* Website created with FH software - can I include that in a WYSIWYG Website software programme

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Columbine
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Website created with FH software - can I include that in a WYSIWYG Website software programme

Post by Columbine »

This is probably a silly question, but here goes anyway in case it saves me hours of time. I hope it hasn't been answered before but I can't find it if it has. I have a Website software programme on my pc - Serif Web PlusX7 which I have used for some time now to produce my personal website - it includes family tree and other stuff. In the past I have put the family tree in manually - page by page. I am in the process of redoing my website & was looking for a way to combine the family tree without having to put it in page by page. As FH can produce a website for me is there a way to combine this in my WYSIWYG software. I can make the website from my family tree in FH & view it on my computer, but I don't know how to get it from there into part of my online website. My Serif Web PlusX7 WYSIWYG software has an inbuilt FTP for uploading & it does the thinking for me. I can't see a way to make this work all on the same site but I am not very experienced & maybe am missing something obvious. Would appreciate comments, observations & help. Thank you.
Look for the small things in life to bring joy.
Gowermick
Megastar

Re: Website created with FH software - can I include that in a WYSIWYG Website software programme

Post by Gowermick »

Whilst I can’t answer your particular query, have you thought of loading your tree to a site like Tribalpages?
All you need to do is upload your gedcom, and they do the rest. Why re-invent the wheel :D
Try out my links below to see if you like it. They offer a free site which is adequate for most people, and also for a small yearly fee, an enhanced version (more people and more photos etc.)
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com
Columbine
Gold

Re: Website created with FH software - can I include that in a WYSIWYG Website software programme

Post by Columbine »

Thanks Mike; I have considered Tribal pages & very many other sites too but it wasn't really what I wanted. I really wanted to keep all my website 'stuff' on one site especially as I have my own domain name. If I can't do what I want with it I may have to in the end put the tree(s) on somewhere like Tribal pages with a link from my website. I also like to be able to work on my website offline doing updates etc, as we have very poor internet speeds out here in the countryside, & then upload when we have a good speed, so another reason for keeping everything together if I could.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Hi Columbine. I am another Mike.
I'm not familiar with Serif Web PlusX7 but have built my own websites and understand the basics of HTML, CSS, and the FH web site features.

Presumably Serif Web PlusX7 lets you view your 'web pages' on your PC in your browser, in much the same way the FH 'web pages' can be viewed in your browser.

So those two sets of 'web page' files need to be integrated together to form a single viewable 'web site' on your PC browser.
Then the process of using FTP to upload to your 'web server' is relatively starightforward.
It is essentaily copying the files from your PC to the 'web server' computer.

You already know where the FH created web page files reside on your PC.

Do you know where the Serif Web PlusX7 web page files reside on your PC?

It may mostly be a matter of telling FH to put its files alongside the Serif Web PlusX7 files.
You can do that in the Publish > Create a Website wizard Step 8: Final Details > Folder setting.
In that step you can also set the Home page file name.
BTW: The Advanced button lets you include references to Serif Web PlusX7 style definitions that would make the FH pages look more like your other web site pages.

So in Serif Web PlusX7 there just needs to be a hyperlink to that Home page file name in the Folder used by FH.
Is there anything in Serif Web PlusX7 that might let you do that?

I suspect this may all be a bit over your head just now, but stick with it and it should become clearer.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

Download the free Filezilla ftp programme. Add your website ftp login credentials to it and you can then connect to your webhost.

You can certainly then upload your FH produced website to you webhost using this ftp programme.

However, there are a couple of things to consider

1: Your existing site will have a index.(html/htm/php) file as will the website produced by FH. You cannot have more than one index file in the root of your site, if you do then the webserver doesn't know which one you want and if both have the same extension one will overwrite the other. (There are exceptions to this but we don't need to go there).

2: Your existing site will have its own menu structure as will the website produced by FH and integrating the two may result in problems with same named pages and also linking back to the main site pages or the FH site pages.

There are a couple of solutions to this problem. The one I would recommend is that you create a folder on your website for the FH website and you upload all the FH files into that folder. Then create a menu link in your main website that takes you to the index file for the FH site in its new folder on the webhost. You can then add a custom menu item to the FH website to take you back to your main sites index file.

So your directory structure would look something like:

public_html/index.html
public_html/fh/index.html

I typed this reply as Mike Tate was typing his.
Columbine
Gold

Post by Columbine »

Mike, as always you come up trumps & you explain things in a language that even I can understand; thank you. Whilst you are right it will take me a while to work through that but I can see the logic of it (which is half the battle with me!) & so once I am free of counting the money from our Country Market today & doing the accounts, I will be spending the weekend attempting this. I will let you know how I get on but it maybe a few days yet before I manage it. Of course if I succeed first time I'll be shouting it from the rooftops lol! Thank you.
Columbine
Gold

Post by Columbine »

Thank you Colin, I can see now where all this is leading & am beginning to understand a bit better what is required. I can see I am going to have an interesting weekend trying things out. I really appreciate the help I'm given in this group; I don't visit it often but when I do there are always people willing to offer their advice & expertise, which is so helpful to me when I struggle to understand some of the procedures. Thanks.
arthurk
Superstar

Post by arthurk »

I'm not familiar with the Serif product either, but I found an online version of the Help file:

https://community.serif.com/appresource ... ebplus.htm

In the left hand menu, select Setting up Sites and Pages > Opening an existing site and at the bottom of that page there's a section headed Importing HTML web pages and sites.

There's also a direct link near the top of that page:

https://community.serif.com/appresource ... _and_sites

Hopefully that will help - it would be best to start small with a couple of test pages first to see how things go.
Columbine
Gold

Post by Columbine »

Thanks Arthur; I'll check them out.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Columbine, the advice that Colin gives is also sound.

I have pulled a PDF copy of the Serif Web Plus X7 User Guide from the Internet, and it seems to offer the tools you need.
The Navigation Items section on Adding hyperlinks and actions may offer what you need.

If you already have a web site online, it would help to post a link to it, so we can see its style.
i.e. Does it use tabs or menus or a navigation bar to move around its pages.
That should give us a better idea of how you might integrate the FH web pages that have their own navigation style.
e.g.
Checkout my http://www.tatewise.co.uk/ web site and follow its link to TATE & SCOTT Family Ancestry where on that page there is a link back to Web Home Page of Beryl & Mike Tate.
Notice how the style of all the pages use similar fonts, colours, and background.
Columbine
Gold

Post by Columbine »

Thanks Mike; I can now see perhaps the help on Web Plus X7 may have the answers I needed: I just didn't know what I was looking for obviously!! I am going to sit down & read all the responses very carefully & try out & see where I go. My current website is http://www.shrubsolefamilytree.co.uk/ which was basically my first attempt that's been added to & fiddled with, so now a bit jaded & I have started preparing a new one, which basically will have a similar layout with the navigation bars at the top. (Plus I have learnt so much about the Web Plus software over the last few years and realise I made lots of mistakes along the way - spending time working on master pages pays dividends as I now realise, but didn't when I started out). Have had a quick look at yours which is brilliant; I will go back & look at it further later. For now I have to leave this whilst I go count money & do the accounts for this morning's market.
Columbine
Gold

Post by Columbine »

Hi all, Well I have spent a few hours playing around & I'm most of the way there. Wouldn't have reached anywhere near this stage though without your help.
Once I began to see the logic of it & saw that there was a facility within Serif Web Plus (as Arthur had pointed out) & I followed it I thought it might be the best route to go, but whilst it imported it into Serif Web there were so many errors with layout & background colouring that I would have to adjust each individual page. I tried tweaking it with different options etc. but all with the same result; I suspect as Serif is gradually doing away with Web Plus & have already discontinued the use of some facilities that more & more will go so maybe a good thing that wasn't working.
I then tried Colin's advice where he starts off with 'There are a couple of solutions......." I downloaded Filezilla. Created a folder for FH & uploaded it there & was most surprised when it worked!! (not your advice Colin but my executing it). I can then do a link from my website to the FH website but don't know how to do it the other way around - can someone help me again please? If you want to have a look at what I've done so far you will find my link on http://www.shrubsolefamilytree.co.uk/page661.html & from there the link takes you to the fh website (small sample one I did) but I don't know how to link from there back to my website. Thanks
Columbine
Gold

Post by Columbine »

Hi all, Please ignore my last request for help. Have just figured it out - it's when I create the website within Fh I can add the link in there. Brilliant, I will now get that done but haven't quite finished yet & wish to ask something further.
Colin said my directory structure should look something like:
public_html/index.html
public_html/fh/index.html

Now that I can do this I would like to include more than one fh tree (I have three family trees going plus one name study & have several different Shrubsole trees so all in all could have about 8 trees if not more).
Can I do this
public_html/index.html
public_html/fh1/index.html
public_html/fh2/index.html
public_html/fh3/index.html etc. etc. & putting in a new folder for each fh1 fh2 fh3 etc.

Will that work? Thanks.
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

Yes that will definitely work. You will just need the links to the three trees from your main site.

As to look and feel you can adjust that with settings in the CSS file if necessary.

I think that you may have something a little bit wrong still. Hitting home on that page takes you to http://shrubsolefamilytree.co.uk/fh/ind ... index.html
Columbine
Gold

Post by Columbine »

Thank you Colin; there will be no stopping me now lol!! I'll look into those links again.

I am just so grateful to everyone for the help you give. I thought there had to be a way and was really struggling until you all showed me the logic of how it works. I don't pretend to fully understand it all but just enough to get my new website configured how I want it & I shall be a very happy bunny when I can publish the new one.

I will let you all know when I get round to that so you can see the results, but it will probably be a couple of months yet whilst I finish working on it.

In the meantime thank you all again for the help & no doubt I'll be back again asking for more of it in the future. :)
Columbine
Gold

Post by Columbine »

I have just returned here to say I am extremely grateful for the help you all gave me with this query. I knew once it was achievable that I had a lot of work ahead of me to get my website rejigged & my trees tidied up, in between normal life.
I reached a point last week where I was ready to upload, albeit with a few pages to finish off later. Yesterday, with trepidation I started and am so pleased to say that my new look website is up and running, and this self taught silver surfer now has 9 different FH trees linked into my main website! Without your help though I would never have achieved this; I really am so grateful, thank you. In case you’d just like a peek here is the url http://www.shrubsolefamilytree.co.uk
:D
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

That is excellent feedback and a very interesting web site.
Would you be prepared for it to be added to our links:index|> Member Web Sites?

You say there are "9 different FH trees linked into my main website".
But I could only find thee: Shrubsole, Lockley & Collins.

BTW: On the Shrubsole and Collins tree's Home pages there is a link to DESCENDANTS OF ...
But I suspect the wrong Report has been associated with ToC 1 as they are actually Individual Summary Reports.
The Lockley tree has the correct Descendants Report.

There are some minor text & layout issues that you might like to resolve.

Most of the text across the website has well defined font style & point size.
But the text in the menu boxes across the top are not fixed in point size.
If I adjust my browser default font size, the text in those boxes changes, and may get too big for the box, so wraps around.

The submenu boxes with black background & white text are in several cases too many & too wide to fit within the webpage window, so the rightmost ones are inaccessible.

When you have got your website stable, you might be interested in some refinements provided by Plugins such as Improve Website or CD DVD HTML and Map Life Facts. There are examples of their use on my website found via links:members_web_sites:tate_amp_scott_ancestry_created_by_fh4|> Member Web Site ~ Tate and Scott Ancestry.
Columbine
Gold

Post by Columbine »

Thanks Mike; I am going to have a look at those points you mentioned & see if I can do something about them. The three main trees are in the menu bar at the top but the other 6 are linked in via the bottom of the page under the heading Other Shrubsoles.
I am happy to have it added in to the Knowledge base members web sites, but let me see if I can sort out the problems first. I'll be back :)
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

OK, I see those other 6 trees, although it is not at all obvious they are trees, and they are a long way down the page.

I have not checked them all, but they also suffer the link to DESCENDANTS OF ... problem and others.
Not only do they give Individual Summary Reports but sometimes for a different person.
e.g.
The Shrubsoles Of Canterbury lists DESCENDANTS OF JOHN SHRUBSOLE but shows the ISR for James SHRUBSOLE?
Also the caption under the main photo refers to Shrubsole Family of Harrietsham that is the same caption as for The Shrubsoles Of Faversham.

Sorry, I seem to be pulling all your good work apart, but professionally I was software design reviewer and systems test engineer, because I was good at identifying such inconsistencies.
Columbine
Gold

Post by Columbine »

Thanks Mike; I'm not a good proof reader nor checker so need this. Since your last message I'd realised the others hadn't got descendant reports either, so was currently working on that but I'll go through & rectify the names that I've done wrong - I can see why & how I've done it; I just haven't checked carefully enough. Now it's up and running I can work on a bit at a time to rectify it & hopefully when I've finished you'll have another look for me. :)
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

I don't know if you are aware of this odd issue I get in Firefox on my Mac.
Screenshot 2019-01-23 at 07.55.15.png
Screenshot 2019-01-23 at 07.55.15.png (102.66 KiB) Viewed 12356 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, that was what I referred to in my post yesterday at 14:55.
"The submenu boxes with black background & white text are in several cases too many & too wide to fit within the webpage window, so the rightmost ones are inaccessible."
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

Sorry Mike I hadn't realised that is what you were referring to. :oops:
PeterR
Megastar

Post by PeterR »

I found that I could navigate that over-long string of black boxes, but only by using the keyboard down and right arrow keys. I think I counted 32 items, which suggests the need for a more hierarchical menu structure.
Peter Richmond (researching Richmond, Bulman, Martin, Driscoll, Baxter, Hall, Dales, Tyrer)
Columbine
Gold

Post by Columbine »

Hi Mike, I'm back. I think I've sorted out all the problems with wrong names etc on the individual family trees - I've done away with descendant reports as that wasn't what I was trying to achieve really so have linked them all to the Head of the Tree, which was what I was originally trying to do. I have put a new navigation bar in which I can see is much better (I hadn't fully checked that once I'd added more than 2 pages to each heading). The navigation bar I can see is much better for navigating but I am not sure if this solves the problem you mentioned earlier But the text in the menu boxes across the top are not fixed in point size.
If I adjust my browser default font size, the text in those boxes changes, and may get too big for the box, so wraps around.
I don't know how to adjust my browser default font size to test it & also if it is still changing I am not sure how to stop it. Could you please be kind enough to have another look for me to see if it is okay now? Thanks. Sandra. p.s. Thanks to the others that are giving feedback too x