* Write Registry Internet Explorer Shell Version

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
AdrianBruce
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Write Registry Internet Explorer Shell Version

Post by AdrianBruce »

I'm just working through setting up the Google Maps API stuff etc. I have my API key so went to the Map Life Facts plugIn and it told me that my current browser wasn't supported by the Maps API. I presume that is (as is usual with Google) less than the full truth as I presume that it's the internal browser that it was jibbing at, my default browser being the latest Firefox.

Anyway, I went to the plug-in "Write Registry Internet Explorer Shell Version" and it told me that "Version 9 is strongly recommended". So I set it to 9, rebooted and got the same complaint (which I didn't save the screen shot of, I'm afraid).

When I defied the strong recommendation and set the version to 11 (to match my version of IE under Windows 10) and rebooted, then tried Map Life Facts again, the sample map at the start is fine.

So is something awry with the recommendation of 9?
Adrian
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Write Registry Internet Explorer Shell Version

Post by tatewise »

Yes, sorry, the WRIESV Plugin dated 1 Apr 2016 is somewhat ancient and 9 is not the best advice nowadays.
Theoretically, that Plugin should never be needed as FH V6 sets the IE Shell Version to 11 on installation.
Perhaps it is worth me updating the recommendation in the Plugin as it still seems to be needed occasionally.

BTW: Have you seen the 2 other recent threads in this Forum about Map Life Facts that add fixes for the API Key and some new map mode features?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

Thanks Mike. It might be that I ran the WRIESV plug in fairly recently and followed its advice, thus downgrading from 11 to 9. But why on earth I ran it in the first place, I have no idea. I would certainly have had a reason - perhaps not a very good one in retrospect. Maybe I read something that would have been better left unread!

I know that there have been a couple of mapping threads recently - I was working on the basis of following the major instructions first, and if they didn't work...
Adrian
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The key (sic) points from those threads are that the API Key is difficult to Copy & Paste without the fix, and the Leaflet Maps mode avoids disclosing your API Key in online maps.
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

Thanks Mike - I copied the API Key quite happily and I was studiously ignoring the Leaflet Maps business.

At risk of bringing in off-topic material - one comment and one question.

Comment - in plugins:help:map_life_facts:0_google_maps_geocoder#manage_api_key|> Manage API Key it says
Enable Billing Account with your credit/debit card
It may be worth pointing out that if you use Google Play for chargeable Android stuff, then your credit card is probably already enabled. Or that's what appeared to happen to me.

Question - in plugins:help:map_life_facts:manage_quota_limits|> Map Life Facts ~ Manage Quota Limits it says:
"Geocoding API
"The Premium plan web service requests and Premium plan Javascript API requests can be ignored, and only the Requests limits below need restricting. "
However, my Premium plan Javascript API requests has defaulted to unlimited, whereas the image in that URL has 3 limits set to 1,000. Should I have 1,000 or doesn't it matter?

Similarly, my Premium plan web service requests has defaulted to unlimited, 5,000 and unlimited. Is this OK?
Adrian
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Premium Plan usage only applies to Billing Accounts created prior to the New Pay-As-You-Go scheme.
See https://cloud.google.com/maps-platform/pricing/ and scroll down to FAQ.
So those Quotas do not apply to you.
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

Thanks Mike - kinda weird that I appear to have unlimited quota for something not applicable to me. But hey, this is Google....
Adrian
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Write Reg IE Shell Version Plugin Version 1.2 Date 08 Oct 2018 is now in the Plugin Store and strongly recommends selecting the IE Shell Version 11, which should work best nowadays, and chooses the latest IE version available in earlier Windows versions where earlier IE versions apply.
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

Updated just in case, thanks!
Adrian