* Exporting multiple GEDCOM files to Family Historian 6

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
ddnuckols
Family Historian: V6.2

Exporting multiple GEDCOM files to Family Historian 6

Post by ddnuckols »

I would like to transfer four separate GEDCOM files from a previous genealogy program to my recently purchased Family Historian 6 software program. Each of the four existing files branch out from one of my four grandparents. If possible, I would like to combine the four GEDCOM files into one Family Historian 6 tree. That would eliminate the need for me to enter the information on three of the grandparents ancestors to the base file transfer from one of my grandparents. If that is not possible, is there a way that I can transfer the four separate GEDCOM files from the previous genealogy program to four new files in the Family Historian 6 program (in other words, I would end up with the same four family trees that I had in my previous genealogy program)?

David
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Re: Exporting multiple GEDCOM files to Family Historian 6

Post by Jane »

Short answer Yes. this was discussed recently here:
Structuring your project (16348)

See glossary:merge_compare_files|> Merge/Compare File for details on how to merge multiple files together.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG David.

What is the previous genealogy product you are importing from?

See how_to:index#importing_to_family_historian|> Importing to Family Historian and follow the advice for that product.
There may need to be corrective edits to be applied, and Media files to be transferred.

I advise that you start with one grandparent tree and become familiar with FH before attempting the Merge process, which does have some pitfalls for the unwary. :!:
See how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers for advice.

Then import another grandparent tree as a new Project, and after any essential corrective edits, Merge with initial Project.
Repeat that process with the two remaining grandparent trees.

Presumably all four grandparent trees have the same child descendants?
If so, then each Merge process should automatically synchronise and combine those records.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ddnuckols

Post by ddnuckols »

Jane and Mike,

Thank you for your replies. The original software program that I used (maybe from 10 years ago) was from Sierra and it was called Generations Family Tree Software - Liberty Edition. It is not compatible with Windows 10.

David
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

See how_to:import_generations|> Import from Generations Family Tree already pointed to by Mike for details on problems you may get when importing from Generations.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
ddnuckols

Post by ddnuckols »

I imported from 4 separate GEDCOM files (one for each grandparent). It was successful. However, I have a couple of instances where the family tree has two boxes (and associated links) for the same person. Is there a simple way that I can manually delete the extra box without voiding the person's other box and information? In addition, can I manually "clean-up" the family tree branches so that it is more compact and structured?

David
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

David, take things slowly and review topics in how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers to become familiar with FH.

Have you followed the UDF advice?

The two boxes in your Diagrams are probably linked by curved coloured ribbons.
They are NOT duplicated entries, but the same person in two family relationships due to inter-marriage of relatives.

There are a number of methods for editing/tidying Diagrams but are NOT topics for this Importing and Exporting Forum.
Post in the FH General Usage Forum with screenshots and a better explanation of what you mean by clean-up, compact & structured.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry