* Broken Media Links when Importing from My Heritage Family Tree Builder

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
RobertofLadywell
Silver
Family Historian: V6.2

Broken Media Links when Importing from My Heritage Family Tree Builder

Post by RobertofLadywell »

I was shocked to find 170 broken media links when importing from My Heritage Family Tree Builder after having followed the guidance here.
It's strange that some photos have linked satisfactorily but so many have not. Re-linking will be time consuming and in some cases it will not be clear which person they relate to.
Any help will be welcome.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Broken Media Links when Importing from My Heritage Family Tree Builder

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG Robert.

I guess the guidance you followed is how_to:import_from_myheritage|> Import from MyHeritage (MYH)?

Presumably you did synchronise Family Tree Builder with the MyHeritage online tree before Export GEDCOM.

Re-linking should not be as difficult as you imagine, and can probably be automated, but we need a few more clues.
Did you use Tools > External File Links to check which File links are broken?

The first thing to understand is the Media records are quite distinct from the Media files.
It is the Media records that are linked to Individual, Family and Source records.
The links that are broken are between the File path in the Media record and the Media Windows file path.
So, providing the filenames involved are mostly unique, FH can be guided to automatically find them.

BTW: I assume that the File paths (both good and broken) are all outside the FH Project's Media folder.
If not, then is there any correlation between good and broken paths as to their format or location?

Please confirm that in the Media records the broken File paths are Windows file paths and not Website URL.
You can view them in Tools > External File Links and check those with an X.

If Website URL, then perhaps you didn't successfully synchronise Family Tree Builder with the MyHeritage online tree.

If Windows file paths, then in Tools > External File Links try the Auto Repair Links button.
BTW: If that does not work for all the File links then there are other techniques.

If anything is not clear then please ask again.

Let us know how you get on, because having repaired the links there are further adjustments worth making.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
RobertofLadywell
Silver

Thank you for your welcome. I'm really impressed with the speed of your response!

Yes the guidance I followed was indeed the one you indicated and I did synchronise FTB with My Heritage.

I can confirm that all the links are windows links rather than URLs and that I have tried the auto repair function without success.

I've attached screen shots to show the location of the good and bad links. E: is my external hard drive.

I look forward to your further advice.

Location of Good Photo Links.docx
Shows location of both good and bad links.
(168.34 KiB) Downloaded 237 times
Location of Brocken Photo Links Family Historian.docx
Shows location of bad links
(154.87 KiB) Downloaded 238 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

So, all the good files have migrated into the Project's Media folder under the Smith Family Tree...Photos sub-folder.

The broken links refer to the E:\Family Tree\GEDCOM Files\MyHeritage GEDs\Smith Family Tree...Photos\ folder.
Do any of those Media files such as P397. and P472_432_216.jpg actually exist in that folder?
I suspect not, which explains why they did not auto-migrate into the Project's Media folder, and are broken links.

So where are they? Can you locate them anywhere on your PC? Try a Cortana search for an unusual one.
Where do they exist in MyHeritage FTB? Perhaps in your ...\Documents\MyHeritage\<project>\Photos\ folder?

If you can locate them, then copy them to that E: drive folder above initially.
Once the broken links are mended, then we can move them into the Project's Media folder alongside the others.

If you cannot locate them, then presumably they never did exist in MyHeritage either.
RobertofLadywell
Silver

Well your advice has prompted me to look deeper.

The broken links appear not to exist. There are no files in the "E:\Family Tree\GEDCOM Files\MyHeritage GEDs\Smith Family Tree...Photos\ folder" of the file name type shown as broken links.

However, looking at examples I couldn't see the files against the individuals in my tree in Diagram view. I think what has happened is that the photos have migrated but have not been given that position one tag that makes them appear in Diagram view.

So it looks as though I just need to go through each individual and make adjustments to their associated media to make them appear in Diagram View. That will be a long task for winter evenings but at least I know that neither the files/photos nor their links have actually been lost.

Many thanks
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry, but I am not convinced your assumptions are correct.
Those broken links are derived from photos that must have existed in MyHeritage.
If those 'missing' images affect a Media record that is in Pref position 1 in the Media tab of an Individual then it will say Unable to load object in the Media tab, appear as a large box with an X in most displays, but will NOT appear at all in Diagrams and Reports.

The reason those photos don't appear in Diagrams is because they are NOT where the FH Media records expect them to be, and that is the definition of a broken link.

If you can find those photo files, and mend the links, those images will automatically appear in the Diagrams and elsewhere.

Please can you look in MyHeritage folders, etc, as I requested.
Those photo files must exist in MyHeritage somewhere otherwise they would not have been mentioned in the GEDCOM file.
It is simply that they have not made the journey into the drive E: folder.

Perhaps if you explained the process of getting your photos from MyHeritage onto drive E: it might reveal where they have gone astray. It is not obvious why they are on drive E: when FH is on drive C:. Have they migrated from another PC?
RobertofLadywell
Silver

Phew. Well, I synchronised my Family Tree Builder with My Heritage. I then created a GEDCOM file from FTB which I placed in my external hard rive, Drive E.

I place all files I create in Drive E rather than my computer's on board hard Drive - Drive C, routinely. My computer crashed recently (before I installed Family Historian) and had to be rebuilt (update to Windows 10 did not agree with my Broadcom Gigbit Controller and had to be reconfigured back to windows 7) so I was glad to have all my files in my external drive.

I have found the media files both in the FH Media Folder and on my Drive E folder and both looked the same and neither contained the 4 digit "P397" type files. I copied the Drive E files to the FH Media Folder and ran the routine to repair links but to no avail.

The photos do in fact appear as a large box with an X in most displays, and do not appear at all in Diagrams when not in first position. However, when I go in and move photos to place 1 they do appear.

I don't have a current subscription to My Heritage although it is still possible to sync my tree to FTB and view my tree there. I haven't been able to view the photo folder on line.

Everything has been done on my Windows 7 PC.

Does this help clarify?

My plan in buying Family Historian is to have a single version of my tree from now on on my own computer and add new information to this from whatever source. I'm hoping this will avoid future problems of this nature and make life simpler in future. I think I'll add an online back up as well for extra security.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

OK, that all makes sense.
You told MyHeritage to export the GEDCOM file to the E: drive.
But how did the photo image files get there?
Did MyHeritage automatically copy those files there too?

If not, then you must have copied them from wherever MyHeritage expects to find them onto drive E:.

Maybe the missing files are in a different path as far as MyHeritage is concerned and for some reason did not get copied.

FH didn't invent those filenames ~ they were put in the GEDCOM file by MyHeritage so it must know about them.

Presumably those preferred photos are displayed within MyHeritage otherwise those FH Media would not be Pref 1.
As I suggested before, please dig around in MyHeritage itself and its associated project folders.
You must be able to find some evidence of those missing photo files if their images appear in MyHeritage.
Try using the Cortana search for an unusual filename of a missing file such as P472_432_216.jpg.

There are only two possible outcomes.
1) You discover those photo files whose images are displayed in MyHeritage and so can copy them to FH.
2) You realise they are not displayed in MyHeritage so are broken links there too, and thus are irretrievable.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Corollary to my last posting (so please check that first)...

Whichever of the two outcomes apply, or even if some photos are discovered and others are irretrievable, the Media records should be able to be mended or removed semi-automatically. You should not need to slog through each of the 170 by hand.
RobertofLadywell
Silver

Well I can't access the photos or my MyHeritage tree as I don't have a current My Heritage Subscription. I asked MyHeritage's advice and was first told to download a GEDCOM again directly from MyHeritage but not to change the file name and no photos came with it at all.

I have asked for the matter to be pushed up a level at MyHeritage but I'm not hopeful.

I believe that I do now have all or most of the photo files and it is the links to the individuals and placing them in place 1 that is the issue. You say that the Media records should be able to be mended or removed semi-automatically - can we move on to try this, please.

Thanks
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I don't have a MyHeritage subscription but can still run the Family Tree Builder on my PC.
Even if FTB won't run you can still inspect its PC project folders for photo files.
Did you try a Cortana search as I suggested? At no point have I talked about MyHeritage online trees.
I have assumed all along that we were focussed on the PC base FTB, and hope that is true.
However, if you are happy to move on then deleting the broken link Media records is easy.
That will elminate them from Media tabs and elevate the next item Pref number.

See how_to:delete_a_large_number_of_records|> Delete Any Number of Records for the method of using a Named List to delete multiple records.

In the Records Window open the Media tab and click on the File column header to sort them.
Select all those that start with E:\... and copy to a Named List and delete them.