* DNA Ancestor tree

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
E Wilcock
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

DNA Ancestor tree

Post by E Wilcock »

I am posting this fully aware of the thread Skeleton Tree for Ancestry (15079).

As more and more genealogists order DNA reports, it has surely become a basic necessity for genealogical software including fh to provide for simple and easy export of a pared down ancestor tree in a format tailored for the site to which it is to be uploaded.

It is high time that Calico Pie provided for the selection of Fact types and attributes in an export. It is no good protesting that each person wants something different. That is exactly why users need a drop down list of facts and attributes from which to choose.

I tried to up load my ancestors to Ancestry yesterday.
Selecting the right people was problem free. As a user of multiple projects, I first merged my four ancestral trees using the fh merge file command. This worked very easily. Using the new project I selected only my ancestors, for a new Ancestor project.

Mike's export GEDCOM plug in ancestry format also worked well. And uploaded.

What was lacking was the opportunity to select only those Events and attributes and notes I wished to export. In my case BMD, census and no notes at all.

I found no way to do this. The clean unwanted fields plug in (which I downloaded) remains a complete mystery to me. I do not understand how to edit the list using data references.

To be fair Roots Magic does not allow for selection of exported Events.
But as a TMG user I was able to delete Tags by type using John Cardinal's program TMG Utility. (3rd party like a plug in)

May be I have to export my ancestors tree to TMG run the utility to delete the fields.
Bring it back into fh and run the Export plug in?

As has been reported by others, my citation notes were exported in full. The correct option might be to export without sources. May be delete all source records in fh first?

It is very often the case in fh that there are long, long complex instructions for doing something that lots of us need to do quickly and easily. May be there is a quick easy way of tailoring one's Gedcom export, as per a report - but I didnt find it.
Valkrider
Megastar

Re: DNA Ancestor tree

Post by Valkrider »

One thing not to forget is that a gedcom file is just a plain text file.

That means that you can edit it in a good text editor such as Notepad++. Editors like this allow you to do complex or simple searches and deletion of records that you don't want. This may be one easier solution than loading your project into TMG. I am sure that Mike and others will come up with alternative suggestions.

I did a video on using Notepad++ to edit some other files some while ago. Take a look at this video from the starting point in the link and it shows some of the editing capabilities of Notepad++ https://youtu.be/S6czvnq_Eq4?t=107
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

I wrote a plugin to do something similar to this for a previous request for another user. It's similar to Mikes excellent "Clean Unwanted" information, but does not have an interface.

They wanted something similar to you but also wished to exclude census information.

You can see the article here https://www.taubman.org.uk/family/wp/20 ... historian/

To include your Census events you simply need to edit one line in the plugin changing
clnFacts(pi,{'BIRT','DEAT'})
to
clnFacts(pi,{'BIRT','DEAT','CENS'})

I suggest you run the plugin it can be downloaded from the end of the article on a test gedcom and see if it is near to what you want.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The Skeleton Tree for Ancestry (15079) posting refers to how_to:exporting_gedcom_with_multimedia#export_to_website_without_sensitive_data|> Export to Website Without Sensitive Data that under File > Split Tree Helper Command says among other things
..., delete all Note fields or [[private]] text within records, ..., and delete any specified Facts.
So once you have composed your Merged ancestral tree, use the File > Split Tree Helper to filter your Note fields and Facts much as you can in Reports.

I recognise that it would be better if the filter features of Export > GEDCOM File and Split Tree Helper were amalgamated. i.e. Export > GEDCOM File needs the Facts, Notes, Flags & Named List filters, whereas Split Tree Helper needs the Individual record selection and Place record filter.

Unfortunately, as FH has evolved over the years, the overall consistency of it features & dialogues has suffered.
Calico Pie have been told that the Place record filter in the Split Tree Helper was overlooked, but it has never been fixed.
Try reporting other inconsistencies between Export > GEDCOM File and Split Tree Helper.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Thank you both. My brain has become increasingly fuzzy Mike.
I dont want to split the tree so didnt understand using the split tree helper. Especially as I had just amalgamated 4 trees.
Is the idea that the Split tree helper can be used to strip off events? Without splitting a tree?
I spent so much time yesterday struggling with this and my lost project that I now need to go and see to other things but will tackle it later.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, the Split Tree Helper can strip off Facts and Notes, etc, etc, without splitting your tree.
Think of it as splitting off various data elements, which may include Individual records, but does not have to.

The very first option for Individual Records defaults to Do not delete any Individual records.

The red text at the top says in a Note towards the end:
Note: This function does not have to be used as part of a tree-splitting process. It can be used at any time, to delete unwanted data.
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

I must admit that I still get confused myself because the name Split Tree Helper nudges you into thinking that it's only for use in a splitting situation. Whereas of course, as Mike points out, it can be used at any time. Presumably it's been thought that renaming it, would cause as much confusion as it removes.

But to state what should be obvious, but may not be - it deletes stuff. Permanently. So if you're creating a copy to load elsewhere, create the copy first and then use the Split Tree Helper on the copy.

Apologies if that's a statement of the obvious to anyone... But I've nearly got the steps the wrong way round on at least one occasion.
Adrian
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Well, that is done. But it did not go well and involved hours of editing (deleting) on ancestry.
This may be entirely due to my user error and relates only to data imported to fh from TMG - but since I have my husband's still to do, I would like to ask some questions.

I have two exported Gedcoms. Each of 205 indiviiduals. I have looked at them both in Notepad.
The first was produced before using the splitter. It included fields I did not want so I deleted it from ancestry. That Gedcom file starts in the normal manner for a Gedcom.

The second, the one I used, after selecting fields in the tree splitter, has gathered up some facts from TMG which are not visible in fh. They appear by each person. They indicate people selected in TMG as my ancestors or of ancestral or descendant interest. Or flagged as such to colour them on the screen display. Altho it says Named list, there is no such Named list in the fh project. The Named list window shows only the default named lists with no member in any of them.

0 HEAD
1 SOUR FAMILY HISTORIAN
2 VERS 6.2.7
2 NAME Export Gedcom File Plugin Version 3.7
2 CORP Calico Pie Limited
1 GEDC
2 VERS 5.5
2 FORM LINEAGE-LINKED
1 CHAR UTF-8
0 @N2@ NOTE Ω Named List: Key Individuals
0 @N3@ NOTE Ω Named List: Work in Progress
0 @N4@ NOTE Ω Named List: Bookmarks
0 @N5@ NOTE Ω File Root: _ROOT

1 CONT INDI: [I1] Wolf Josephson GOLLIN
0 @I1@ INDI
1 NOTE @N5@
1 NAME Wolf Josephson /Gollin/
2 NPFX Rabbi
1 SEX M
1 BIRT
2 DATE BET 1755 AND 1756

I had a second problem in that each of these Ω Events imported to ancestry was accompanied by a citation note - which I had to delete.

My ancestry tree also includes valid citation notes none of which is attached to a source. So I seem to have prevented the GEDCOM export of sources, but allowed citations? Or at least citation notes.
It can wait till a weekday, Mike, but please can you tell me how to sort this out before I output another tree for my husband?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I have to say your posted snippet of GEDCOM does not match your description.
It has a Note record (0 @N2@ NOTE Ω Named List: ) for each Named List instead of a Source record.
So either you did not post the correct GEDCOM, or did not choose (ANC) Ancestry Family Tree, or its default settings have been changed.
Nevertheless, I assume you want Named Lists to be disregarded, so set the Export Gedcom File Plugin as follows.
Ensure GEDCOM Export Mode is set to (ANC) Ancestry Family Tree.
Ensure (-) Brief Data to the left is selected (this eliminates Named Lists and other custom FH details).
On the Extra Options tab, click Reset these ANC- Options lower right (just to be sure).

Let me know if there are still any remaining unwanted data items.

I don't understand your mention of facts from TMG not visible in FH. Please post a GEDCOM snippet.

In general, when you want minimal data, use the Plugin (-) Brief Data option instead of (+) Full Data that tries to represent ALL fragments of FH data in the exported GEDCOM using a structure accepted by the target product. That is what produces the Ω prefixed Events, Notes, Sources, etc.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

As always Mike I am very grateful. But I was also not knowledgeable enough to understand.

You are saying that the Ω prefixed Events and notes arose from fh and were not from TMG.
Opening the file, I see you are correct. I apologise. I had no named lists in the project and was not aware that the record flags from TMG came into fh.

The creation of ancestry trees involved bringing all my remaining genealogy projects into fh. I can no longer work in TMG. And I cut corners so assumed it was my error on the import.

Now I understand that the Ω prefixed events related to record flags in fh, I can delete them. And I apologise for getting it all wrong.

The various Ω prefixed events were attached to every person in the tree together with an accompanying note which showed on the ancestry screen as a citation note. I believe that it was indeed a citation note as every event uploaded to ancestry had such a citation note.

I think there is something about this inadvertent export of citation notes, in the Knowledge Base, so I will look for the solution. But I probably wont be doing this till the weekend. And when I do export my husband's ancestors, I will do all you say.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

After using the Export Gedcom File Plugin, anything with the Ω prefix was synthesised by the Plugin from FH data that needed to be converted to be compatible with the target product.

Every Project always has the thee default Named Lists, that may be empty, and may be exported with Ω prefix.

Just follow my advice to use the (-) Brief Data option, and I suspect most if not all your problems will vanish, because all that Ω prefixed stuff will be omitted.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Mike - I didnt select the minimal export. I use that for my website which is on rootsweb.
But for my ancestors on ancestry I wanted to include the census entries.
Most ancestry trees I look at include the census entries. And I quite like that.
I did manage to put up the tree with censuses by selecting them in the splitter. So I imagine I can do it again.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

It is the Split Tree Helper that allows you to include/exclude facts such as Census.

The (-) Brief Data option has NO effect on facts such as Census. I have no idea why you think it would.
It only removes FH custom data such as Named Lists, record Flags, and other non-standard GEDCOM tags.
i.e. Just the data that you were complaining about with the Ω prefix.
Pretty PLEASE try that (-) Brief Data setting.

The Export Gedcom File Plugin in (ANC) Ancestry Family Tree mode usually converts Census events to Residence facts, because Ancestry prefers to associates Residence facts with Census records.
If you don't want that conversion, then on Other Options tab untick Census Event 1 CENS Change to Residence lower right.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Mike, I am adding to this thread rather than the threads on Notes and on Plug ins.
I followed your instructions and, thank you, they worked. I would mention as feedback that my selection of the brief data option vanished once or twice while I was checking other windows. I also realise that in the past I may have mistaken brief data for brief date, so didn't realise the option was there.

However I have a fresh problem with a Ω sign. This was created by me inadvertently when I merged my husband's maternal and paternal ancestry trees. The import (I thought ) was creating an additional source. But it creates a note and these notes are what show up as a citation by every individual in a tree uploaded to ancestry. This must have caused the problems with my previous tree.

On the Gedcom it looks like this

3 PAGE Ω Note

I have opened the original project . It has no Notes at all and the 3 PAGE Ω Note is not listed as a source.
Do you know how I can locate it in fh and delete it please?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I don't understand how the (-) Brief Data option can vanish.
The setting can only toggle between (+) Full Data and (-) Brief Data mode.
Perhaps on returning to the Export Gedcom File window you accidentally clicked on the (+) Full Data option?

I think you are saying the 3 PAGE Ω Note exists in your composite DNA Project before using any of the export tools such as Split Tree Helper and Export Gedcom File to create the Export folder Ancestry GEDCOM.

That tag line cannot exist in isolation and it must be preceded by at least a 2 SOUR tag line.
Can you post a few lines surrounding that 3 PAGE Ω Note line?
Anyway, I suspect it is being treated by FH as a UDF.
If you run the UDF List Plugin, does that report those PAGE tags as UDF?
If so, you know how to delete them, or as a reminder see how_to:handling_unrecognised_data_fields|> Handling Uncategorised Data Fields (UDF).
You may have to close and open FH to erase all remnants of those rogue tags.

If my assumptions above are incorrect, then please give me some more clues.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Thank you Mike.
I need to correct my last post. It was my selection of the Brief data that vanished. It kept reverting back to full data. But eventually that stopped happening and the choice remained.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I already corrected your posting from 'short' to 'brief' hours ago. :D
And I've explained about reverting to Full mode in my latest reply.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

I think you are saying the 3 PAGE Ω Note exists in your composite DNA Project before using any of the export tools such as Split Tree Helper and Export Gedcom File to create the Export folder Ancestry GEDCOM.

No, after running both those. But allow for user error.

4 TEXT Axxxxx Wxxxxx 1901 Qu: Jul-Aug-Sep Wakefield Volume: 9c Page: 71
1 RESI
2 DATE 29 SEP 1939
2 PLAC xx Abbey Road , Aylesbury M.B., Buckinghamshire, England
2 SOUR @S185@
2 SOUR @S242@
3 PAGE Ω Note
3 DATA
4 TEXT Axxxx was listed as An electricity meter superintendant.
1 BAPM
2 DATE ABT 1956
2 SOUR @S242@
3 PAGE Ω Note
3 DATA
4 TEXT in the Church of England.
1 DEAT
2 DATE 3 MAY 2000
2 PLAC Ipswich Hospital, Ipswich
2 SOUR @S56@
3 DATA
4 TEXT registered the death
1 BURI
2 DATE 10 MAY 2000
2 PLAC Ipswich
2 SOUR @S56@
2 SOUR @S242@
3 PAGE Ω Note
3 DATA
4 TEXT Cremated at Ipswich Crematorium. Ashes later buried at St Margaret's Churchyard, Ipswich.
1 BURI
2 DATE 2000
2 PLAC St Margaret's Church, Ipswich
2 SOUR @S242@
3 PAGE Ω Note
3 DATA
4 TEXT burial of ashes
1 FAMC @F10@
1 FAMS @F19@
0 @S242@ SOUR
1 TITL Ω Note
0 @I1@ INDI
1 NAME John /Wilcock/

I will also paste in a bit from the end of the gedcom showing that this import note is preserved in the export
1 TITL Huddersfield Baptisms Transcription
1 NOTE Record originated in...
2 SOUR @S195@
0 @S239@ SOUR
1 TITL Huddersfield Baptisms Transcription
2 SOUR @S195@
0 @S240@ SOUR
1 TITL File (merged): C:\Users\EandC\Documents\GEDCOMdata\Ancestors of Christopher.ged
1 NOTE Merged 08/02/2019 12:00
2 SOUR @S195@
0 @S241@ SOUR
1 TITL File (merged): C:\Users\EandC\Documents\GEDCOMdata\Ancestors of Christopher.ged
1 NOTE Merged 08/02/2019 12:02
2 SOUR @S195@
0 TRLR

If you think I am running the split tree helper wrong I will do it again. I used it only to specify which Events I wanted to preserve. b m d with baptism, burial plus occupation, and census. I left the sources in.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Ah yes, I see what is happening.
Those were local Note entries on each associated Fact.
So considering the first RESIdence fact, in your DNA Project the original Census fact has a local Note saying Axxxx was listed as An electricity meter superintendant. and the BAPM fact local Note says in the Church of England.

Ancestry does not allow such local Notes on Facts, so the Export Gedcom File Plugin preserves each one as a synthesised Citation identified as Ω Note with the Note text moved to the Text From Source field.

I suspect those fact or any other local Note text are not needed in your Ancestry DNA tree.
So in your DNA Project use the Split Tree Helper to delete them by setting Notes lower left to Delete all note fields within records.

You could also tick Delete All Flags and Delete All Named Lists although the Export Gedcom File Plugin removes them.

Also under Other Records it is worth setting them all to Delete Xxxxxx Records left with no links to them.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

I did that Mike but the whole record citations are still there. The whole record citation show for all the people from the paternal line who were not already on the maternal tree.

1 NAME Richard Thomas /Wilcock/
2 SOUR @S6@
1 SEX M
1 BIRT
2 DATE 20 NOV 1873
2 PLAC Wakefield, Yorkshire
2 SOUR @S185@
1 BAPM
2 DATE 11 JAN 1874
2 PLAC St Johns, Wakefield
2 SOUR @S186@
1 RESI
2 DATE 31 MAR 1901
2 PLAC 9 Howard St, Wakefield, Yorkshire
2 SOUR @S50@
1 DEAT
2 DATE 24 FEB 1941
2 PLAC Clayton Hospital, Wakefield, Yorkshire
2 SOUR @S47@
2 SOUR @S46@
1 BURI
2 DATE 26 FEB 1941
2 PLAC Wakefield, Yorkshire
1 FAMC @F3@
1 FAMS @F10@
1 EVEN
2 TYPE Ω Whole Record Citation
2 SOUR @S240@

I much appreciate your patience in helping to solve this. Have I done something wrong in the split tree helper?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

OK, that is a new problem as you have not mentioned Ω Whole Record Citation events before.

They are synthesised from, guess what, whole Individual record Source Citations.

The associated details are shown in your 'bit from the end of the gedcom' in previous posting.

Two of them come from the option at the end of the Merge/Compare File command to add a citation to merged records.

I suggest in your DNA Project in the Records Window on its Sources tab, locate those Source records and delete them.
i.e.
File (merged): C:\Users\EandC\Documents\GEDCOMdata\Ancestors of Christopher.ged both Rec Id [240] and [241]
and maybe Huddersfield Baptisms Transcription both Rec Id [238] and [239]

Hopefully that will deal with all of them but there may be others so use the following strategy.
Notice the event has the following format:
1 EVEN
2 TYPE Ω Whole Record Citation
2 SOUR @S240@

In this case the Source record to delete has Record Id [240].
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Sorry. I wasnt clear. It was those import records I still needed to get rid of and I didnt realise they were in the source list. I have deleted all three of them.
My feeling is that will deal with the problem so I will output a GEDCOM and see.