* Urgent Merge & Compare question

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Coolgarra
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

Urgent Merge & Compare question

Post by Coolgarra »

Help please! I am about a quarter of the way through a Merge & Compare activity importing a 7000-person file from a cousin, and I am on a countdown timer for Windows 10 to re-start my computer (I have delayed it for as long as I can), and shortly its going to happen automatically no matter what I do.

I am manually checking each matched person in the import (except those which are new). I don't want to lose what I have done so far, and I also don't really want to just press Merge at this point and end up with some of the things in the new file that are wrong. Of the ones I have checked there are some where his information is better than mine, and some where my information is better than his. I have already put Chk against all the "New" records, and against all my records to Keep.

What are my options?
Coolgarra
Platinum

Re: Urgent Merge & Compare question

Post by Coolgarra »

Ok...it's amazing how panic can clarify the mind!

I have realised that there is a workaround to my dilemma - I can bulk Unmatch and Discard all the of matches I haven't checked yet, then let the Merge go ahead. After the Windows 10 has done its thing I can Import & Merge the new file again.

All the ones I have already checked will already be updated, so the only ones left to import will be the ones which I still want to check.

The Headers, Places, Media, Repositories and Sources are all checked and complete. I am still working on Individuals and Families.

Is that going to work or is there a better way? The only issue I can see might be if I merge a Family when the Individuals are not merged...
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, that sounds like a reasonable strategy, but don't quote me on that.

You should be able to set the Windows 10 Update Active Hours to inhibit the Restart for many hours.

In future, consider splitting that large 7000 Individual Project into sub-trees and merge each one separately.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Coolgarra
Platinum

Post by Coolgarra »

Thanks Mike! Yes, I have already delayed the update as long as it is possible.

I don't believe there is a way to further delay it, although I found some chat about stopping the updates altogether for a short period, but unfortunately I have Windows 10 Home which doesn't have the right components to do it. I also found someone talking about how to enable it in Windows 10 home, but that didn't work with my laptop. It seems that there is something inherently broken in the Operating system as this particular Win10 update has been repeatedly trying to install and failing every time since last May! It is driving me nuts as every time it fails it then downloads the whole thing again (slowing my laptop during that process), then takes several hours to install (when I can't use the laptop), gets to nearly the end and says "sorry can't complete the update...restoring your original Operating System! I work in IT so this technical stuff doesn't faze me, and I don't like to be beaten by it.

I have searched the net for solutions, and tried them all to no avail. I have given quite strong feedback to Microsoft...but it seems I really only have 2 solutions, completely reinstall Windows 10 (this takes days before I get it back to what I want), or buy a new laptop, (on the cards as this one is more than 3 years old and the USB ports and VGA ports, along with the network card are all playing up).

Yes, a good suggestion to break the import project into smaller ones. I have already spent a several weeks tidying it up before attempting this import, so many of the shared records already match. I am pretty comfortable with my work-around, and think I might even just go ahead with it now. Then do the Windows Update and have another go. I'll report back how it works.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Have you seen the glossary:windows_10_upgrade_tips|> Windows 10 Upgrade Tips?

I know they focus on upgrading from an earlier Windows version to Windows 10 but many of the tips still apply to upgrading from Windows 10, such as deactivating packages that run in the background like anti-virus tools.

If the upgrade gets through to nearly the end it is probably a device driver that is the cause.
Check they are all up-to-date, or perhaps try uninstalling any for unusual devices, and reinstall after the upgrade.

Instead of relying on the automatic Windows Update, try the glossary:windows_10_upgrade_tips#alternative_upgrade_method|> Alternative Upgrade Method.
At the Download Windows 10 website use the Create Windows 10 installation media option.
Expand Using the tool to upgrade this PC to Windows 10 which includes option to Keep personal files and apps.
This allows you to bypass all the upgrades since last May and jump straight to the October 2018 version 1809.

Use the option to create the installation media so you don't suffer the download time if the install fails.
You can just try more aggressive deactivating of packages and drivers, etc, and try the install again.
Coolgarra
Platinum

Post by Coolgarra »

Yes thanks Mike, I have tried all of those. It's so annoying but my older and smaller netbook has done the upgrade perfectly!

By the way my workaround for the Merge and Import seems to have worked. I am now waiting for the Win10 update to restart (not quite sure exactly when it is going to happen and manually re-starting isn't kicking it off this time).

Thanks for your support!
Cheers
Chris
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

If your further experiments confirm that Merge techniques works well, I will add it to the [kb]|[/kb]

So if I have understood you correctly, you have downloaded and created installation media (e.g. USB stick) for the Windows 10 October 2018 version 1809 and that still won't install?
Doing it that way, you are in charge of when to upgrade and not reliant on automatic Windows Update.
Coolgarra
Platinum

Post by Coolgarra »

Thanks Mike. I am even considering making a training video on the Merge, as I am running a small Family Historian User Group here in Rockhampton and no doubt someone else will do it at some point. I'll let you know on the progress.

Yes, you are correct I have created an upgrade disk and attempted to upgrade from that. The same thing happened, as in it failed at the end of the upgrade. You are also correct in your observation that doing so from the disk allows one to choose the timing, but unfortunately it doesn't stop the automatic attempts to upgrade from Windows.

I didn't do it from USB as I think I mentioned my USB ports are not working all the time, and that some proponents are saying 'don't have anything plugged into USB as that may cause upgrade issues'. I even created a new 'clean' User profile to try, in case there is some corruption in my profile.

I am at the point where I just 'live with it' but there are times when it impacts adversely on me, such as a longer project which can't be shut down safely in the middle, such as the Import and Merge here. The main thing I need to do is write down the date and time that I have postponed the re-start to, so I am sure of when it is going to happen! :D
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

What fooled me was your statement that you had been trying since last May.
So I assumed you were still trying the Spring 2018 version 1803 installation.
It now appears that even the October 2018 version 1809 has the same problem.
David2416
Superstar

Post by David2416 »

One trick I have tried in the past is:
With the computer up and running,
Do a restart. When that's completed. Shutdown. Then reboot.
Ensure that the shutdown has completed before rebooting.

I have used this successfully to recover from a stalled update that is preventing further updates.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

David, are you talking about minor updates, or the 6-monthly major feature updates to Window 10?
David2416
Superstar

Post by David2416 »

Not sure about which updates I have used that approach on, it might be worth a try as a restart is sometimes needed rather than shut down and reboot. It's a while since I have needed to use it.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You are absolutely correct that a Restart behaves somewhat differently than a Shutdown and Startup.
Strangely, with Windows 10, a Restart is deeper and more thorough than a Shutdown.
jbtapscott
Megastar

Post by jbtapscott »

I believe it has something to do with the "Fast Startup" option (which is "on" by default in Windows 10). To achieve the faster start up, Windows 10 hibernates the kernal so that it can boot faster. A Restart does not do this and thus could be considered a more "complete" shutdown / start up!
Brent Tapscott ~ researching the Tapscott and Wallace family history
Tapscott & Wallace family tree
LizJ
Silver
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by LizJ »

Hi,
I am also trying to break off during a merge/compare as I can not complete this at the moment.
Can anyone confirm whether this can be done, and also how?
Many thanks
Liz
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG Liz.

Are you new to FH, or have you used FH for sometime but only just joined the FHUG?

If FH is new to you, then I suggest you spend time becoming familiar with its features before using File Merge/Compare.
e.g. Start with how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers.

Have you seen the advice at glossary:merge_compare_files|> Merge/Compare File?

If the GEDCOM you are merging into your Project is quite large, then consider splitting it into subsidiary branches, such as paternal grandfather, paternal grandmother, maternal grandfather, and maternal grandmother, so each is more manageable. You can easily Cancel you current Merge in order to adopt a better strategy.

The technique Chris used to break off a Merge part way, was to first ensure all Sources, Media, and other tabs are all thoroughly checked first, with the exception of Individuals and Families tabs.
Then bulk Unmatch and Discard all the of matches not checked yet, and let the Merge go ahead.
When the Merge is restarted, everything previously matched should auto-Match, just leaving the unmatched Individuals and Families to check.
I have paraphrased what Chris said and hope it is correct.