* Help! Query to list number of sources per record?

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
stumped
Family Historian: V6

Help! Query to list number of sources per record?

Post by stumped »

Hello all!

I am having some issues identifying a functionality within Family Historian that allows me to see a list of all records within my family tree that includes the number of sources that are attached to each record.

Essentially I would like to be able to triangulate all of my data, and need to see which records do or do not have 3 or more sources. I have tried a couple of plugins that are available online as well as a search through several topics relating to sourcing, but have yet to find anything that solves this issue. I have also tried to export the data to excel to use its functionalities, but end up with a real mess of data.

The result I am looking for would look something like this or something similar:

Code: Select all

Individual Records	# of Sources	 Source #1				 Source #2		Source #3
Joe Blow		 		2					Aunt Jane interview	Census record     
Can anyone help me? I apologize if this has already been covered somewhere else! Please direct me to that thread if this is the case.

Thanks in advance!
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Re: Help! Query to list number of sources per record?

Post by Jane »

I don't think I have seen a plugin for this, although one could be written, however I am not sure how knowing how many sources you have for an individual helps, most people have wanted to check that all core facts have a source. So if you look in the fhugdownloads:queriesindi#downloads|> Downloads there are several queries which show the sources or missing sources for information in your database.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG.
I have moved this to the FH General Usage Forum as it is nothing to do with Research into your family history.

It is not entirely clear which Source Citations you are trying to list.
Usually, most facts recorded for an Individual record such as Name, Birth, Census, Marriage, Occupation, Death, etc, will each have one or more Source Citations.
So each Individual record will typically have far more than three Source Citations and mine often have more than a dozen.

What is the purpose of obtaining such a list?

To get a handle on such a list, trying selecting all your Source records in the Records Window and run the Where Used Record Links Plugin.
Then in the Result Set click on the Record Where Used column heading to bring similar records together.
The number of times the same record appears indicates how many Source Citations it has.
You could export that as a CSV and count those repetitions, then sort based on that count.
(BTW: It should be possible to modify the Plugin to perform that count and list Result Set in ascending count order.)

FYI: There are Queries and Plugins that focus on missing key facts and citations (such as Birth, Marriage, Death & Census) which is usually more significant than just a count of arbitrary citations.
See fhugdownloads:index|> Downloads and Links and look through the Queries and under the Genealogy Research section.
For Plugins see Lookup Missing Census Facts and Lookup Missing BMD Records.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
stumped
Family Historian: V6

Post by stumped »

Thank you Tatewise! I'll have to do a bit of playing with the data, but I think this shows me the capabilities I need.