* Delete unnamed person

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Klaus Yde
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Delete unnamed person

Post by Klaus Yde »

How do I delete this marked unnamede person from my tree. Delete dont work and I cant unattach the unnamed person .

Kind regards

Klaus Yde
Attachments
Udklip.JPG
Udklip.JPG (93.46 KiB) Viewed 7459 times
Jane
Site Admin

Re: Delete unnamed person

Post by Jane »

Un-named person, simply means you have no record for the spouse in the relationship. If you want to remove the box from the diagram, right click on the box and select Hide.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
Klaus Yde
Famous

Post by Klaus Yde »

Yes, but this is only a very temporary solution. Next time i open this part of the tree. The problem is back. I want to permanently to remove the unnamed person from the database.

Kind Regards

Klaus Yde
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Klaus, as Jane said, there is no person in the database.
It is just a box in the Diagram to show that NIELSON had a relationship resulting in children, but the mother is unknown.

To hide the box more permanently, use Diagram > Save Diagram to create a Chart that can be opened via View > Saved Charts and will remember the box is hidden.

This all assumes that this unknown mother and children are meant to exist there in your database.
If the children need to be moved to a different partner, then the blank box and the children will no longer appear there.
The children will appear in another relationship, and the blank box will vanish for ever.
Is this what needs to be corrected?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Klaus Yde
Famous

Post by Klaus Yde »

Hi Mike

Removing the two persons associated with the unnamed person did the trick. Thanks. It was from a friends gedcom file.

I did wonder. Why dont FH remove such associations when it checks a new gedcom file? Or tell me about it.

It has some times also happened for me in my own tree. Most time i just got an old backup and restored a prime tree. FH should make a warning when it is happening?

Kind regards

Klaus Yde
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I cannot see the whole family in your Diagram screenshot, but it looks like there are coloured ribbons linking those two children to duplicates on the left. So I guess they are already shown as children of NIELSON and his wife on the left.

You do not say how you added your friend's GEDCOM file to your Project, but I guess you used File > Merge/Compare File.
On the Individuals tab, the Individual records for NIELSON and the children were matched and merged correctly.

But I suspect you did not review the Families tab, and merge the Family records that linked NIELSON and the children.
That is why you got two Families with the children in both Families.
FH does not warn about that, because it is perfectly valid for children to belong to multiple parents, when for example they are adopted or fostered.

After reviewing the Families tab, it is important to review the Notes, Sources, and all other tabs to avoid duplicates of them.

In a way FH is warning about such unusual relationships with the Diagram coloured ribbons linking duplicates.
The boxes linked by ribbons indicate that one Individual record exists in more than one Family branch.
It can happen by mistake, as in your case, or it can happen on purpose with adoption & fostering, or when cousins or other distant relatives marry each other.
Klaus Yde
Famous

Post by Klaus Yde »

Hi Mike

The problem was from a Legacy made gedcom file that I only opened to make a reduced gedcom file for The Genealogy Reporter. There was no merge involved and the owner was not aware of the problem before i found it.

Kind regards

Klaus Yde
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

OK, the history behind the GEDCOM and the Diagram was uncertain, and I guessed wrong.

However, the Family data structure is logically valid, although in this case it was a mistake.
FH usually cannot warn against data entry mistakes that are valid GEDCOM.
e.g. If you enter the wrong Place for a fact, and it has a valid format, then FH cannot warn about that mistake.

My last paragraph below still applies, and is the best 'warning' available for this type of family relationship mistake.
Klaus Yde
Famous

Post by Klaus Yde »

Ok. Thanks
victor
Superstar

Post by victor »

I note the name in the box linked to the yellow box is Poulsen. You can put the name //(Poulsen) as the wife That will appear in the yellow box until you find the name. I do this all the time

Victor
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Victor, sorry, but you have misread the diagram and the point of this thread.

Foremost, the 'yellow box' and children are a mistaken Family Record entry, so just needed deletions.
The 'yellow box' has no Individual record and the child boxes are just duplicates indicated by coloured ribbons.

Anyway, the 'yellow box' is a 3rd [unnamed person] 'wife' just like Susanne POULSON is the 2nd wife.
Lars NIELSEN is the husband and has a 1st wife Dorte off to the left.
Check the colour of the text: Boys are blue; Girls are red; which is confirmed by their forenames,
LesBramham
Silver
Family Historian: V5

Post by LesBramham »

I have a similar problem in that I have an extra wife/spouse added by mistake that I cannot completely delete. It was caused by confusion matching children to the correct wife. There is now 3 wives all with children which is now correct plus a blank space asking me to add wife/spouse. It is a problem as I am creating a book. I have already got round the problem in a chart by hiding it but "Descendent Outline" where it shows as "unknown. Any advice on how to deal with this.
Regards, Les.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry Les, but your description has somewhat confused me.
You say "an extra wife/spouse added by mistake" but later say "3 wives all with children which is now correct".
So it is not clear what needs correcting, nor how many wives/spouses there are.

It sounds like you may have some unwanted Family records that need deleting, but it is difficult to be certain.
Hiding boxes in Diagrams where there is a known mistake is not advisable. You need to fix the problem.

We need a screenshot of the Diagram with a supporting description of the family relationships you require.
See info:forums#posting_topics|> Posting Topics for advice on attaching a screenshot.