* Genetic Relationship

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Genetic Relationship

Post by Jane »

I have been experimenting with a simple plugin to compute genetic relatedness.

It does not yet have a progress bar, so it will take a while if you run in on a BIG file.

It is based on the computations suggested here
https://apps.nolanlawson.com/relatednes ... ator/index
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
David2416
Superstar

Re: Genetic Relationship

Post by David2416 »

Nice, how about a column showing the average centimorgans based on a total 6800? Problem is there is a range of centimorgans actually shared.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Can you point me to a page for the computation, is it simply 6800 * times the percentage, plus minus an amount?
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

I was hoping for some sort of computable figure, in theory it would be possible to work from the descriptions, but it would be better if the ranges could be computed, as at the moment the plugin takes account of multiple relationships, so for example my husbands "double" cousins come up to 25%.
Jane
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

I think the whole point is that the ranges can't be computed exactly -- or rather they can but the probability varies through the range.
David2416
Superstar

Post by David2416 »

The 100% is 6800, then I would expect 50% from each parent, actually Ancestry shows 3421 match for my mother. Have a look at Whoyouaremadeof. Com It's always a range, and you can have more distant direct ancestors who you inherit none from!
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

If you want me to add it as a column I need some sort of table to go from the percentage to the ranges. So far I have seen a variety of ranges from different sources for different providers and different tests.

I suspect there is probably an inverse relationship to the percentage size that increases the size of the range but I have not found any examples yet.
Jane
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Based on the percentages here:
https://thednageek.com/the-limits-of-pr ... using-dna/

This version shows the ranges for the groups over .4 percent. The table controlling the range values is right at the top of the source code if you want to try tweaking it.
Jane
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

Jane

Thanks for this. I tried the first version and it ran fine.

Unfortunately this latest version seems to have a coding bug.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (20.31 KiB) Viewed 8873 times
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

Thanks Jane that runs fine.

A very useful plugin for those who have done DNA tests.
David2416
Superstar

Post by David2416 »

Really like that latest version, like the ranges. Very useful. Thank you

(A trivial error on the first row showing myself - the min/max don't make sense.)
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

Jane

I have found one little gotcha that you may want to consider. One of my close relatives was in fact adopted and has no blood relationship with me. He is recorded as adopted in FH but still shows on the report.

It may be too much work to cope with this more for your information rather than anything else.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Trivial comments:
The cmTable needs an entry for root 100% otherwise the Expected CM of 6800 > Max CM of 3672.
The columns for Expected CM, Min CM & Max CM could be wider to show column headings in full.
width=50 works well for all four numerical columns including Relatedness.

I think Colin's comment is valid, and should also cater for Foster children.
Similar complaints are levelled at FH Reports, etc, for not taking such relationships into account, and suggesting blood relationships that don't exist, e.g. Timeline Facts saying Son/Daughter was born... when actually adopted/fostered children.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

At the moment there is no easy way to access this information, without using Lua to build the relationships, which would be really slow, as you need to check all the linking ancestors of each person looking for Adoption etc.

I'll log a request to be able to only include blood relations in the Relationship function with Calico.

For now I suspect this will at least help with checking the percentages and ranges against actuals.

Relatedness Report.fh_lua
(11.83 KiB) Downloaded 178 times
Jane
David2416
Superstar

Post by David2416 »

Hi,

just ran the Check Installed Plugins against the Store plugin, and notices the Relatedness report I have is newer that the store version. Not a problem, just mentioning it.

I find the report is very useful in reminding me how much DNA might be shared with any ancestor.
Check Installed Plugins against the Store 20190317.jpg
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

David2416 wrote:Hi,

just ran the Check Installed Plugins against the Store plugin, and notices the Relatedness report I have is newer that the store version. Not a problem, just mentioning it.
Sorted
Jane