* Export Gedcom File mishandles File Root

For users to report plugin bugs and request plugin enhancements; and for authors to test new/new versions of plugins, and to discuss plugin development (in the Programming Technicalities sub-forum). If you want advice on choosing or using a plugin, please ask in General Usage or an appropriate sub-forum.
E Wilcock
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Export Gedcom File mishandles File Root

Post by E Wilcock »

I have twice used this plug in to export in Roots Magic format and both times my Root person is missing from the tree.
I validated the fh file.
If I open the Export file in Notepad he is there at no 1.
He is missing from RM, both in direct opening of the exported Gedcom and when (third attempt) I create a RM project and then try the import.
Is there anything in this coding Mike that could cause a missing person? Is it that he has two names?

0 HEAD
1 SOUR ROOTSMAGIC
1 GEDC
2 VERS 5.5
2 FORM LINEAGE-LINKED
1 CHAR UTF-8
0 HEAD
1 NOTE @N7@
1 NAME Hyman /Goldstone/
1 NAME Chaim /Goldstone/
2 SOUR @S59@
1 SEX M
1 BIRT
2 DATE 1847
2 PLAC Russia
2 SOUR @S4@
2 NOTE His brother was born in Chisinau.
1 IMMI
2 DATE BET 1889 AND 1891
2 PLAC Manchester
(the gedcom continues)
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Export Gedcom File mishandles File Root

Post by tatewise »

The problem is the second 0 HEAD tag line.
There should be only one 0 HEAD line at the very beginning of the file (as there is) to start the Header record.
The second 0 HEAD is where the 0 @I1@ INDI should be to start the first Individual record.

I presume you have done nothing more than run the Export Gedcom File Plugin with default (RMT) Roots Magic Tree options.

Give me a while to investigate why that second 0 HEAD line might arise - it looks like some sort of bug.

I recall Exporting to Tribal Pages (16188) had a similar problem where the File Root person was omitted, but that was resolved by restoring default settings for (TPT) TribalPages Tree. But the underlying cause may be related to your problem.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Mike, you know me. I use things straight out of the box and dont understand many of the options offered. But that doesnt mean I didnt do something wrong.
I asked to run the plug in, I selected the Roots Magic format (normally I keep it at Gedsite) and the file saved to the Export folder of the Project in question.
I did not open and read the result but it puzzles me (and has always puzzled me) that the output gedcom file does open automatically on the fh screen - particularly as the plug in carried a warning not to read it in fh.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

If you go to the Export folder and click the exported RMT Gedcom file then it will open in FH.
That is what clicking on any file in Windows means ~ open it using the default application, in this case FH.
The warning applies to the optional button in the Plugin closing Memo window.
You must right-click a file and choose Open With to open it with another application.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Mike, I think we are at cross purposes. You asked what I did. I know about right clicking (tho I didnt do it) - only saying a list appears in fh after one runs the plug in.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry, I misunderstood your comment "that the output Gedcom file does open automatically on the FH screen".
I thought you had done that by clicking that Gedcom file, and was explaining why it happens.
Otherwise, how do you know it opens automatically in FH?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I have found the problem in the Export Gedcom File Plugin that causes that 2nd 0 HEAD tag line.
It occurs when there is both a File Root defined, and Sort Date _SDATE tags are required in the exported GEDCOM for such as (GST) GedSite or (RMT) Roots Magic Tree export mode, or some other export modes such as (TPT) TribalPages Tree.
The problem has existed since V3.3 Aug 2017 but will be fixed in the next published version of the Plugin.

In the meantime use one of the following workarounds:
  1. Use the command Edit > File Root > Clear File Root and click Save, before running Plugin.
    You will have to set the root person in the target product manually.
    After running the Plugin reset the File Root in FH.
  2. For (GST) GedSite or (RMT) Roots Magic Tree or (TPT) TribalPages Tree enable the (-) Brief Data option top left to inhibit Sort Dates and certain other details from being exported.
If neither of those workarounds are acceptable, then I can attached a fixed prototype Plugin here.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

You are very kind Mike.
Like many of us, I use your plugins all the time - It is only because I like them and use them, that I occasionally find something not working. No complaints at all.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The Export Gedcom Plugin - Resizing media (16281) posting has an updated Plugin V3.6.3 prototype that fixes this problem.