* Order of Media Pictures

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Bob Pigeon
Family Historian: V6

Order of Media Pictures

Post by Bob Pigeon »

I have just got Family Historian to take over from TMG. The Media facility seemed a brilliant way to organise all my family history photos. I have uploaded some 60 so far but then found I had the wrong one first up on the Focus Window. How can I re-order them in the Media Window or do I just have to be more disciplined in which one I load up first?
LornaCraig
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Order of Media Pictures

Post by LornaCraig »

Hello Bob, wlecome to FHUG.

When you link Media directly to an individual you can see the list on the Media tab of their Property Box. If you select one in the list by clicking on it you can then use the black up/down arrows in the toolbar of the Media tab to change the order of preference as indicated by the number in the Pref column.

By default the list will be sorted in date order for any pictures with dates, and undated pictures at the end. However clicking on the Pref column heading will sort them into preference order.
Attachments
Media tab toolbar.JPG
Media tab toolbar.JPG (15.14 KiB) Viewed 3621 times
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Hi Bob,
In migrating from TMG did you use the how_to:import_from_tmg|> Import from The Master Genealogist (TMG) guide?
There are many TMG migrants here who will be happy to help with any migration issues.
Please study the how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers that for example covers the Preference Ordering of Pictures in "Getting the Most From Family Historian" in Chapter 4. Pictures & Multimedia Part 1: The Property Box.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Bob Pigeon

Post by Bob Pigeon »

Thank you Lorna and Mike for your speedy responses but I am still struggling. When I click on the item on the Media tab, the black arrows do not light up. They only seem to light up when I click on one of the chidren.
I have also put a date on the picture I want to be top of the pile and on none of the others but it has had no impact.
Similarly I have been to the "Knowledge base and found "Getting the Most from Family Historian" but have not found any "chapters". Do I need to buy the book? Searching for "Preference Ordering of Pictures" produced no relevant results.
I apologise for being a duffer.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Sorry, I'm not sure what the problem is. (And where are you 'clicking on one of the children'?)

Can you post a screenshot showing the media tab which is causing the problem?

Here is an example from the FH Sample Project. With the second item selected in the Media tab of the Property Box, both black arrows are enabled and the item can be changed to preference 1 or preference 3.
Property Box Media Tab.JPG
Property Box Media Tab.JPG (49.81 KiB) Viewed 3524 times
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

From how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers did you link to how_to:family_historian_documentation|> Family Historian Documentation where it explains how to download Getting the Most From Family Historian 5 for free and that you must buy Getting the Most From Family Historian 6, but the comparison table lower down shows that most chapters are very similar.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Bob Pigeon

Post by Bob Pigeon »

Thanks Lorna,
Found it and sorted. You are a star!
Thanks Mike
I will try again
I am amazed that you both reply so quickly and so helpfully. especially when you are dealing with the less able of your bretheren!
Regards
Bob Pigeon