* Multiple copies of media

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Lowfamily
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

Multiple copies of media

Post by Lowfamily »

running v6.2.7 on WIN 7 Professional v6.1 and using irfanView as my photo editor. My photos are stored in Windows Picture Libraries

In FH, if I click on Media>View all media,
I obtain, on the left of the pop out, a list of media records and, on the right, icons of the pictures in those records.
Looking at the icons of the photos, I see that there are duplicates of many of the photos.
How can I tell which version of the duplicate(s) is being used by the FH program?
If I knew that, I could delete the spares, declutter, and reduce memory used.
Or, am I better off to just leave the duplicates and not risk losing a photo(s) in my FH program? (As you know from previous posts, I'm a computer clutz.)

As an aside, I am, probably, better now at "linking to existing media record" rather than "inserting from file" multiple times.

Thanks, in advance
LornaCraig
Megastar

Re: Multiple copies of media

Post by LornaCraig »

Hello. I have moved this to the General Usage forum, as the General forum is for discussions about wider issues not specific to FH.

I suspect that you don't have any duplicate media files, just duplicate Media Records in FH. In other words, although you are now better at "linking to existing media record" rather than "inserting from file" multiple times, the duplicates you are seeing were probably created in the past by "inserting from file" multiple times. If that is the case you won't be able to save any memory by deleting image files from your Picture Library, but you may be able to merge some of you Media Records within FH.

Try running the Check for Possible Duplicate Media plugin. This is what it does:
This plugin checks all the media records in your project and compares the files linked to them looking for files which are identical it will pick up both records which are linked to the same file and to those where the names are different, but the contents are the same.

When complete it returns a result set containing the matching records.

By selecting each pair in turn, just drag over both cells, you can then select Edit>Merge Compare Records from the menu and merge the records together.

Once the process is complete, it is recommended to use the "Check for Unlinked Media" plugin to clean up any duplicate files.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Lorna has beaten me to it with similar advice, but I have identified a few other points.

Strictly speaking, they are all 'used' by the FH program, otherwise they would not appear in that Media Window.

Also the thumbnails on the right may not indicate duplicated Media image files.
It may simply be that multiple Media records all link to the same Media image file.

Perhaps you are asking which of those Media records are not used by any other records?
If you drag the central vertical bar to the right, or use the horizontal scroll bar on the left, more columns will be revealed.
Namely: Record Id, Type, Format, Year, Links, File, Updated, Keywords.
These are the same as shown in the Records Window on the Media tab.

A crucial column is Links that identifies how many other record have links to this Media record.
So click on that Links column header and they will be sorted into numerical order.
Those listed at the bottom with Links = 0 are not used anywhere else and can probably be deleted.
See how_to:delete_a_large_number_of_records|> Delete Any Number of Records that explains how to do that.

Click on the File column header to sort them into order.
If the File column has duplicate entries, then those two Media records are linked to the same Media image file.
To eliminate the duplication those records can be merged into one and retain all the Links.
The same check can be performed by running the Check for Possible Duplicate Media Plugin.
If this situation exists, then ask for advice on how to merge records.

However, the Check for Unlinked Media Plugin will not help you as that only works for Media files in the Project Media folder and not elsewhere such as the Windows Pictures Library.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Lowfamily
Platinum

Post by Lowfamily »

Thank you for your multiple suggestions. I am working my way through them, familiarising myself with them, before doing anything drastic, which might delete records and/or photos.

Having used the plug-in, is there a way, having created a list of records with 0 links, to delete/remove, say, just one of them? I have only seen a button to delete them all. Nor is it clear to me, having created a list of records with 0 links, exactly how I send data to a "named list" which I have created.

Again, thank you for your useful help and tutorials.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Which Plugin are you referring to, because I don't think there is one that identifies Media Records with 0 Links.

(The Check for Unlinked Media Plugin is checking for Media Files in the Project Media folder not linked to a Media Record.)

All the delete methods are explained in the how_to:delete_a_large_number_of_records|> Delete Any Number of Records advice I mentioned.
That includes deleting single records, and adding records to Named Lists. Which parts are not clear?

Do you need a more detailed explanation of the relationship between Individual/Source Records with links to Media Records and their links to Media Files?
Lowfamily
Platinum

Post by Lowfamily »

Tatewise, you are correct--I had conflated the plug in with the identification of media records with 0 links. I have now (with the help of you experts) figured out how to move multiple items to Named List and, then, delete them.
1. Highlight multiple records to delete>Edit>add to named list
2. Then, View>Named List>Highlight the records added, above. Back to Lists>Delete Named List Records

If it is a single media item, all one must do is highlight it and click Delete. Multiple items require the above.

When I've worked my way through the Media>View All Media Records (and that will take some time...I'm only up to "C," so far), then I will attack the 0 links items.

As always, thank you experts, for your help.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Just in case there is a 'better' way, what are you trying to achieve in working "through the Media>View All Media Records"?
Lowfamily
Platinum

Post by Lowfamily »

When I view all media, each icon should have a photograph in it. In my case, many of the icons are blank, with a large X through it. In most cases the correct photograph is also there. Often, there are duplicates of the correct photo, as well. Unfortunately, the link from the FH program is usually to the blank icon. So, I am going through all media, alphabetically, ensuring that the link is to a valid icon and deleting the blanks. It is, then, my intention to go back and delete the icons which are not linked.
It is time-consuming but I am concerned not to do anything precipitate and risk losing the photo.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The large X means that the File Path Link in the Media record is NOT pointing to a valid Media file.
This may be because you have deleted or moved the Media file in Windows after you linked it into FH.
There is a repair tool in FH that may be able to locate any such moved the Media file.

How do you know that such Media with broken links have the correct photo elsewhere in another Media record?

It is not clear exactly what you mean by "ensuring that the link is to a valid icon and deleting the blanks".

I'm also not sure what you mean by "risk losing the photo".

It is my suspicion that maybe you do not thoroughly understand the connections between the photo shown against an Individual, the Media record in FH, and Media photo file in the Windows Picture Libraries. Before you go any further, perhaps a short tutorial would help?
Lowfamily
Platinum

Post by Lowfamily »

Doubtless, your suspicions are correct. Clearly, I don't possess the accurate vocabulary.
Which tutorial(s) do you recommend?

I know that a photo (media file?) exists, in addition to the to the one with an X through it because, when I open "View All Media," I see both of them, next to one another (and, in some cases, I also see a duplicate of the good photo)

Also, where would I find the repair tool to which you refer?

Thank you for all your help.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

In View All Media, just because two entries are next to each, may not mean they are related in any way.
The order of such entries can be easily rearranged.
However, I assume you know they are related, because they have the same caption Title underneath, which although a strong clue, is no guarantee they are actually meant to be same.
Is my assumption correct?

You seem to have worked with FH for 6 years, but have you ever studied the ƒh Book "Getting the Most From Family Historian"?
See Chapters 4. Pictures & Media Part 1: The Property Box & 5. Pictures & Media Part 2: The Media Window tutorials.
how_to:family_historian_documentation|> Family Historian Documentation explains where to get the Book.

I can also talk you through from Individual record through to image file with accompanying screenshots here.
Lowfamily
Platinum

Post by Lowfamily »

Thank you for your prompt and complete response.
Your assumption is correct that I identify entries as being the same because the titles are the same. I also double check by looking at the individual's profile, under "Media"

I will take your advice on reading the fh Book, in the near future. If I still have questions, I'll get back to this Forum thread.
Lowfamily
Platinum

Post by Lowfamily »

Tatewise, this may not be the correct place to ask the question but are you researching that part of the Scott family which includes James Sibbald Scott, 1st Bt. of Dunninald?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry, no.