* TMGv9 to FHv6 Media ID numbers

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
Gordon Lloyd
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

TMGv9 to FHv6 Media ID numbers

Post by Gordon Lloyd »

Since I imported my data from TMG to FH my media record ID's I have many gaps in the ID numbering. This has mainly come about because my media (images) were external to TMG whereas they are internal in FH where I merged the duplicate media.
Is there an easy way of renumbering the images in FH so that they now follow a continuous sequence but, at the same time, maintaining all existing links. I have searched "Getting the Most from Family Historian6' without success. Any help would be much appreciated.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: TMGv9 to FHv6 Media ID numbers

Post by tatewise »

See glossary:record_types_and_record_id|> Record Types and Record Id that explains Record Id and gives a link to renumbering, but why bother?
Don't think of them as an ordinal sequence, but just as unique record identities that happen to be numerical and managed automatically by FH.
If you are going to renumber Media records, then why not all the others? It is all rather pointless, because as soon as you perform various edit/delete/merge operations there will be gaps introduced again.

On a technical point, the Media images are not strictly internal to FH, but are files that can be stored anywhere on the PC but preferably within the Project Media folder.

The things you are talking about renumbering are Media records that are inside the FH GEDCOM file.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Gordon Lloyd
Gold

Post by Gordon Lloyd »

Many thanks Mike.

I take your point about "why bother"; that had occurred to me. However if I don't renumber it means I'm more quickly dealing with more cumbersome ID numbers. 'Not the end of the world' I know - I may indeed not bother.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I'm not sure what you mean by "dealing with more cumbersome ID numbers".
Apart from Individual records, where they usefully differentiate people with the same Name, I largely ignore the Record Id and just let FH deal with them.
What sort of dealings had you in mind :) :?:
If FH had chosen to use arbitrary alphanumerics instead of just numbers, would you even be considering reallocating them?
The only benefit of numbers is the largest ones were added last, so sorting into order may be useful to find the latest, but in most cases the same can be achieved by using the Updated date-time stamp.
Gordon Lloyd
Gold

Post by Gordon Lloyd »

I take your point, I probably will not now bother to make any changes. Many thanks.
Gordon Lloyd
Gold

Post by Gordon Lloyd »

Mike, in my haste yesterday I now realise I didn't properly answer your question re 'cumbersome numbers'. All I was trying to say was that if within a fact, in the future, I refer to a media ID it will be say a four digit number whereas it could have been say a three digit number if the numbers were consolidated. Probably not a great concern I know so, as I've already said, I probably won't bother to consolidate my media. Once again many thanks for your help.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Just to complete that picture (sic) when you look on the Media tab of say Individual or Source records the Record Id of the Media record is NOT shown. It is only if you dig into the All tab that the Record Id becomes apparent. Mostly, each Media record is identified by its Title, and as long as each Title is unique, you should never need to deal with the Record Id. That also goes for all the other types of record, with the possible exception of Individuals who are inconsiderate enough to have the same Name as each other, but even then their key dates and relatives are different.
Gordon Lloyd
Gold

Post by Gordon Lloyd »

Thankyou Mike.