* Date Filtering on Records window / Individuals tab

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
RogerF
Famous
Family Historian: V6.2

Date Filtering on Records window / Individuals tab

Post by RogerF »

Sorry, folks, but I'm baffled about the From Year/To Year filtering on the Records window/Individuals tab. I've experimented until I'm blue in the face, I've searched the Help every whichway but loose, and I STILL have no idea what function these filters provide. Any guidance?
Roger Firth, using FH to research the FIRTHs of Lancashire and Yorkshire, and the residents of the market town where I live.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Date Filtering on Records window / Individuals tab

Post by tatewise »

I agree it is a mystery, and there is no Help.
But with a bit of experimentation my guess is that the two fields are back to front!?
Try swapping their meaning and see if that makes any more sense.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
RogerF
Famous

Post by RogerF »

Sorry, Mike. I've tried that, and it makes just as little sense as the proper way round. Unless we're mutually misunderstanding the functionality, I think there's a bug here.
Roger Firth, using FH to research the FIRTHs of Lancashire and Yorkshire, and the residents of the market town where I live.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

I have always assumed the date filters are to produce a list of people who were known to be, or could have been, alive at least some of the time between the two dates. The filter Options allow you to Use estimated dates and to Exclude undated individuals. When both options are ticked (by default) you may still get some undated people in the list. This is because the estimated date effectively means they are no longer undated.

Try it with a very narrow date range (e.g. From 1810 To 1811) and I think you will see it works.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

So I think you are saying that From 1810 will exclude all who died before 1810 and To 1811 will exclude all who were born after 1811.

Nevertheless, there is no Help for any of the new Record filtering functions, and is one of many such omissions that still exist in FH V6 despite being reported during or soon after Beta Testing. In fact the Help for this feature still describes the FH V5 filtering. For those with access see Beta > Issues > Help Pages - Records Window.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Yes, updating the Help file is one of those beta issues that have still not been addressed. However I don't think there is a bug here: the filters do work as I would expect.

The date filters are easier to understand on the Media tab, where the only option is to include/exclude undated records. On the Individuals tab if estimated life dates are used this can lead to some confusing-looking results. However I think closer inspection will show that the results are consistent with estimated life dates being applied to some undated records.
Lorna
RogerF
Famous

Post by RogerF »

Thank you, Lorna, I can see where I was going wrong. Because my research focus is roughly 90% on DoB and 9.99% on DoM, I was treating the filters as applicable to the Date of Birth. When viewed as filters on life timespan, they do indeed work as intended.
Genie15
Diamond

Post by Genie15 »

I also had problems with the Records Window - Individual - From Year To Year.
With the threads of 2015 it helped a bit.
Used dates either side of the birth date (1888 and 1890) for someone born 1888.
But then I sorted the birth dates in descending order and much clearer to find a person when born.
Got a list of births from 1890 down to 1814 and those with no birth date.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Working on the assumption that the filter selects Individuals alive between the chosen dates, then those alive between 1888 and 1890 may include anyone born during the previous 100 years or so. Thus people with a DoB between 1790 and 1890 are highly likely, plus those with no actual DoB but with an estimated DoB in that range. Those with an actual or estimated DoD before 1888 would be excluded.