* Ancestor calendar

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
pfederici
Family Historian: V6

Ancestor calendar

Post by pfederici »

Does anyone know of a program where you can export the data from Family Historian and create a calendar showing important dates for your ancestors? For example, March 1 may show 3 different birthdays, 2 death dates, etc.
Thanks
Paul
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Re: Ancestor calendar

Post by Jane »

You can get a list of all events for a day using a Query for example
fhugdownloads:contents:all_facts_on_day_month|> Query:Fact ~ All Facts on Day Month
Lists all the facts for a specific Day and Month.

You could customise this to only include the events you think are important.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
jbtapscott
Megastar

Post by jbtapscott »

If you want a Calendar rather than a straight list, the website builder GedSite gives you that option. See my site at https://genealogy.tapscott.co.uk/up/Births.htm for an example - I have separate pages for each of Births, Marriages and Deaths, but these can be combined if you wanted.
Brent Tapscott ~ researching the Tapscott and Wallace family history
Tapscott & Wallace family tree
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG Paul.

What exactly do you mean by a 'calendar'?

Do you want a 'pretty calendar' with a page for each Month, and every Date on those pages, but with a list of Ancestors who have important events on specific Dates.

Or do you just want a plain tabulated list in Month & Day order showing the Ancestors against their important dates.
For this style see the View > Standard Queries > Birthdays (all) that just lists Birth days, but could be easily modified to include other events such as Marriage and Death.

What 'important dates' do you wish to include?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
pfederici

Post by pfederici »

Thank you for the replies. I am just learning Family Historian although I have been doing genealogy for years. I have used TMG before FH.

Mike...I was thinking more along the lines of the "pretty" calendar, but I will check out the other option. I was thinking of something I could give to my family to help them remember everyone.

Brent....I will check that out. Thank you

Paul
pfederici

Post by pfederici »

Oh and I forgot. I would like to include birth and death dates. I think much more than that may get confusing.

Paul
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

It looks like https://blog.myheritage.com/2012/03/new ... one-click/ might do what you want but that was back in 2012 and I could not find it MyHeritage now.

Alternatively https://www.mytrees.com/PrintCharts.html might do it but I haven't signed in to an account to find out more because it does not appear to be free.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

It would be fairly easy to write a plugin to output an HTML page (or 12 pages) for this which could be printed.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

I have written a simple plugin which prompts to select the records you want to include and currently shows
Birth, Baptism,Marriage, Death and Burial on a generated HTML page.

Edit: Script updated to fix problem with Ancestor Marriages and to sort by year with in the date
Attachments
Fact Calendar.fh_lua
(6.18 KiB) Downloaded 187 times
Jane
David2416
Superstar

Post by David2416 »

That's neat, shows what a busy day 25 December was in my tree, nice visual representation of the family calendar
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, quite neat but it complained about being unable to handle accented Unicode characters.

It needs the usual:
if fhGetAppVersion() > 5 then fhSetStringEncoding("UTF-8") end

I tried to Print it using Firefox, but could not get a month per page.
So it does not quite satisfy the original brief of a 'pretty' calendar to print as a gift.
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

@Jane

Thanks a very nice plugin.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Interestingly if you print using IE, the layout is not too bad, but it looks like there is a limitation on the print option when using the Mozilla engine (which Edge also uses). The reason I used grids is that it does resize nicely when viewed on any device.

I suppose it would be possible to output direct to Word using OLE, but that presupposes the user has Word and as the original poster has not come back I am not intending to spend any more time on it at the moment.
Jane