* Queries re loading v5 to new laptop prior to upgrade to v6

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
mfro
Gold
Family Historian: V5

Queries re loading v5 to new laptop prior to upgrade to v6

Post by mfro »

My hitherto relatively reliable laptop has become slow and cranky, and I am transferring data to a new one and ensuring all FH files are on One Drive.

Currently I have v5.0.11 (via upgrades via disk from v4.1.3 from v4 from v3.1.2 from the original v3 disk).

I know there are recent threads on running Family Historian on two computers, and I have been reading them. I already have FH on two laptops, the dodgy one, and an even older one which has been out of use for a long time and by rights should have disposed of by now. It has not been used as a backup for some years now. I still have my ZX Spectrum so it's obvious I haven't acquired deleting, disposing, data shredding or recycling skills yet.

Is my best option to first upgrade from 5.0.11 to 6 on the laptop which could soon expire/crash and only after that is done, to try to install it on the new one?

Or should I first get FH v5 on to the new laptop, using the disks I have. Also, is upgrading to v6 any easier to upgrade via disk, or via a download?

Grateful for any advice!
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Queries re loading v5 to new laptop prior to upgrade to v6

Post by tatewise »

The first thing to understand is you do NOT have to install from your earlier disks.
Whether you install V5 or V6 you just need the last upgrade installation media and the last two licence keys.
See how_to:family_historian_installation_details|> Family Historian Installation Details.

If you think your laptop will cope, then it would be easiest to upgrade to FH V6.
Then you will have the Upgrade V5 to V6 installation media, and the V6 licence key, so all you will need to find is your V5 licence key. The easiest and cheapest way to obtain FH Upgrade V5 to V6 is directly from Calico Pie as a download.

See how_to:family_historian_migration_guide|> Family Historian V5 & V6 Migration Guide for details, but I guess you have used that before, and are also aware of synchronising two PC via OneDrive..

Strictly speaking, the FH licence terms only allow it to be installed on two PC and not three.
So it should be uninstalled from one of your PC as soon as possible after this latest migration.

If anything is not clear then please do ask for further advice.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
mfro
Gold
Family Historian: V5

Re: Queries re loading v5 to new laptop prior to upgrade to v6

Post by mfro »

Thank you, Mike. FHUG is certainly the best user group for everything that I've been a member of, and I particularly value the prompt, patient and clear responses from the Stalwarts, like you! Now all I'm waiting for is a quiet house later today so that I have a chance to think this through.