* Recording DNA matches in Family Historian

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
E Wilcock
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Recording DNA matches in Family Historian

Post by E Wilcock »

I'm lost again. I have a fact and a query but What is the Diagram?

I think I also have a slight problem with the query, Jane, in that this is an individual query. Meaning that each DNA match can appear only once.
I am fine with this at the moment as I keep multiple projects. But I already know one DNA match who is descended from couples on two of my trees.
The cousin marriages in both my Jewish and non-Jewish trees means that one finds people descended from two of one's ancestral pairs.

I also think I am doing something wrong in entering the couple ID number. Thank you Mike, I can now find them. As it doesnt seem to work. It works if I put in the two individual IDs.
And is the individual column to enter a single known common Ancestor or does one use it to show which child of the common ancestral couple the Gedmatch person is descended from?
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

"The diagram" is any diagram you want to show the Family ID number on. I found it handy to show the Family record it on a diagram so I could find it quickly to add to the GedMatch Fact. You can happily ignore this if you don't want to use it.

I have re-written the Query as a Fact Query so if you have two links to the same person you will see both.

I am not clear when you say the Family Link does not work, you should simply be able to enter the family number and it will then appear the the column on the report.

The "Shared Ancestor" should probably have been called "Connecting Ancestor", the idea came from the DNA Painter site which states

https://dnapainter.com/help/how-to-use

Your common ancestors are your Great-Grandparents. You could label these segments with their names.

Or, since you don't currently have a way of knowing which of these Great-Grandparents was the source of these segments, you might prefer to label them with the name of the furthest-back individual; in this case, your paternal grandfather.
My data for one link looks like
[[
Tested with: Ancestry
Test Site Name: xxxxx36
GedMatch Details
Kit Id: T78123
GedMatch Name:xxxxsat

Links
Shared Ancestor:
Shared Couple: 773
Primary Link: 1
]]
Attachments
GedMatch - All Facts.fhq
(1.67 KiB) Downloaded 244 times
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Jane, thank you for rewriting the query. And to Mike for coaching me in queries in the first place. Made all the difference.
capnkeith
Famous
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by capnkeith »

Jane,
When you select Family ID to only appear in spouse boxes, how did you do it? I have done it via Diagram options > Text > and edit the text scheme item for Family ID > Box types and conditions. But cannot get it to display correctly on every occasion, most are ok but sometimes both of the couple have the Family ID in their box and sometimes it is in neither of the couples boxes.

Or did you do it a different way?
Keith
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

You need to select, spouse box and female ancestors as well
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The easiest method is to Clone an existing Family item such as Marriage.
That way it will have the same settings as all your Family items (whether only Spouse boxes or anything else).
Then Edit the item to change its name and template, and move up or down.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

BTW: how_to:charting_companion|> Charting Companion requires a Custom Attribute specifically named DNA Kit with its value set to the Number for each person. Should that influence the Custom Attribute associated with this discussion?
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Personally I would rather keep the ID in the GedMatch fact, if people want to use the Charting companion options, a simple plugin in to populate the "DNA Kit" field from the GedMatch Kit ID would be easy to write.
Jane
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Jane - This was supposed to be a thank you post. It all worked brilliantly.
But it has turned into a question about Reporting the data.
Yesterday I discovered the ancestry service Thrulines which suggests how DNA matches might be linked to one's tree. It is sourceless with no surety and sometimes gaps in the suggested lineage. But thanks to your fact and query, I was able to enter the matches and link them.

But this morning I had to type the list of about ten matches and their links into an email.
Is it possible to output the matches from the query into a report? Would you put the Query results into a named list and make a list report?
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Would not just copying the contents of the query work?

Remember you can copy and paste the cells from the query into Excel or save them as a CSV file.

If you select the first column you can create a Named list from it.

It's not possible in a plugin to create a Named List.

You can also save the Result set as a PDF report
Jane
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Thanks Jane - I know one cant make a named list directly from a query - only by selecting the names in the result and editing.
But I didnt know much of the rest.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

You can make a Named List by highlighting the cells on a fact query or directly using save named records as Named list where the query is not a fact query, when the Add Row Records to a Named List will be active.
2019-03-12_115834.jpg
2019-03-12_115834.jpg (109.76 KiB) Viewed 13607 times
Jane
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Thank you Jane - for a kind explanation. I did not phrase my post well.
I am already a great user of named lists in fh, many of them selected via a query.
I hope others who have switched to fh will be encouraged to do the same.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Jane I have been making great use of your attribute and the associated query. Thank you so much.
However, I wonder whether I am missing some skill in the use of fh? As I am having to use paper and pencil!
I am sure you must manage things better.
I add the DNA match John Doe to the bottom of his line, i.e. working down starting from the individual on my tree from which he has descent. Next I need to give him the DNA attribute but by this time the reference numbers I need for the shared couple and his particular link to that couple are way out of sight at the top of his line.
So I navigate back, and use a pencil and paper to write down the numbers I need before searching for John Doe and going back to him and entering the data.
Your scheme for handling DNA matches is so good, that I am happy to go on like this, but only if it is the best way.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

I have added the Family Number and the record ID's to my default diagram text scheme this means I can display a how related diagram from "me" to the link DNA person (hiding siblings and spouses) and then fill in the form as I can see all the numbers on the diageam
Jane
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Thank you for explaining, Jane This shows how badly we in London need a session of your instruction Jane.
You work from a diagram, whereas I dont have a default diagram text scheme. And I dont think I can manage to grapple with it just at the moment. As am not feeling too intelligent and am trying to sort out other web and computer issues related to DNA results.

Your system and the reports work very well for me.
trevorrix
Famous

Post by trevorrix »

I am taking a completely different approach to identify in Family Historian (1) which people have taken a DNA test (2) marking the paths of proven DNA matches back to the common ancestors.

(1) I have a flag "DNA" which in diagrams switches on a DNA helix logo beneath the boxes of people that have taken a DNA test.

(2) As I prove each DNA match (researching and sourcing with images both upwards and downwards) I mark the path back to the common ancestral couple using a flag "DNA proven relative" which in diagrams switches on an orange border for each person in that path.

This is a quick and easy method of keeping some sort of track of how far I have got, showing in diagrams the ancestral couples who have been proved to be so both by conventional research and by DNA matching. And marking the people in the paths from the ancestral couples back down to the people that have tested. As I work though my DNA matches (my raw autosomal data is in all six of the major databases) I may amend this method if needs be. The goal is to eventually give everyone in my extended tree an orange border. Somewhat similar to trying to achieve 100% coverage in DNA Painter. I am well aware of the need to prove all of this through triangulation.
Trevor Rix
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Jane - Apologies for the other day. I have added record numbers to my diagram and it works beautifully. Thank you.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Jane
Sorry to bother you about this.
I have been using your system - or at least your Gedmatch Fact plus query.
I renamed the query so the name is preceded by an asterisk so if I want to show my husband his DNA matches and how they fit, I just hit the query button and the arrow.

But I dont know where on your template you are entering the measurement of the link? e.g. 96 cM across 4 segments.

I want to go back and enter this info which so far I have just thrown in at the bottom. But if it had a field one could display it on the query result list which would be nice.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

All you need to do for this is to add an extra label to your template in front of the data

Personally I would call it Overlap

So

Overlap: 96 cM across 4 segments
You can then add a column to your Query with the following
=GetLabelledText(%FACT.NOTE2%,"Overlap:")

to include it on your Query.
Jane
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

O you are brilliant Jane - Thank you.
I realise I have taken a lot of your time over this, just as when Mike taught me queries. It is because I am learning new things. Labelled text is new to me and at some point I shall go through the preceding posts and learn how to use it.
And setting up templates in facts also new.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

See how_to:narrative_report_fact_sentence_templates#custom_fact_fields|> Custom Fact Fields that illustrates the use of labelled Note text and the Auto-Create Note feature to create the template of labels.

It is presented in the context of Narrative Report Sentence Templates but is widely applicable such as in Queries.

So in the Note field you would have:
[[
Overlap: 96 cM across 4 segments
Tested with: Ancestry
Test Site Name: xxxxx36

..., other labelled text, etc

]]
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Thank you. I had a bit of trouble editing the fact template as you can't put in a carriage return? I had to download the original again.
I also couldnt make the new column expression work, (it said it was illegal for the type of query) so I adapted an existing one, Jane
=GetLabelledText(%INDI.EVEN-GEDMATCH.NOTE2%,"Overlap:")
And I tested it with a fictitious entry and it works.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Did you read the bit in the [kb]|[/kb] advice about using Ctrl+Enter to insert a new line break?

Yes, Jane's example is for a Fact Query and yours is correct for an Individual Query.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Mike - Obviously I havent or had forgot - my memory was never good. But your kind link is an example of how help in fh defeats once - so much to search through. I will try and remember to use Ctrl.
Anyway it all looks good and I am going to edit and enter some matches to I can see who is who.

And by the way, yes ancestry security and privacy on DNA is non existent. One can get data from private trees. I agreed to everything and there is no way to retract.