* An Inhabitant Tree?

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
PyreneesPirate
Famous
Family Historian: V7

An Inhabitant Tree?

Post by PyreneesPirate »

Hello all,

Just a quick question...…

My wife has decided to try to find out the past inhabitants of our house.....Is there any way that FH can handle this? A tree by house and not family?

Would love to know if FH can handle this. If not is there another package out there that can?

Best wishes,

PP
Jane
Site Admin

Re: An Inhabitant Tree?

Post by Jane »

There is nothing to stop you doing this, you could simply set up Individual records for each Family, but instead of linking the head of household to their parents simply link to the previous head of household, with an Adopted status.

Another option would be to set each set of residents as separate families and then add them all to a chart with multiple trees one for each set including the residence events for the House in question. This would keep the Family groups "clean", and help as in with several addresses on my tree several sets of relations lived in the house at different times.

A named list could hold each of the Family Groups to make it easy to pull out a report with everyone on it.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

A snag with Jane's first idea is that the ages of the successive households may not be valid for a parent-child relationship.
If a young couple is followed by an elderly couple, then FH will warn that the elderly couple DoB is too early for the young couple as parents.

I think Jane's second suggestion is better, as it keeps the family household groups together.
You don't actually need Named Lists as each unrelated family would have a different Relationship Pool number.

If you wanted a Diagram that automatically shows all the residents in succession, then create a dummy Individual record that represents the house with its name as the address, and link each head of household Individual as a child of that house record in the order they resided there. Beware that the order may get disrupted if you sort everything by date.
BTW: That would make everyone have the same Relationship Pool number, so the Named Lists would be needed.

Alternatively, if you create a Family Historian Chart with each household family inserted as a separate tree (as Jane suggests) then as each family grows the Family Historian Chart will automatically add the extra details. It is only when a new household is discovered that another sub-tree will need to be inserted. As the trees grow you may have to use the movement controls to prevent them overlapping.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
PyreneesPirate
Famous

Post by PyreneesPirate »

Thanks to Jane and Mike for your quick response and ideas. I'll try the second option and let you know how I go.

The help on this forum never ceases to amaze me...….Thanks again.

PP