* fact type with blue arrow

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
DBAMorse
Platinum
Family Historian: V6

fact type with blue arrow

Post by DBAMorse »

Help please, I seem somehow to have done something wrong. When listing the facts for an individual, his children have a blue arrow by the side. I understand this to be a witness fact. What I had input was that this individual was the father and thus should be shown as such with the relevant child's name by the side. Where have I gone wrong?

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance
Derek
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: fact type with blue arrow

Post by tatewise »

Sorry Derek, but I don't recognise your description, so could you post a screenshot please.

By "listing the facts for an individual" do you mean selecting the Facts tab of the Property Box?
If so, I don't understand how children would be listed there, as they are NOT facts.
Children usually only appear at the bottom of the Main tab or the Focus Window pane.

How did you input that individual as the father?

I'm not sure what screen displays a father "with the relevant child's name by the side".

Does your Facts tab look something like the screenshot below?
If so, you've done more than just linked the father to the children, as you've added him as Witness to Birth Facts too.
FactWitness.png
FactWitness.png (11.44 KiB) Viewed 4027 times
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Have you recorded the father as the witness (informant) who registered the birth?

The birth of a child and the registration of the birth are separate events but the distinction in the Facts tab is lost if you add the witness/informant to the birth event . The parent-child relationship remains intact, but instead of showing two events in the timeline, one the birth of the child and the other the ‘witnessing’, FH replaces the ‘Birth of son/daughter...’ line with a witness line in the parent’s Facts tab.

This issue, and various suggestions for customising the the wording of the label and sentence in the Facts tab, were discussed at length in this topic: Fact Entries (13541)
Lorna
DBAMorse
Platinum

Post by DBAMorse »

Thank you both.
Lorna, I think you may have hit the mark. The father, and the individual I am sorting out the facts on, was indeed the informant. I will investigate the topic link you suggest. But I also attach a screen shot to show what, to me, seemed amiss. That is, some children are named "Birth of ….etc" and some are just "Birth".

Thanks again.
Derek
Screen grab.jpg
Screen grab.jpg (241.57 KiB) Viewed 3987 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The ones that say Birth of ... with a grey bullet are Timeline Facts that only exist in the child's Individual record as a standard Birth event without any Witnesses. These are shown/hidden by the Show Timeline Facts button, and the choice of facts is governed by Tools > Preferences > General tab Timeline Facts...

The ones that say just Birth with a blue arrow, are similar child Birth events that have had the father added as a Witness but the Role chosen has NOT been defined in Tools > Fact Types for the Birth event.
Also the Sentence shown below for this case probably does not make sense.

What Role have you chosen and what is its purpose?

In Tools > Fact Types select Birth event, then click Edit and Roles... and then Help and see Witnesses Dialog.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
DBAMorse
Platinum

Post by DBAMorse »

Thanks Mike,
I have since seen that this topic was raised some time ago. I think I can, with patience, work out how to achieve my goal following your instructions as well as earlier posts.
Thanks for your time.

Derek.