* Rearrange Address and Place Parts Plugin - usage

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
gsward
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Rearrange Address and Place Parts Plugin - usage

Post by gsward »

When I use the Rearrange Address and Place Parts Plugin for a selected Address/Place combination I get a spurious entry added of the format {A0}, {A1} to the new places. That is for all the places that share the same place record not just the one selected in the Input Filter. I am trying to move a specific address part (Address 1 to Place 1).

What am I doing wrong?

Also, is it possible to provide a sort to the two columns in the Input Filter to aid selection?

Thanks,

Graham
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Re: Rearrange Address and Place Parts Plugin - usage

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

See plugins:help:rearrange_address_and_place_parts:result_set|> Rearrange Address and Place Parts ~ Result Set -- your so-called spurious fields are introduced were otherwise it would have been necessary to create duplicate place records (which is impossible)
gsward
Famous

Post by gsward »

Thanks Helen.

I tried to access the help pages in the plugin but the link to this page does not work from "Help and Advice". In fact, the only page that can be accessed is "Input Filter".

Graham
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The Help & Advice will initially open a page related to the current Plugin tab.
They are simply pages in the [kb]|[/kb] so clicking any orange link will switch to another page.
Also, did you not see the green buttons across the bottom such as Result Set that switch pages?

You can also visit plugins:help:index|>Family Historian Plugins > Plugin Help and Advice and review any of the Help pages without even running a Plugin.

How would you like the Input Filter sorting to be arranged?
It is already sorted by Place names on the right.
If it were sorted by Address names on the left, then Place names would be very disorganised.

Before running the Plugin, you can select the Place records to include in the filter in FH from the Places tab of the Records Window, or a Named List, or a Query,. That may give you better sort and find options and is mentioned in the Help & Advice.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
gsward
Famous

Post by gsward »

Yes, I did see the green Result Set link but that was one that did not work for me.

Because it was Address records I wanted to move to Place I would have preferred an optional sort on Address, accepting as you say, that would not be so good for the Places.

Graham
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

:oops: Sorry, I apologise, some of the Help & Advice button links are broken in the Plugin Store version and awaiting an update by me, so please use the direct [kb]|[/kb] pages for the time being.

Do you realise that by selecting only some Address fields associated with a Place record, then you will produce multiple Place records, which is what the prefixes are all about?

I think somebody else also suggested an Address field sort, so will give that some thought.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Just to check we both envisage the same effect, here is a screenshot of the Input Filter sorted by Address.
I've attached prototype Rearrange Address and Place Parts Plugin Version 1.4.1 Date 01 Mar 2019 for you to try.
[ Attachment deleted as now superseded. )
InputFilterAddressSort.png
InputFilterAddressSort.png (53.53 KiB) Viewed 11896 times
gsward
Famous

Post by gsward »

Mike, I have tested this both for Address part shifting to Place and Place part copy to Address. It works as I would hope and the sort is fine for me too.

Thanks,

Graham
peterbel
Superstar

Post by peterbel »

Mike, a suggestion for this Plugin.
Would it be possible on the Filter screen to show the Address and Place data under their column headers? For Example, A0, A1, A2 etc, and P0, P1, P3 etc. I think this would make choosing the exact moving action easier to define.

And, if all the Filter records could be sorted on a selected header then grouping like changes could also make the process quicker.
Tracing the Devon Bellamy family along with their partners.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

That may be a significant amount of work, so I might publish the current fixes to the Plugin Store before embarking on that.

If sorting on a particular column header, what sort order should be applied to all the other columns?

I know you cannot use Tools > Work With Data or a Query while the Plugin is running, but could you use those features to get a handle on which data needs rearranging or even select the Place records before-hand.
peterbel
Superstar

Post by peterbel »

I thought it might be significant, if not impractical.
Just the layout change in to defined columns would be an aid, sorting a super enhancement.

If sorting is practical I think the other rightwise columns could just be in alphabetical order, that would probably show up similar address/places that might need the same attention.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

But what if the chosen sort column is near to or actually is the right-most column?
Then I guess the sort precedence would progress left-wise after exhausting the right-wise columns?
Unfortunately, with multi-user shared software, all the possibilities have to be considered, and not just those you want to use.
peterbel
Superstar

Post by peterbel »

Perhaps it should just do an alpha sort on the chosen column, the other columns would just reflect that sort, the associated data just moving accordingly.
And the focus (is that the correct term?) remains on the highlighted line, so the line of interest remains in view, the surrounding lines move.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry Peter, but some of this is getting beyond me.

I will have to look at that sort concept, because the sort feature in Plugins may not support that idea.
It might need the Plugin to remember the sort order of all the other columns, and use that.

Not sure about what you mean by the highlighted line. How would that be chosen?
Currently, any number of lines (including all of them) can be chosen and are thus highlighted.
Only those chosen lines are involved in the mapping rearrangement.

How do you envisage the sort column being chosen?
I was toying with either buttons per column across the top (or bottom) of the list, or perhaps a drop-list to choose the column.
gsward
Famous

Post by gsward »

Mike, the plugin was working, but I am now getting an error:
rearrange eror.jpg
rearrange eror.jpg (41.68 KiB) Viewed 12067 times
Other plugins seem to work.

Graham
peterbel
Superstar

Post by peterbel »

I can't believe there is anything in FH that is beyond you Mike, must be my poor explanations.

I imagined it a bit like spreadsheet sorting. Click on the header of a column and it alpha sorts the whole spreadsheet using that column as a basis. Still leaving the cursor (highlight) on the same cell. Some of the data tables in FH seem to work that way, although the ones I have selected only sort max number or lowest alpha at the top and not invert on a second click, like spreadsheets do.

All I meant by highlighted line was:
After opening Input Filter the user scans down the records looking for an example of a line that he wants to rearrange and highlights it alone. Then he could alpha sort the whole view on the basis of one of the columns of that record which would put any similar records adjacent to the one he found. If they also require the same rearranging he could then highlight those before moving to Mapping Options to select the rearrangement rules.

I too had that error when trying to run the prototype. Sorry!
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry Graham, that will be fixed in the Plugin Store update to V1.5 in a day or so.

Please revert to the current Plugin Store version 1.4 if you need to run the Plugin now.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The Rearrange Address and Place Parts Plugin Version 1.5 Date 07 Mar 2019 is now in the Plugin Store and the recent prototype attachments here will soon be deleted.

Peter, thank you for your more detailed explanation.

You clearly have not discovered that in FH to reverse sort a column you hold down the Alt key while clicking the column header. Do you require that functionality in the Input Filter?

I did suspect that your selection strategy might be as you now describe.
But other users may not follow that process. They may preselect Place record entries before running the Plugin or may make multiple selections before changing the sort order. The Plugin must cope with all possibilities.

At this stage I have not started investigating what might be possible, and I am unsure whether the current list focus can be retained after the sort has been performed.
I'm doubtful about a button at the head of every column being practical & feasible without making the window too wide.
I'm also thinking about whether every column should be a fixed width, or auto-size according to the contents.
It is certainly not a trivial change.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I've attached prototype Rearrange Address and Place Parts Plugin Version 1.5.1 Date 11 Mar 2019 for you to try.

I think it implements the sort and retain focus concepts discussed.

The Sort By Address/Place button still exists, but not sure whether that is worth keeping or not.
Last edited by tatewise on 01 Feb 2024 14:07, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Attachment deleted - contact Mike Tate if needed as sorting is different to Plugin Store version
peterbel
Superstar

Post by peterbel »

You are right Mike, I didn't know about the ALT key trick, thanks!

Fantastic job with the sorting options, works a treat. I know it it is still work in progress but I have some questions on the Mapping/Rearranging panel. I am scared of making a bigger mess of my data so I am proceeding slowly!

All Does it mean the selected lines on the Filter screen or every record in the data?
Shift Address/Places, right/left. Do these use the ‘between’ and ‘and’ numbers for the range of the columns that will be actioned? Is the shift just one column, so [a, b, c, d] becomes [, , a, b, c, d]?
What is [[privacy]]? Have I missed yet another FH feature!
Right/Left justify Address/Places to …… Does this remove spaces in front (Left) or behind (Right) the data in all the columns for the selection?

Example Rearrangement Question.
I have found the County part of some my address’s are in P2 and I want them in P3.
I sort column 2 and it puts all the P2 Counties together.
I highlight the lines I want to change then on the Mapping screen set Input Place 2 to Output Place 3.
Then I press “Perform Rearrangement of Parts”, the selected P2s are copied to P3, not moved, as P2 still contains the original data.
How would I move rather than copy so those P2s are left blank ?

Sorry to be a pain with all the questions but I want to make correct use of all your hard work Mike!
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Firstly, have you studied the Help and Advice pages, and explored all the green buttons and the orange links?

Select All means every entry in the Filter List and thus every Address field and every Place record.

Yes, the shift is one column, but just for the nominated column parts.
You will see the mapping appear in the left hand Column Parts.

[[privacy]] options are all over FH in Reports and elsewhere, usually for private Notes.
It crops up regularly posting in relation to Address and Place data for such as Churches.
Conventionally, the Place of a church is entered in Place, and its name such as St Andrews in the Address field.
But then you may have many St Andrews in different Places but FH considers them all the same Address.
So a global Edit to add say a street to just one such St Andrews is almost impossible.
The solution is to duplicate some Place details to the Address to make each church different.
But then those details will appear twice in Reports, etc, unless they are enclosed in [[brackets]].

Right/Left Justify moves columns right/left to fill empty columns to right/left.
Each selected Address/Place might move a different number of columns, or not at all.
It is not he same as the auto-tidying that ensures every comma is followed by a space character.

To move a column part the source needs to be set to <blank> as well as setting the target to source.

Remember that Edit > Undo Plugin Updates will reverse the changes if unsatisfactory.
The Plugin will remember your settings, except for the Filter List selections.
peterbel
Superstar

Post by peterbel »

Thanks Mike I will study your reply and explore the options.
The Help and Advice button was not working when I first tried the Plugin, it does now so I have read it. Sorry for the un-necessary questions.

So is my example column move a two stage mapping?
Map col 2 to col 3 and action, then Map col 2 to blank and action that.
I can see I could map both at the same time but if it 'blanked' first ..... !!!!
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The move can be performed in one operation.
The Plugin first reads all column parts into a temporary cache, and then assigns the specified values to the column parts.
Thus the order of the changes is irrelevant.
i.e. It has been designed to avoid the snag you perceived.
gsward
Famous

Post by gsward »

Mike, I have done a quick test on this and it seems to work as expected.

I had previously written a custom query to list the Address and Place parts in a similar fashion so that I could select them for the Plugin.

Thanks,

Graham
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The Place records can be selected in FH before running the Plugin to preselect Place lines but that is not feasible to preselect particular Address values.