* Electoral registers

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
brianlummis
Superstar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Electoral registers

Post by brianlummis »

Paula

Have a look at fhugdownloads:contents:ancestral_sources_template_electoral_register_uk|> Ancestral Sources Template ~ Electoral Register UK to see if that will help.

Brian
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Paula, whatever technique you adopt please remember to be consistent.
The only standard GEDCOM fact that you might use is Residence.
Otherwise, you will need to create a custom event to record the details, and a new type of Source record.

Brian's suggestion is perfectly valid, but does involve some 'massaging' of AS to use that technique.

You may need a Register of Electors custom event, either for converting AS created Census events, or for manual entry of the data in FH. See fhugdownloads:contents:electoral_roll|> Fact Set ~ Electoral Roll for Property Box Tab and fhugdownloads:contents:property_box_tabs_military_census_wills|> Property Box Tab ~ Military & Census & Wills.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Paula,

Consistency is to be recommended whatever software you use -- choosing one method of doing each particular thing and making a habit of doing it that way means that when you come back to some work you've done after a period away, you will understand how you've got to where you are -- and know where and how to find or change your information. And it makes things easier for people with whom you share information -- they will find consistency and not get confused.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Just to echo what Helen said, the key is to decide how you want to record things, you may not be "obsessed" yet, but it creeps up on you and you may suddenly find obsession striking. When Mike says be consistent, he simply means if you start off using Residence events, always do so, if you want to use a custom event, then stick to that.

One of the big benefits of this group is that you are being advised by people, many of whom are trying to help you avoid the mistakes we all made when starting out. Getting all your information in and sourced helps so much when you inevitably find you got the wrong "John Smith" and need to unpick a bit of tree. I recently reviewed a bit of tree I researched 30 years ago and found a mistake which took a while to unravel, because 30 years ago I did not source everything well enough.

Personally I create residence facts for Electoral rolls as they don't provide much extra information.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

You probably left too soon. But for others worried about fh and consistency - fear not. I get on fine with no consistency at all.

I have used four different genealogy software programmes over the years and complicated matters further by entering my father's research just as he did it and noted it back in the 1930s. Censuses treated only as sources in those days and over the years I have several times changed my mind about how to deal with them and whether or not to use witnesses and roles. I have always been too busy to go back and tidy up.

The advantage of software like fh is to store, sort and search the data one collects and the searching on fh is immediate and simple. It makes fh far more tolerant of hap hazard data entry than a relational database.
gwilym'smum
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by gwilym'smum »

Hi
I find it difficult to know how a direct line has been established with certainly without researching other family members and witnesses, informants, neighbours etc as this adds credibility to research. Then I probably come into the obsessive category! ;)
Also they are only names, not people with stories who had problems and survived or not.
Ann
Researching Mayer, Parr/Parr, Simcock, Beech and all related families