* Family Facts

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
E Wilcock
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Family Facts

Post by E Wilcock »

When my projects were imported from TMG to fh, I changed all my Note Events to research Notes using either the TMG Utility or more recently the plug in Change any fact. It was Mike's excellent suggestion to avoid any confusion with fh Note fields.

This week for the first time I have been outputting information from my trees in fh.

The Note tag appears to have remained labelled Note where it is attached to a marriage. And when I run the plug in to change it, the Tag Research Notes does not appear. i.e. It has become a Family Fact.

Obviously this affects output as I have people experiencing Note. I ran a query and there are few instances, so I could edit them out by hand.

And I think it only happens where I made the change using the plug in. In the days when I tidied up prior to import, may be it didnt happen?

(And trouble with Help once again as if I enter Family Facts, it kinds omits the search term family.)
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Family Facts

Post by tatewise »

Since it is a Family records Fact, are you using the Family Records tab in the Change Any Fact Tag Plugin?
i.e. Similar to the Records Window where the Families tab handles Family records.

I tried the FH Help > Search Help and it found plenty of topics on "Family Facts".

Likewise the Search... box above FHUG Forum found plenty on "Family Facts".

I suspect you are using the lower Search this forum... box which does have novel nuances.

Also remember to enclose in string quotes as "Family Facts" to avoid searching for Family and Facts separately.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Thank you Mike. I had a further look at your plug in and my use of it. Unfortunately this is turns out to be larger TMG import problem.
I dont like to trouble you on a fine Sunday, so there is no hurry to fix this, but I would appreciate your advice.
I have only just adopted fh as my only genealogy program. I have 7 Projects in fh and one remaining in TMG yet to come.

Coincidentally this week I needed full information to send narrative descendants reports from 2 different Projects. The unexpected appearance of the sentence, xxxx and yyyyy experienced zzzzz revealed that the import had created custom Family Tags in fh.
These cannot be changed using your plug in and as far as I can see, I cant write new sentences for them either.

In TMG one was allowed two Principals (people) for a single event. Although the TMG Import advice suggests that this will be dealt with and two individual events will be created on import, this has not happened in my case, or at least has not been complete.

Any Event which I personally used in TMG with more than one Principal has been imported into fh as a (hidden) custom family fact. (see screenshot below)
I need to rid my projects of these non Gedcom Family Events.
You have already written a plug in to change a family census event to individual events. I down loaded it and copied it and opened it in notepad to see if I could change the Event name CEN to e.g. EMI. but the plug in includes children and is too complex for me to alter.

I thought it best to consult you. Particularly as there may be other TMG users who encounter this problem.
Attachments
Family events.JPG
Family events.JPG (87.8 KiB) Viewed 6571 times
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

And as a supplementary question. Why does the GEDCOM abbreviation for each fact type not appear in the field provided for it on the pane which opens when one is working on fact types? In TMG one can see that.
I did copy a project and copy and edit your plug in but it says it cant find any Immigration, Immigratn or IMMI family facts. I dont know if my editing is at fault, or whether these irregular family events are concealed from the plug in.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You say "These cannot be changed using your plug in and as far as I can see, I cant write new sentences for them either."
Neither of those statements are correct.

You can use the Change Any Fact Tag Plugin on its Family Records tab to change those Event-Misc into Research Notes, but you must first use Tools > Fact Types to create a New custom Family (not Individual) Research Note fact similar to the Individual one but tailored for the married couple.

You can define the Sentence Template for Event-Misc facts. In you screenshot below select the Event-Misc fact and click Edit which will allow all the usual Fact Definition options to be edited.

You can discover the associated tag for any item by using any one of the Data Ref Assistants we have spoken of many times before. There is one built into the Plugin editor window.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

I am sorry I am being slow about this. I think you are telling me that it is fine to have these custom family events in fh? And I dont need to change them, just adjust their sentence output for reports?

I said I couldnt edit them because I got this warning and didnt dare go further.
"This event or attribute is currently undefined. Do you wish to create a definition for it."

Since you said to go ahead, I clicked what showed as default on the pane, to make immigration a custom event (though I had previously hesitated to do this, as I didnt want to accept it.)

I edited the sentence in Family fact Immigration but when I came to Research Notes I got a warning that there was already an individual Event with that name. And it wasnt recommended to re-use for a family fact the name one had had for an individual fact.
I have ignored the warning and gone ahead anyway.

I think I am doing something wrong with the choices offered in your plug in. I dont know the different between Custom and defined Events and the same enclosed in < and >.
But I have dealt with my main tree and the only move required, from family Note to family Research Notes, worked perfectly thank you.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

May I refer back to your earlier statement that "the TMG Import advice suggests that this will be dealt with and two individual events will be created on import". The how_to:import_from_tmg#import_guide|> Import Guide says for this form of 2 Principal tag:
Every Tag with 2 Principal Persons as spouses/partners becomes a Family Fact (Event/Attribute)
i.e. much the same as Marriage and Divorce events. I think you eyes must have strayed onto the next line that deals with 2 Principals who are NOT a Family couple.

I apologise that I did not forwarn you about the warnings that would arise from the changes that I suggested, but I was in a hurry to get out to see my grandson play rugby ~ they won 9 - 5 :D

It is perfectly OK to have custom Family Facts if it is appropriate that they apply to the family couple/partners/spouses.

The Help & Advice page explains the Change Any Fact Tag option for the Tag Set.
See plugins:help:change_any_fact_tag:individual_records_tab|> Change Any Fact Tag ~ Individual Records tab.
Standard refers to standard GEDCOM facts.
Any Custom Fact Set name ( without < > ) refers to custom facts such as Custom or a downloaded Fact Set
<Custom Facts> refers to undefined imported custom facts such as your Event-Misc
<Defined Tags> refer to other standard level 1 tags that are NOT facts, such as NAME, SEX & NOTE
<UDF Tags> refers to level 1 UDF (if any)

If after all you wish the Family Research Note fact to become Individual facts then there are two options.
My Migrate Family Fact to Individual and Witness will create a Research Note for husband with wife as Witness.
Or the Migrate Census Family to Individual Events could be modified to split it into two Research Note facts; one for husband and one for wife.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

You are right - I got it wrong and got into a terrible muddle.
I always do as you tell me and everything is put right. I have just sent off a complete descendants itemised report - (also your design) for my husband's family to our main researcher.
You were totally right to watch the Rugby - I am glad they won. We were gardening. That is why I felt bad posting on a Sunday and said it could wait till a weekday. But thank you for sorting me out.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

tatewise wrote:Import Guide says for this form of 2 Principal tag:
Every Tag with 2 Principal Persons as spouses/partners becomes a Family Fact (Event/Attribute)
i.e. much the same as Marriage and Divorce events. I think you eyes must have strayed onto the next line that deals with 2 Principals who are NOT a Family couple.
As a Postscript to this thread.
The fact that a user like me has read the above doesn't necessarily mean that it registers. I have never met family facts in my previous software. And that is going to be true for most new users.
So then we ask naturally what is a family fact? And are told it is an event that necessitates man and wife, like marriage and divorce.
However my imported two principal facts are not always man and wife.
I used it for Occupation where one person was apprenticed to or employed by another.
I used it for residence - so I have arrived in fh with the unrelated principals.
It doesn't really matter now I have sorted out the sentences. But they are none the less there.

I didn't see that you had written a plug in to migrate any family fact to an individual fact plus a witness - sorry about that.
I use your change any fact plug in and the term migrate didn't occur to me.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

My quote and the Import Guide identifies both cases of 2 Principal TMG facts:
1) Where they are spouses/partners, i.e. Family couple whether married or not
2) Where they are not spouses/partners, i.e. Unrelated such as apprentice & employer

Regarding Family facts, we usually advise new users to become familiar with FH features before going to far.
Also that is where these Forums come into their own in answering questions.
Our recently added alphabetic_index|> Knowledge Base Index has an entry for Fact Types that leads to glossary:work_with_fact_sets|> Work with Fact Sets/Fact Types which identifies the two types of fact with blue and red bullets.
Perhaps that Index needs specific entries for Family Facts and for Individual Facts?

My migrate Plugin was written earlier this year for a user with a particular problem.
See harmonizing TMG9 tag types with FH6 fact types (16492) and the Attachment on Tue 8th Jan 2019 12:05.
As I am sure you recall, many of my quick fix Plugins do not get published in the Plugin Store.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

No, I didnt know that Mike. I will have a look. I do follow this forum all the time as I learn so much from it. But I dont see everything and owe you an apology as my situation I now realise is the same as on the other thread where you posted the plug in. Since my facts were not labelled TMG as they imported, I didnt read the rest carefully, nor see that it applied to me too.