* How to show the correct relationship?

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
wianb
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

How to show the correct relationship?

Post by wianb »

Good morning - I am brand new to this genealogy thing and have run into my first conundrum. How do I show the relationship of the unmarried parents of 1 child & the fact that the father later married another woman and had 5 children? James and Jean (not married) had a son John. James later married Margret and had 5 children. James is my 2 x great grand father, Jean my 2 x great grand mother. I feel a little sorry for John and Jean as James & Margret emigrated to the USA from Scotland in the mid 1800's leaving Jean to bring up John alone - could not have been an easy life for them.
Ian Bonner
Fathers family - Scotland
Mothers family - Trinidad & Tobago and Barbados.
Jane
Site Admin

Re: How to show the correct relationship?

Post by Jane »

Simply add two Family As Spouse (using the tabs on the bottom of the Property box), add Jean, setting the status to "Never Married" and the child to that tab, then on the second tab add Margaret and her 5 children.
2018-09-01_105133.jpg
2018-09-01_105133.jpg (212.82 KiB) Viewed 3450 times
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Hi Ian, see how_to:recording_children_other|> Recording Children for Multiple Partnerships for full details.

That feature is covered in the ƒh Book Getting the Most From Family Historian in Chapter 2. Editing Records with the Property Box on about Pages 23-25 where it says Spouse Tabs and Add Spouse, etc.

I strongly recommend you spend some time working through how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers and especially the how_to:family_historian_documentation|> Family Historian Documentation so you know where to look things up, and understand the best way to record your data.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
wianb
Platinum

Post by wianb »

Thank you both for the replies. I have Simon Orde's book and am slowly working my way through it. I've had the software for a week - a long way still to go ;)
Ian Bonner
Fathers family - Scotland
Mothers family - Trinidad & Tobago and Barbados.