* Running repeated queries

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
E Wilcock
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Running repeated queries

Post by E Wilcock »

This is not a problem but I would like to know what more experienced fh users do when they may wish to identify the most recently used query in order to edit the final row and repeat it? It is something I am doing a lot.

And whether anyone has a system for naming queries?

Can one perhaps open the custom query results in the left margin and maybe then save it as a new custom query?

I'd like to tidy things up. I am getting a multiplication of saved custom queries, not systematically named.
If I save results to a named list, I multiply my named lists too.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Running repeated queries

Post by tatewise »

The easiest way to keep track of recently used Queries is to lock their Query Window.
Either right-click on the window icon in the Navigation bar on the left and choose Lock Window (prevent reuse),
or select that window icon and choose Window > Lock Window (prevent reuse) from menu bar.
That adds a small padlock symbol to the icon in the Navigation bar.
Then when you run other Queries that window will not get overwritten.
Use the same options the unlock the window.
Note that you can still Close a Locked window.

BTW: The same trick can be applied to any type of window.

Yes, you can click on any existing Query Window icon on the left and then use Save As Custom Query.
The window is not just the Result Set but holds the entire Query with all its tabs (General, Columns, Rows).

Naming new items and deleting redundant ones is the same as for anything on your PC.
You just need to be organised and think systematically about what naming conventions will help you.
Unfortunately, you cannot group Queries into logical Folders like you can PC files.
So the only alternative is to start the Name of related Queries with the same keywords so they get listed together.

It is a good idea to use the General tab to describe what the Query is meant to do.
Then when you come back to it much later you can decide whether it is still needed or not.
You can also tick the Read Only option to prevent precious Queries being accidentally edited, but they can still be deleted, so make sure you backup your Queries.

Similarly, for Named Lists, use systematic names and right click to choose List Properties for List Notes about their purpose.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Thank you so much Mike . I didnt know anything about locking windows and will investigate.
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

On the matter of naming queries, I prefix the most often used ones with an underscore character in their title, so that they appear at the top of the alphabetical list of queries.
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

If you frequently want to lock a Query window you may find it easier to use Tools > Workspaces and in the column headed Re-use of Open Windows Permitted set the option to No for the Query Window. This will, in effect, lock Query Windows automatically so that you don't have to remember to do it manually. (Although with this method you don't get the padlock symbol in the Navigation Bar). As Mike says, you can still close a locked window if you want to.

Note that in the Workspace preferences the same can be done for most other window types, the only exceptions being the Focus Window and the Records Window.
Lorna