* Exporting to Tribal Pages

Importing from another genealogy program? This is the place to ask. Questions about Exporting should go in the Exporting sub-forum of the General Usage forum.
Pentris
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

Exporting to Tribal Pages

Post by Pentris »

I have started experimenting with exporting to Tribal Pages as I have some distant relatives using it.
I have noticed an issue. If there is a 'root'person setup in FH it does not get included in the export. I have moved my 'root' person around and each time the export to TP excludes that person. If I clear the 'root' in FH the export works successfully and appears to include all the necessary details. I attach screen prints of my settings for the first three screens in the export plugin. I did not make any changes to the fourth Labels screen. Any clues as to what I am doing wrong appreciated.

I use the same plugin but with the Ancestry option and that has no issues with having a 'root' defined in FH as it uses this as the 'Home' person.
Attachments
Export Gedcom for Tribal Pages page 3.JPG
Export Gedcom for Tribal Pages page 3.JPG (94.62 KiB) Viewed 5676 times
Export Gedcom for Tribal Pages page 2.JPG
Export Gedcom for Tribal Pages page 2.JPG (127.43 KiB) Viewed 5676 times
Export Gedcom for Tribal Pages page 1.JPG
Export Gedcom for Tribal Pages page 1.JPG (80.59 KiB) Viewed 5676 times
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Exporting to Tribal Pages

Post by tatewise »

That is a little mysterious. When I tested the Plugin the File Root always worked OK.

However, the Basic Options tab has non-standard settings for Tribal Pages.
Your Profile says you are using FH V6.2 so the Character Set Encoding should be (UTF8) UTF-8 with a Byte Order Mark.
The Multimedia Conversion should be (WIPE~ALL) Remove all the Multimedia entirely as TribalPages does not upload Media.

There are non-standard Tribal Pages settings on the Other Options tab.
Only the two Same Sex ... Asymmetric Format and three ... Age ... Move to Fact Note options should be ticked.
I suggest you click its Reset these TPT+ Options button.

Also on the Basic Options tab try using (-) Brief Data mode which excludes certain header details such as Named Lists and File Root designation that you won't need for your purposes.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Pentris
Diamond

Post by Pentris »

Thanks Mike, using default settings does seem to resolve the root problem. Tribal Pages does not import everything in the same way. I notice that sometimes it will show occupations correctly and other times puts the actual note into a separate place. Occupations 6 to 10 do not display correctly despite the export being ok.
Attachments
Export does not match Tribal Pages.JPG
Export does not match Tribal Pages.JPG (238.97 KiB) Viewed 5591 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

TribalPages has a very poor implementation.
The main deficiency is that it only allows one instance of each fact, such as Census, Residence, Occupation, etc.
So the Export Gedcom File Plugin creates custom facts for the additional instances, e.g. Occupation1 to Occupation10.
BUT TribalPages limits the number of custom facts allowed depending on the level of subscription.

Do the facts with missing Notes have a Source Citation and those that are OK don't?
Sometimes I've noticed that the larger Notes are listed separately nearer the bottom of the page just before the Citations.

Checkout the plugins:help:export_gedcom_file:export_gedcom_file|> Export Gedcom File Plugin help on Output Formats for plugins:help:export_gedcom_file:tpt_tribalpages_tree|> Export Gedcom File ~ (TPT) TribalPages Tree where all that is explained in more detail.
Pentris
Diamond

Post by Pentris »

All the occupations have citations showing the sources. I accept that there will be limitations with Tribal Pages but I will continue to seek out a good programme giving ease of access and long term storage of my family tree data.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Are the missing Notes listed further down on the same page in TribalPages?
Try clicking where it says ...more in the box on the right.
(Sorry I did not give that clue earlier - I have to remind myself how such products work.)

Investigate the Output Formats pages for the Export Gedcom File Plugin.
They include the online products most used by FH users and indicate which support GEDCOM best.
In particular look at Ancestry, FindMyPast, MyHeritage, and ZoomPast that all allow FREE family trees.
Of those, only MyHeritage reliably allows Media to be uploaded (via its Family Tree Builder companion program).
Sometimes FindMyPast will bulk upload Media too, but it is more complicated.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I have discovered a cause of Export Gedcom File mishandling the File Root that you reported earlier.
See Export Gedcom File mishandles File Root (16245) for details.