* merging a GEDcom file with a recent TMG to FH file

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
fmr296
Family Historian: V6

merging a GEDcom file with a recent TMG to FH file

Post by fmr296 »

I have recently converted my TMG file - 800 individuals, to Family Historian, my initial cursory review suggests everything went well, and there were no obvious problems.

I would now like to merge a GEDCOM file given to me by a cousin, that has approximately 100 individuals, of which I expect there to be a maximum 10-15 overlapping individuals.

Other than creating a duplicate FH file beforehand, are there any special precautions I need to take prior to merging the databases?

Will there be a way to quickly and easily identify the duplicates and remove them?

Do I need to do anything prior to the merge process ?

Thank you for any advice.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: merging a GEDcom file with a recent TMG to FH file

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG.

Did you see the how_to:import_from_tmg|> Import from The Master Genealogist (TMG) and follow its advice such as handling UDF?

From which product did your cousin export the GEDCOM file?
See the how_to:index#importing_to_family_historian|> Importing to Family Historian and follow the advice for that product.
It is advisable to create an error free FH Project (as you did for the TMG import) before attempting any merging.

To assist with the merge, ensure the overlapping Individual records have similar key details.

See glossary:merge_compare_files|> Merge/Compare File for advice on merging.
The overlapping Individual records should merge automatically, but your review of each tab will confirm that.
The most common blunder is to only merge the Individuals record tab and overlook all the other record tabs.

Unless you are certain that the records from your cousin are well founded, then it is advisable to review the Source Citations for them before committing them to your master Project.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
fmr296

Post by fmr296 »

Thank you for your prompt reply.
I sincerely appreciate your assistance.
I appear to have made several erroneous statements, based on my infrequent use of my genealogical software.

10 years ago I created a TMG file from the PAF 5 file that my cousin had sent to me, both of these files were on an old computer which I have not used for several years. I will call this file TMG2 to decrease any confusion.

I have transferred both the TMG 1 and TMG 2 file to Family Historian separately and have created duplicate FH files of each.

I plan to proceed with a merge process with the caveats you have mentioned.

When you mentioned the blunder of merging the individuals record tab only, are you implying that other record tabs may not automatically merge ?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Firstly, are you sure you have followed all the advice in the how_to:import_from_tmg|> Import from The Master Genealogist (TMG) for both the TMG1 and TMG2 projects?

Have you read all the advice in the glossary:merge_compare_files|> Merge/Compare File?

The blunder is that users often only review the Individuals tab to merge Individual records, and assume that is the end of the merging process. They omit reviewing each other tab to merge Family, Note, Source, Media and other records, and then wonder why they get duplicates of those records, which can lead to strange effects such as duplicated Family partnerships, and multiple copies of Sources and Media.

Whether any records merge automatically depends on how similar FH considers them to be according to its own algorithms. That is why it is important to review each tab to ensure FH has handled all the records as you would prefer.
fmr296

Post by fmr296 »

Thank you for your advice.

FH is a great program and appears to be a relatively straight forward program to work with.

My experience with it is limited at this time, and I don't wish to task your patience at this early point, as I will probably need much more assistance in the future.

I am wondering whether if it would be your opinion to merge the 2 TMG files first, as I am much more familiar with it, and then transfer a merged file to FH?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry, but I have no knowledge of the TMG Merge feature, so cannot advise how effective that would be.
Other ex-TMG users here may be able to help.

However, if it is your intention to migrate permanently to FH, then the sooner you get stuck in the better.

Spend some time getting familiar with FH features and tidying up the TMG imports as per the advice given earlier.
See also how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers as advised when you joined last week.

There is no rush to perform the Merge. Wait until you are more familiar with FH terminology and tools.