* Advise re transfer to new PC

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
celiaskelton
Silver
Family Historian: None

Advise re transfer to new PC

Post by celiaskelton »

I have a new PC without a disc drive. On my old PC I use v5 which I purchased on a disc. Can I download v5 on the new PC and if so do I pay for this, or if I opt to download v6 what will this cost? Thanks for any advice. Celia
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Re: Advise re transfer to new PC

Post by Jane »

Probably the easiest way is to purchase a V5-V6 upgrade as a download as this can be installed on the new PC and you can enter your V5 and V6 codes.

Alternately copy the contents of your V5 CD to a USB stick and install the V5 program from that.

You can see the prices for any available version on the Family Historian Store page
https://store.family-historian.co.uk/
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Advise re transfer to new PC

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG Celia.
Yours is a common problem and there is [kb]|[/kb] advice to help you.
You can stick with your existing FH V5 or upgrade to FH V6 via https://store.family-historian.co.uk/ which will cost £24.99 but will be well worth it.
You only need one FH Licence to run it on two PC that you own, see how_to:about#licence_agreement|> Licence Agreement.

Firstly, checkout the how_to:reinstall_family_historian|> Family Historian Installation Advice.
Then review the how_to:family_historian_installation_details|> Family Historian Installation Details and scroll down to section on "If you only have an Installation CD, but your new PC is a Netbook/Laptop with no CD drive...

To perform the full migration from old PC to new PC see the how_to:family_historian_migration_guide|> Family Historian V5 & V6 Migration Guide.
If anything is not clear then please ask again.

If you use Ancestral Sources then don't forget to migrate that too.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry