently.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

I dont know if you found this thread? hebrew (14853)

Calico Pie replied that they did not handle alphabets that ran from right to left.
I seem to remember that I experimented with Rootsmagic and it was no better.