* Father ?

AS allows faster and more convenient creation of source records for Family Historian.
gwilym'smum
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

Father ?

Post by gwilym'smum »

Hi,
Just out of interest I wondered what other members would record. I have just received a marriage certificate for my great grandmother's illegitimate daughter. Mary was born in 1902, 3 years after my great grandfather died, in 1899. Her birth certificate does not name a father however on her marriage certificate it states, father, Thomas Yale, forgeman. Now I am sure that if I enter what is written I will get a warning that Thomas is dead. I think there has been discussion previously regarding whether to record what is written and what is true but in this case I wondered if others had any thoughts please. I have several other records to corroborate the fact that I have the correct people.
Regards Ann
Researching Mayer, Parr/Parr, Simcock, Beech and all related families
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Re: Father ?

Post by Jane »

Personally I would record the naming of Thomas Yale in the note rather than adding him as the ladies Father.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
themoudie
Famous

Post by themoudie »

Good evening Ann,

I agree with Jane's suggested recording method and would show Mary's father as an unamed father and the 'Status' of the 'Spouse/Partner' in FH as "Unknown" that is unless you know otherwise.

My regards, Bill
gwilym'smum
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by gwilym'smum »

Thank you for the replies, I will follow your advice. I do not know the name of the father, unlike her first illegitimate child! Thank you
Ann
Researching Mayer, Parr/Parr, Simcock, Beech and all related families
victor
Superstar

Post by victor »

I have something similar.
I name the child surname as the mother's name at the time of birth and list these separately with no father.
My grandmother had two children a few years after my grandfather died. Their birth certificates do not list the father so I presume they both had different fathers. One died in WW1 and never married. I haven't been able to find if the other, a daughter, married.